Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Do manufacturers logos affect barrel design?
I was thinking about this the other day and it seems just about every modern dart has a company's logo etched onto the barrels at some point. 

In a lot of the cases its often at the very rear of the barrel where I guess not so many people grip but I often see them in places where I wish they had some grip instead of the logo.

What do you Nutz think?

Do you think barrel grip/design is being sacrificed to allow for branding?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I thought this very same thing. I use a barrel with a smooth part right in the middle. But it also had a "95%" etched into it. This almost made me NOT buy them.

But when they showed up I couldn't really feel the etching at all. I thought it would bother me but I honestly couldn't feel it. There was a set in the past that I intended to send off to Matt at HOD because of the logo but when they arrived i couldn't feel that logo either. It was a set of Nodor's. They all seem to have a tungsten % etched into them. But I can't notice and diff.

So to answer your question... "Do you think barrel grip/design is being sacrificed to allow for branding?"

In the past I would've said yes purely as a guess. But now after experience with etching I would definitely say no.
Excellent question. Never really though about it like that. I would have liked the microgrip sections on thr lewis gen 2 to go further back. Although I can see where it's actually the design that's affected the logo and that's wez newton's.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It seems like it to me.

Almost every dart has a smooth section with a logo on it, even if the rest of the dart is very grippy. I don't know if they put the smooth bit for a different reason and it also happens to work really well for the logo, but it definitely bothers me.

Cy, I agree that the actual logo doesn't affect the grip, but I'd rather have a consistent grip like Alan Warriners than Tony Osheas, which have a smooth section with the logos on it.
My only knock on Monster darts is alot of there darts have a smooth part with the logo around the middle
With the pro player designs I would say the grip pattern is determined by the player and the logo/signature is put on where possible.
With the rest of dart designs I would be pretty sure companies try to have a mix of grip patterns and shapes to compliment their range. I doubt that they design a dart around the logo. Most logos are fairly hard to read in reality - they show up better in photographs more than anything.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

My Chizzy's frustrate me as the smooth middle section is used to engrave CHIZZY around it. Sometimes my thumb is there and I can't get a proper grip
(11-25-2015, 09:08 PM)MichaelLFC96 Wrote: My Chizzy's frustrate me as the smooth middle section is used to engrave CHIZZY around it. Sometimes my thumb is there and I can't get a proper grip

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...t=modified
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

(11-25-2015, 09:11 PM)jc14 Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 09:08 PM)MichaelLFC96 Wrote: My Chizzy's frustrate me as the smooth middle section is used to engrave CHIZZY around it. Sometimes my thumb is there and I can't get a proper grip

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...t=modified
I'll definitely look into that. Mine are the pixel grips though so not sure how they'd go on. I suppose the Mardle's will nullify this problem when they arrive Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
One of the reasons why I am a Unicorn Darts fan!
absolutely this is true, the opposite happens too, were they add extra grip over the entire barrel even though the pro throws from the front, they will throw grip in the back to sell to "rear grippers" even though the pro doesnt use that grip at all
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
That is the exact problem I have with my o'shea darts. It is why I sent them off to madhouse to have the smooth section with the logo removed. The smooth sections manufacturers place on darts stops me buying so many sets
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

I agree and I feel it worse as I grip right at back and kind of on stem so the majority that have the smooth section right at the back stops me buying/trying that certain dart. :-(
(11-25-2015, 08:18 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I was thinking about this the other day and it seems just about every modern dart has a company's logo etched onto the barrels at some point. 

In a lot of the cases its often at the very rear of the barrel where I guess not so many people grip but I often see them in places where I wish they had some grip instead of the logo.

What do you Nutz think?

Do you think barrel grip/design is being sacrificed to allow for branding?

What a silly thread!

C'mon guys do we really think that expert dart manufacturers spend several hours on CAD design ensuring that their NEWBIE dart is different even unique....then get the maths, physics, ergonomics and metallurgy right......then proceed to tart up the barrel with a special coating.....then worry like hell about where to put the marketing departments' logo and risk stuffing up the whole thing???

'Course they do! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(11-25-2015, 08:47 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: My only knock on Monster darts is alot of there darts have a smooth part with the logo around the middle

might just be me but if you're gripping around the balance point properly, you wouldn't be on these bands. or maybe just the way i hold my darts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How does tiredness affect your play? tropicalpalmtree 19 701 03-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Pidge
  How much do doubles Affect avg DAVEISTHENAME 10 693 09-08-2019, 04:29 AM
Last Post: CalixNL
  Anyone do engraving of logos on barrels? The Jester 5 540 02-05-2019, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Jimithing616
  Tired of Those Pesky Logos On Your Shafts? Try This! Red'75™ 20 2,358 05-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Should Dart Manufacturers supply 'Barrels Only' as a permanent option? Getagrip 37 6,540 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  U.K. Darts Manufacturers and darts made in England Getagrip 20 16,367 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Last Post: The D'Artist