Target Darts.

Follow-through question
Been wondering about this for a couple of days, When I follow through my palm at the end of my throw isn't facing downwards completely. It is kinda inbetween facing sideways and downwards. Is this wrong? Also, I don't completely open my hand at the end. My pinky finger and ring finger aren't completely opened. Should I work on this as well? 

I guess I might be overanalyzing it a bit  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
In this case you need to take a video.
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-04-2015, 11:49 AM)Syren Wrote: Been wondering about this for a couple of days, When I follow through my palm at the end of my throw isn't facing downwards completely. It is kinda inbetween facing sideways and downwards. Is this wrong? Also, I don't completely open my hand at the end. My pinky finger and ring finger aren't completely opened. Should I work on this as well? 

I guess I might be overanalyzing it a bit  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As far as the fingers are concerned, theres nothing to worry about as long as the release is clean.
As for the palm position, thats a tougher call. If you tend to miss to one side or the other a lot then this could be the cause and is worth trying to correct, if you are generally straight or miss equally to each side then dont worry about it.
County Durham's worst darter - Hitting single 1 for 22 years now

Consider this . . . when you hold your dart prior to the throw, your palm is facing "left" (for a right hander). Why would you expect it to face the floor after your toss is complete? That would mean rotating your hand somewhat, no?
Personally my hand is the same way but as lucky strike said its the way my hand was facing so I never cared. I don't see anything wrong with it
(12-04-2015, 01:01 PM)LuckyStrike Wrote: Consider this . . . when you hold your dart prior to the throw, your palm is facing "left" (for a right hander).  Why would you expect it to face the floor after your toss is complete?  That would mean rotating your hand somewhat, no?

That's actually solid advice. I guess I should just stop worrying about it. Thanks a lot!
its never an exact and strict thing as we are all different and our joints and everything connected may not move the same as another person so I say don't worry about it, I don't think my palm is facing completely flat either.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I don't think this is something to worry about. So long as your release is clean, the darts fly straight and nothing is catching on your fingers then let them fly
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

As long as its flying straight and you are following the dart with your follow through, i dont see it being an issue at all.
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
Try to watch youtube videos of pro darters. Study their manner of throwing.
(12-04-2015, 06:27 PM)majeek Wrote: Try to watch youtube videos of pro darters. Study their manner of throwing.

Here's one video, it catches a few of the end of the follow through, but not all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imy5b0cdG-o
After watching that video I see that it's not that strange what I'm doing. My follow-through looks kinda like what Wes Newton is doing. Thanks for the help!
Ya thinking too much is my advice.
(12-04-2015, 11:49 AM)Syren Wrote: Been wondering about this for a couple of days, When I follow through my palm at the end of my throw isn't facing downwards completely. It is kinda inbetween facing sideways and downwards. Is this wrong? Also, I don't completely open my hand at the end. My pinky finger and ring finger aren't completely opened. Should I work on this as well? 

You might be.  

If as opposed to the palm down, you finish with the palm is facing the board, there is greater stress on the flexors... those muscles on your forearm that pull the wrist down.  It is one sign of a snatchy stroke -- meaning that the follow through is not complete.

Finishing with palm facing the board can also lead to tendonitis.  So, without question, pulling that wrist down, and shortening the flexors means less risk of injury.  I know this from experience.

One goal of the palm down finish is to give you a consistent end position for the stroke.  If that position is the same all the time, the dart should fly in a very similar path from throw to throw -- all other things being equal.  In my throw, I notice sometimes that the wrist twists more, so that the palm is facing a bit more sideways.  There may be something to making the palm face down all the time....
What exactly is the correct follow through? Palm facing down and finger almost pointing to the ground OR palm facing down with some fingers pointing to the board. Ive read some post advising follow through and point your fingers to the target/board. Watching some videos with wrist in catapult style and following through with the former style, will it not in the long run make a darter develop carpal tunnel syndrome?
Darts: 24gms Purist Phase 3; 23gms Perfect Storm 2; 22gms OLD Puma dart
180's: 2015 - 3 ; 2016 - 2
Highest Checkout: 120
Darter since Aug2015
Flight School Nov2015

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Throw and follow through. ThunderEagle 37 11,532 12-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Last Post: USMC80