Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Standing on the Oche
Ok, so i used to stand right center, but my consistency is out the window. I was feeling adventurous so I closed my eyes and threw three darts. they grouped pretty darn small and off to the left. So I tried moving over to my right on the oche, and my consistency was pretty darn good.

My question is, am I going about this the wrong way? should i just continue to train standing centered?
Darts: 18g softtip Monster Cobra 2BA, 260 LStyle Champagne Shafts, L3 Flights.
Other Darts: 18g softtip Monster Soldier No.5
Best out (soft tip): 106 (16, Bull, d20).

Darts Connect ID: 1000002362
Wherever you get the most consistency and are comfortable would be the simple answer, although it is often commented upon by the stars that aligning yourself with the center of the board is preferable as your throwing arm is closest to the board.
As long you're able to keep your upper body as still as possible and you're not swiveling or moving your shoulders or head around when you throw I'd say it its ok.
One question though.....have you tried altering your angle at the oche? Changing your front foot position say from side on to a slight angle may also be a good way to re-align yourself and get some consistency, just make sure you note carefully what you're doing position-wise.
Note this is just one aspect of gaining consistency and we are all sooooooo different but keep throwing in as relaxed a manner as you can.

Good luck
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

If it works, use it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-11-2015, 08:35 AM)Dorian Wrote: Wherever you get the most consistency and are comfortable would be the simple answer, although it is often commented upon by the stars that aligning yourself with the center of the board is preferable as your throwing arm is closest to the board.
As long you're able to keep your upper body as still as possible and you're not swiveling or moving your shoulders or head around when you throw I'd say it its ok.
One question though.....have you tried altering your angle at the oche? Changing your front foot position say from side on to a slight angle may also be a good way to re-align yourself and get some consistency, just make sure you note carefully what you're doing position-wise.
Note this is just one aspect of gaining consistency and we are all sooooooo different but keep throwing in as relaxed a manner as you can.

Good luck

yeah actually. when i started i was at flat parallel, and have tried numerous positions all the way to perpendicular. the most consistent that way was the perpendicular way, but it feels very uncomfortable so i started seeking other methods.

I agree with Dorian completely, had to change my throwing position due to knee pain. Initially I was hopeless but starting to feel more "natural" when I step in now but have been still standing fairly central just experimenting with turning slightly in relation to the oche to find the ideal position as a way of adjusting my grouping. Can now throw for a few hour's pain free and much more relaxed.
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I placed a few wide strips of blue painter's tape right behind the oche (lengthwise) and did the same a foot or so back where my back foot would be.

I then used a marker and drew on different lines as angles all across the blue tape. I did the same thing on the rear tape too.

Then I would spend an hour with my foot lined up one of the front and rear marks. I would experiment keeping my front foot stationary and making subtle tweaks with my rear foot to see the changes in my throw. If I had good luck with a specific spot/angle. I would draw an X or a small dot on that line. I would then do this over a few weeks and you'll start to notice what area your front and rear foot are most consistent.

Kind of like this.....it looks confusing but those lines can be drawn lightly on the tape. Plus as you figure out what area of the oche works the best, when you add a fresh piece of tape, that tape will only have marks in on area since that where you need to focus on since you've seen the most improvement there.
ive given up caring where i stand on the oche. too much thinking. walk up, align, throw. that's my best way. shut the brain off. i had a wicked day yesterday shooting 10+ ppv over what i normally shoot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question concerning standing at the oche BJC 13 3,075 01-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Last Post: gumbo2176