Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Red Dragon Retro 2 22g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH18yrLTdIA

This is the Retro 2 model from the Red Dragon Retro range, there is 4 models and each model is made in one weight only.  These are 22g and you can see the full range here: Retro darts

The darts are 90% tungsten and cost £21.90.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a plastic bag/wrapper and inside you get a RD XS-Wallet, the barrels fitted to a point protector, 3 sets of edgeglow bubble stems in medium and 3 sets of hardcore fluorescent standard shape flights and a set of Team Red Dragon standard flights, so a really nice bundle for the price!

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The darts are quite colourful in their full set up and the name is quite apt with their retro style 80's fluorescent colours Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  I think the barrels on their own are a nice barrel regardless though.  Its a classic straight barrel dart with a slight twist in that it has a very subtle micro gripped squared kind of scallop, its only fractionally thinner than the rest of the barrel on that section but just enough that you can feel it.  The standard ring style grip is quite grippy and I would say its a high medium and almost verging onto a high level grip and the micro grip section is a medium level grip but the edges of the rings either side feel a little more pronounced.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

WEIGHT:

The difference between the lightest and heaviest barrel was just five hundredths of a gram so pretty close match:

Weight of the full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrel is balanced front of centre on the micro grip section:

With the supplied set up the balance moves more central:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I did try with my natural front grip near the nose but I found the darts flew best with the grip on the micro grip section:

Darts landed in the board in my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

These darts remind me a little of the Snakebite 8 darts I reviewed a while back, very similar design except for the indented micro grip section.  That's no bad thing though as those darts were quite good.  These are a little more curious to me though as when I tried with a normal front grip around the nose they were ok but they were so much better to throw from that micro grip section.  Its not exactly at a front grippers position there and not quite dead on centre but I think its a little closer to a centre grippers position on the whole but never the less after a bit of practice I was throwing the darts quite well from that grip.

The balance at that point of the barrel seems just right and it felt a little strange at first as it seemed to make my grip kind of change on the draw back, a bit hard to explain it, but it just needed some practice with it and it started to feel rather comfortable.

I was a bit surprised at how much better the darts flew from that position of grip though, I did not think it was going to be so different as it was.  So it shows how some subtle changes in design can make a difference, I have put the pics of the Retro 2 and Snakebite 8 below with the detailed measurements to show that although they are similar there is enough of a difference to have a different feel and affect, I think the Snakebites 8 worked better a little up from the nose too but I think the microgrip section is a little further up still on theses Retro 2:

So if your grip naturally falls into that position then it should be a very good dart for you, but even if its near abouts your usual grip it could be well worth persevering with the darts for some nice results Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Trying the dart from the rear for me was not so good though, it just felt too wrong but that's not to say it may not suit a natural rear gripper I just think the sweet spot for these is on that micro grip section.

Darts are nicely made and the whole package is great value at just £21.90!

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8 (looks a nice funky dart)
Grip: 7.5 (seems to vary on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (Close)
Quality: 8.5 (nice quality)
Value: 9 (great value)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (Took a little practice from the indented scallop but worth the effort as flew well there)

Best Feature: The micro grip section as it flies well from that position Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Was looking at these in the rd brochure, lovely looking darts
(12-02-2015, 08:24 PM)Del Wrote: Was looking at these in the rd brochure, lovely looking darts

Yeah I think they are well worth giving a go, I fancy trying some of the other Retro ones some time too, great value though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Red dragon are my favourite retailer at the moment , some brilliant darts , I like the look of the 21g retros
I am torn between a set of gildings or gurneys with the rest of my birthday money
Thanks for another superb review. I loved everything about my set, except for the micro grooved scallop section. A superb dart though and for the money a real steal.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Ive ordered the 21g version along with some of the brunswick grip cream pics to follow
So many darts, so little money! Sigh
Match Darts:
Barney Phase5 25g
Best Leg 15 darts 501
Highest Checkout 145
Favourite double 16
I'm only here for the reviews.

"empty guitar case " buy me Butkus lol
great review ive been looking at these darts  i like the look of the 21 grams but with being a rear gripper i think the 24 gram would suit me better .. but once again another great review . im enjoying watching your reviews .
Thanks all! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

They are such good value its well worth a punt on any of the Retro range if your unsure Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

They are a really nice looking dart I think. That micro grip section looks the business if you grip there. Top work Getagrip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

(12-03-2015, 06:12 AM)Crusher17 Wrote: "empty guitar case " buy me Butkus lol

Divorce court, here I come! Lol
Match Darts:
Barney Phase5 25g
Best Leg 15 darts 501
Highest Checkout 145
Favourite double 16
I'm only here for the reviews.

Nice, They could fit my grip fine like you Darren.

:thumb:
may all the doubles be with you

Good value darts and great review, may have to get a set from that range as they look good - Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dragon Peter Wright World Champion Special Edition Torpedo Darts Review Getagrip 7 400 02-01-2021, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Red Dragon Darts Gerwyn Price Blue Ice Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 11 717 01-16-2021, 10:09 AM
  Red Dragon Falcon GT's 24g Darts Review Getagrip 10 15,897 01-10-2021, 08:19 PM
  Red Dragon Peter Wright World Championship Tapered Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 14 944 12-28-2020, 03:42 PM
  Red Dragon Darts Camaro Darts Review Getagrip 9 474 11-18-2020, 08:00 PM
  NODOR 1400 series Dragon NR-1408 24g dart review Ryk 2 358 08-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Humdinger
  Red Dragon Stuart Kellett - 24g review Trainor180 19 7,200 06-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Last Post: sithlord
  Red Dragon Evoke 24g darts review Mailman Barry 17 1,346 06-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Mailman Barry
  Red Dragon Virage 22g Darts Review Getagrip 22 3,334 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Luke_Kuechly_59
  Shot Rob Heckman Dragon 22g Darts Review Getagrip 17 1,214 03-18-2020, 07:20 PM