Harrows Darts.

Rotating/spinning the dart during pull back
Hi,

I have been slo-mo filming my throw recently and noticed that i rotate/spin the dart in my hand as i pull the dart back prior towards my face prior to pushing it back out towards the board.  This seems like an unnecessary movement i.e. it is adding complexity and reducing how repeatable my throw is.  As such i would like to get rid of it.

Has anyone ever tried this?  It seems very difficult to remove.  

Thanks

skinny
They are not "unecessary movement"! They work!!!
Check out videos of some of the pros and you'll see that several of them do that as they take the dart back to their shoulder.   If you only noticed it when viewing slo-mo footage and did not notice it before, I say don't worry about it and put negative thoughts in your head.
What ever you do consistently and provides consistent results, is perfectly fine.
Darts: 18g softtip Monster Cobra 2BA, 260 LStyle Champagne Shafts, L3 Flights.
Other Darts: 18g softtip Monster Soldier No.5
Best out (soft tip): 106 (16, Bull, d20).

Darts Connect ID: 1000002362
(11-30-2015, 11:06 PM)skinnygav Wrote: Hi,

I have been slo-mo filming my throw recently and noticed that i rotate/spin the dart in my hand as i pull the dart back prior towards my face prior to pushing it back out towards the board.  This seems like an unnecessary movement i.e. it is adding complexity and reducing how repeatable my throw is.  As such i would like to get rid of it.

Has anyone ever tried this?  It seems very difficult to remove.  

Thanks

skinny
I throw this way myself.
Tried throwing with the same grip throughout the throw but i don't get the same feel or consistency.
King and Lewis as well as many other do this, I would correct my youth players, but if it feels natural to you and you have tried to change it and can't then go with it. A natural throw is better than if you really have to work at a perfect throw. Again IMO.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
I noticed I was turning the dart in my hand several months ago and I guess it works for me getting the right feel?
I do it too. I think in slow motion it looks kinda cool anyway.

I bet a lot of pros do it if you watch in slow motion, but adrian lewis is definitely noticeable with this.
Jocky Wilson was another who used too roll the dart on the way back.
I actually tried this a couple of weeks ago kind of by accident, for some strange reason it seemed to work well when going for doubles but as it was not entirely natural to me the more I tried to make it work the worse I got overall so I just dropped it, but I think if its a natural part of your throw then just forget about it unless you think its ruining your results Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-01-2015, 10:34 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I actually tried this a couple of weeks ago kind of by accident, for some strange reason it seemed to work well when going for doubles but as it was not entirely natural to me the more I tried to make it work the worse I got overall so I just dropped it, but I think if its a natural part of your throw then just forget about it unless you think its ruining your results Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Were you struggling with your throw or just playing around?
(12-01-2015, 01:50 AM)Leaky Wrote: King and Lewis as well as many other do this, I would correct my youth players, but if it feels natural to you and you have tried to change it and can't then go with it.  A natural throw is better than if you really have to work at a perfect throw. Again IMO.

How would you correct your youth players?
(12-01-2015, 11:51 AM)skinnygav Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 01:50 AM)Leaky Wrote: King and Lewis as well as many other do this, I would correct my youth players, but if it feels natural to you and you have tried to change it and can't then go with it.  A natural throw is better than if you really have to work at a perfect throw. Again IMO.

How would you correct your youth players?

Not sure you can correct anything that feels natural to an individual.
Seems to to kill the the idea of freedom.
(12-01-2015, 11:30 AM)Assassin Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 10:34 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I actually tried this a couple of weeks ago kind of by accident, for some strange reason it seemed to work well when going for doubles but as it was not entirely natural to me the more I tried to make it work the worse I got overall so I just dropped it, but I think if its a natural part of your throw then just forget about it unless you think its ruining your results Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Were you struggling with your throw or just playing around?

I was just kind of messing about really, at the time I thought I had found something new that worked well but it was weird as the more I tried to do it the less effective I got with it, but the first 15 mins or so I was hitting almost every double first time, I was just going round the board on doubles at the time and because I was frustrated at missing a particular double too many times I was just throwing different for the fun of it.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I roll the dart in my fingers on pullback too - this happens naturally so I don't think about it. A few times I have experiemnted with not rolling the dart on the pullback and it feel so alien and unnatural! If it works for you and you do it naturally each time then I would say to let it happen and put the practice in on your overall game
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pull Back/Take back advice RedHat180 3 132 06-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Pidge
  Flights hitting face on pull back Ventuss 23 3,695 11-12-2020, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Gooddark
  elbow drop on draw/pull back Fergus 4 392 07-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Fergus
  Any advice: How to practice the pull of the arm eskoo 0 307 01-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Last Post: eskoo
  Spinning the Dart derrickyoung 16 1,532 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Zero
  spinning and fishtailing bdebbane 4 410 05-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Spinning the dart. Haywood90 1 374 12-12-2018, 07:47 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  push or pull ?!??? bdebbane 9 700 12-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Red'75™
  How do you pull your darts out of the board? Getagrip 27 7,961 04-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: caper4g
  Fishtailing and spinning cubdog 12 1,688 01-29-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Banz