Shot Darts

FLIGHTS THE CRUCIAL FACTOR
Hi All,

At times I reckon 99% of the subject matter on our forum is all about the dart barrels or stems and dart points yet, a crucial component is taken for granted....the ever so humble DART FLIGHT

My advice is simple on this matter "never underestimate the importance of your flights", making sure that they are secure, the right size and shape for your dart is very important. Think of them as stabilsers or as a direction corrector and keeping them true and square in your dart shaft is an often overlooked aspect by players. I found (with my set-up) that the thickness of the flight has a significant role in how stable the flights are when airborne and will never use 75microns and always use 100 Microns. I can also tell you that even the surface finish of the flight has an influence on how fast they fly, compare a silky smooth foil type with one of those woven materials.

I'm amazed sometimes when I see players throwing with flights that look like the dog's been chewing on them or so badly battered with tears and even little bits missing that they should've been binned months earlier Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Imagine if you were just boarding a plane and happened to look across at the end of the aircraft and notice the tail-plane all mangled up with a chunk of it gone  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. yes you'd soon decide that a train is a better option.

Solution flight protectors keep your flights square and do extend the flight's life, but inspect them regularly and change them over immediately if they start getting rips....they cost next to nothing and make a world of difference to your accuracy. Flights also assist greatly in getting the darts trajectory right and are crucial to its aerodynamics and also influence the angle that the dart hits the board along with the stems length etc.

Am I overstating it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ....just throw a dart without one and see what happens Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  as darters we are often faced with trying to hit a tiny target area or have a gap of a few millimeters to get our dart in...so every bits helps.

In Summary "Fly Right? = Flights Right!"

Cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Couldn't agree more. Wise advise to all.
Sound advice. I've messed about with flights and set ups for ages. Always experimenting before I give up on a set of darts.

I've found personally that on a straight barrel Target Vision flights work best for me, but normal standards work on tapered/bullet barrels.

For example, on my 14g Hankey's I've found that a short stem and vision flights works a treat, but when my new whitlocks arrive tomorrow I'll be using normal size standard flights as they are tapered.
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

Instagram - @OH_THAT_DAVE
Wise advice Dorian. Advice that I think many fail to experiment with. Including myself.

I used to play with standard sized flights when I first began playing. The reason why is because that's what everyone used. My darts always landed in the board at a very odd angle. Sort of like Wes Newton's with the flight pointing to the extreme right. If my first dart hit the left corner of the treble 20, forget about it. The rest of the bed was blocked. Heck, it was so bad the treble 18 might have been blocked too lol

I accepted this for a few YEARS. I just figured that's how I throw. Until one magical day when I picked up a set of light darts with pear flights on them. They entered the board dead straight. No angle to the left or anything. Just dead straight in the board. Hmmmm I thought.

Since that day I never looked back. It's always been small flights for me. And the weight of the dart doesn't matter at all for me. No matter what weight I play with the dart always goes straight into the board. All those years of wasted time playing with flights that didn't work with my throw. I wish I would've known sooner. Good post Dorian Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Good post and advice Dorian. I too am shocked when I see the state of some people's flights. I like to make sure mine are in good condition and will change them out if they are ripped, dented or missing a bit. I use very cheap flights so I don't mind doing this so much
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I am actually starting to wonder if different brands of "standard" flights have slightly different flight characteristics as well. I usually play, and very much like, Target Vision flights. However, lately noticed that using Unicorn Maestro standard flights on some seem to work better. Wasn't sure if it was all in my mind or if they did fly better. Actually comparing the 2 side by side the Unicorn did have a slightly different shape, material was a bit more flexible, and leading/trailing edges were more tapered. I just took "standard" flights were standard flights regardless of manufacturer. Maybe the overall surface area may be the same, but I suspect the actual shape may be a factor as well. Anyone else comment on this?
Yes all the little things make a difference,,,,,From the flight not fitting in the shaft quite right,,,to the "o" ring that will not work like it should,,,,,,

Their is no set standard when it comes to dart parts,,,,flights and stems,,,,the size and shapes of both flights and stems may look the same a first glance but when you are talking fractions of a millimeter ,,,,it makes a difference,,,,,,

Ultimately,,,the biggest difference will be the boost to your confidence level when you find the right combination,,,,,,,
(12-01-2015, 04:09 PM)AD18 Wrote: I am actually starting to wonder if different brands of "standard" flights have slightly different flight characteristics as well.  I usually play, and very much like, Target Vision flights.  However, lately noticed that using Unicorn Maestro standard flights on some seem to work better.  Wasn't sure if it was all in my mind or if they did fly better.  Actually comparing the 2 side by side the Unicorn did have a slightly different shape, material was a bit more flexible, and leading/trailing edges were more tapered.  I just took "standard" flights were standard flights regardless of manufacturer.  Maybe the overall surface area may be the same, but I suspect the actual shape may be a factor as well.  Anyone else comment on this?

I tried so hard with the pro vision flights as they had so many great designs but the unicorn ones worked better for me.  Just that slightly different shape does make a difference.

I eventually went back to a full size flight.  The target pro 100 or the big wing 125 micron work well for me as the are strong without being too rigid.  Not all 100 micron flights are they same.  For me the transparent flights are more rigid which may suit some.

Different darts for me often need a different flight and some times even a gram or two up or down with the same dart.  It is well worth experimenting.

Great thread Dorian +1.

PS flight protectors are well worth a try especially with unicorn flights to keep them square.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

I recently purchased some Pentathlon 150's in an effort to prolong the life of my flights(mine get chewed up fairly quickly and I am not fond of how the protector affects the flight of my dart). Upon trying the 150's with my usual set up I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! My darts were also entering the board at an insane angle with the flight pointing to the ground. My throw is not very forgiving to many different length of shafts and thickness of flights. Through trial and error I find the best set up for me is intermediate grippers with standard size 100 micron flights.
Match Darts:
Barney Phase5 25g
Best Leg 15 darts 501
Highest Checkout 145
Favourite double 16
I'm only here for the reviews.

nice thread sir, one all should have a little look at. I use extra short gripper stems and dsx kite flights, I agree that there are minor differences between different companies with regard to size and interpretation of micron.
great thread.great advice
Darts:Unicorn Target Tony o Shea gen2 24g , extra short stems and bristow dimples flight board: Bulls advantage 5.01.
Best 301: 7 darts (twice)
Best 501: 12 darts
Best Checkout: 170 (practice) 170(Match)
League 2015: 
Best leg: 14 Darts
Best checkout: 120.
i use the target vision or harrows marathon flights they seem to work the best for me.the target pro 100 and other full size standard flights don t fly as smoothly with short stems and straight barrels.
target carrera 24 gr c4s target titanium/ carbon stems,.target vision  flights
harrows bristow 24gr natural ringed,24g gold
harrows bristow 24gr cocked hand
harrows powerpoint 24gr vintage 1994
blade 4 board
ales and nails,BEER IN ACTION
Seems I keep going back the the Unicorn Slik Stik stems with 75 micron full size standard flights,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
great advice. thanks.
~John
I really never thought that different sorts of standard flights make any difference though im not so experienced.
I just started to use 75micron Target Match Flights, and they seam to work better for me than the other i tried.

My question now is if there is really such a big difference between 75 and 100 micron?
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g, Barney Phase 5 23g, Paul Nicholson 24g, and so on...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

(01-08-2016, 03:23 PM)Eyebala Wrote: I really never thought that different sorts of standard flights make any difference though im not so experienced.
I just started to use 75micron Target Match Flights, and they seam to work better for me than the other i tried.

My question now is if there is really such a big difference between 75 and 100 micron?

First reaction is weight.  Second is fold both flights back to how they came out of the shipping package and compare the size and shape.  As stated in previous posts size, shape, and weight of the flight will make a difference in overall performance.  Experimentation is best way to find what works best.