Unicorn

How do I fix a point problem?
My first experience is slowly becoming a poor one with Storm points.  A while ago my first dart had one point come loose, so I glued it in and then it fell out of the board and the point broke off at the front of the dart.  Still soaking in vinegar.

Now a second point has come loose.  Hopefully someone can offer the correct way to fix this loose point if something like crazy glue is not the best way to fix it.

I am also wondering since I had these points installed into Unicorn darts is this just a bad fit (no pun intended) do Unicorn darts not accept storm points well?  Or is the 30mm smooth point just more likely to come loose and break?

Since, I have read that storm points should be tight because they are a little bigger in diameter does this mean that the 2 darts will most likely not be able to have any other new point installed because the hole is now too big?  Will I need to have storm points put in again with some special type of glue too hold them in?

I was thinking of buying a repointing tool.  I feel now I can’t do any worse then what was done already.   However, I would not know which points to install in these darts that had loose storm points.  I thought points were all the same diameter, except for storm which someone said they were bigger.  

If I did try repointing these or other darts should a glue of some type always be used?

I know there is more than one question but does anyone have suggestions or comments on these problems.
First can you put the points all the way in by hand? If this is so you may need some type of fill on the point. The only thing you should us and I hate this is the red type lock tight. Do not use anything else. If you have broken points at barrels I can fix that issue for you. PM me about this. Also some mfg wholes in nose of barrel are a little tighter than others and some larger. I also thought all tips were standard but that is not the case. Also some tips have coatings on them and some don't and that could be the cause of this issue to.
(12-02-2015, 02:33 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: My first experience is slowly becoming a poor one with Storm points.  A while ago my first dart had one point come loose, so I glued it in and then it fell out of the board and the point broke off at the front of the dart.  Still soaking in vinegar.

Now a second point has come loose.  Hopefully someone can offer the correct way to fix this loose point if something like crazy glue is not the best way to fix it.

I am also wondering since I had these points installed into Unicorn darts is this just a bad fit (no pun intended) do Unicorn darts not accept storm points well?  Or is the 30mm smooth point just more likely to come loose and break?

Since, I have read that storm points should be tight because they are a little bigger in diameter does this mean that the 2 darts will most likely not be able to have any other new point installed because the hole is now too big?  Will I need to have storm points put in again with some special type of glue too hold them in?

I was thinking of buying a repointing tool.  I feel now I can’t do any worse then what was done already.   However, I would not know which points to install in these darts that had loose storm points.  I thought points were all the same diameter, except for storm which someone said they were bigger.  

If I did try repointing these or other darts should a glue of some type always be used?

I know there is more than one question but does anyone have suggestions or comments on these problems.

You can use Loctite 290 to fit loose points. or try put the end of the point trough a bag from stems/flights.

When you go for new regular points, buy the points from RedDragon Darts they are great and not expensive.
may all the doubles be with you

I wasted a lot of time with the vinegar trick. Sure it works but it's mud slow. Matt "Hands-on-Darts" did an excellent removal of a broken storm in some Unicorn Aden Kirks I had.
I found that the darts were loose to begin with after the storms had been factory installed. I have several other Unicorns that storms fit in just fine. Not sure why some are wider than others but so be it?
The Kirk's are 22g and the Madars Razma 25g. Maybe the lighter darts are looser? Don't know for sure
'SlingBlade'
The Kirk's are 22g and .... Maybe the lighter darts are looser? Don't know for sure

Well the darts I had the points installed into are Unicorn 22g  Joe Cullen gold with golden 30mm smooth storm points. So maybe lighter darts do have more problems.
I will look for the Loctite red or 209 unless thats the same thing and hopefully it will stop the point from moving out.  

Lathe Guy I can move the point 1/8 inch, it started last night during league so I just kept pushing it back in but it pulls back out when removing dart from the board.  Thanks for the offer I will check to see how much more of the point has crumpled away.  From what I understand that hole should be 5 or 6mm deep but not sure how much is already gone.
Coming from the experience of a lot of people already. If you play darts in areas with cemented flooring, there's a very high risk of point breakage from among darts with storm and finger grip points. As I reiterate - this is from the experience of players who played in areas i.e. their garage with cemented flooring. So either use area rugs, or tridents.
I guess that means regular points with tridents.  Because a few of the bars where I play the league games have ceramic tile floors and at one of those places is where the dart fell and point broke.  I am thinking this can happen again at any of these places because rugs are not an option.
Thanks for the recommendations.
If you do get a repointer and are struggling with loose points I would use a tiny bit of plastic bag over the end..they hold fast and this way they can be removed and leaves no residue.

I found grooved storms a lot more brittle than standards but eventually gave up altogether after points breaking during big games etc
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thats exactly why i dont use storms anymore.
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
Thanks for tips guys had this issue last night, Target firepoints in a Winmau Barrel was bottoming out. Must have been milled wrong as point was slightly higher by about a mm after trying to get it all the way in this made the point hole loose for any point. Got piece of baking foil and wrapped bottom of point and used Designa tool to push in and works a treat have to live with the xtra 1mm on 1 of the darts. Had shop fit fire points in the past on another Winmau Barrel set and they also struggled and did not manage to insert all the way. Anyone had issue with these points? Also had Winmau Points knurled standard points not fit into Unicorn Barrels ? also anyone had issue of compressing and flattening the grip and grooves on points due to the Clamping of the point then moves under pressure and scores and flattens knurling on the point?
(12-03-2015, 08:46 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: I guess that means regular points with tridents.  Because a few of the bars where I play the league games have ceramic tile floors and at one of those places is where the dart fell and point broke.  I am thinking this can happen again at any of these places because rugs are not an option.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Also, Voks Tornado points, they are Stainless Steel and don't break. I use loctite blue (though the container is red, its blue loctite) and I think it's easier to remove when you need to change points.
Levonster, Out
Good ol plastic bag trick 

Worked on bolts that are too small , works on skateboard trucks when they are stripping and bolts don’t come catch......

Unfortunately I have a a set of monster cobra 2s I changes points ONCE, AND NOTICED the stock points had some threading at back of point, first sign, . . Replaced once and must of stretched barrel where recieves points. I can use my hand to put points in and out on two. Other needs to be pressed but stays in board..

Going to try the lock tight....and maybe some cellophane or plastic bag approach ...

I’ve changed points 5x on multiple barrells.....but when I did the first removal on monsters I could feel the stretching. Tried multiple new points which appear to Be wider no luck. 

Thanks for suggestions everyone