Harrows Darts.

Red Dragon Sumo 24g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEFG2y7pJt8

This is a review of the Red Dragon Sumo 24g darts, there is also a 22g model available and they retail for £24.90 and are 90% tungsten.  You can find them on the RD site here: Sumo 24g darts

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in the usual Red Dragon plastic wrapper and are supplied with the tri-fold or Red Dragon XS-wallet.  As with a lot of RD darts you get a nice bundle, so as well as the ever useful wallet you get 3 sets of standard flights, a point protector, a set of medium alloy stems and a set of medium nylon stems with spring clips and your RD guarantee card:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

Its quite a good looking dart and at first it looks like a standard straight barrel style but the section with the black rings is a little thicker than the rest of the barrel so is a pronounced grip section really.  The grip here is a thin double ring grip but the rest of the barrel except for the very rear part follows a similar style of grip with flat wider rings in between.  I would say at its grippiest it is probably just about a high medium.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

WEIGHT:

Two barrels were an exact match and the third was just three hundredths of a gram lighter so very good.

Weight of the full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrel is slightly front weighted:

With the supplied set up the balance is just a little past the centre although it was a bit awkward to get it right for the pic due to the step from the thicker black ringed section:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I think that section with the black rings is just right for a front grip although I think I would have liked it a little closer to the nose but for the main part of the review as was throwing with this grip:

Darts were landing in the board with my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

This is a nice looking dart and quite a good one to throw for a front gripper.  I think like I said above that it may have suited me more if the black ring section was may be another 4-5 mm closer to the nose but on the whole it was nicely balanced with a front grip and threw quite well.  It may feel a little strange at first having that thicker section there but you get used to the feel after a few throws and it also makes it easy to locate your grip when taking the darts out your hand.  Sometimes I got a little bit of fishtailing but I think on the whole they flew nice and steady through the air and I quite liked the shape of the flight but occasionally I seemed to drop them a little lower than expected.

I was very surprised that when I tried the rear-ish grip that they seemed to fly rather well too, so it is possible they could work very well for a naturally rear (ish) gripper is you like a slightly front weighted dart.  Also if you grip just past the black ring grip section the barrel kind of steps down a little which gives you something to push against from a rear-ish grip.

Overall the darts are nicely made and there is not a lot can go wrong with the grip design as its a tried and tested thin cut double ring on the thick section, so works well Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its a dart that may feel a little strange at first but after you play with it a few times it you soon get a feel for it and it rewards you well, definitely worth a go for front grippers but may suit some rear grippers too.

SUMMARY RATINGS:

Looks: 8 (Nice looking barrel)
Grip: 7 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 9 (2 were exact and third very close)
Quality: 8 (good quality)
Value: 8 (fine)
Suitability for me: 8 (got better and better the more I have thrown them)

Best Feature: Nicely weighted especially for front grippers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review mate , nice looking darts aswell , rd do make some nice darts
Well done review as always ......
Definitely a dart that has all the characteristics that would suit me. ( if I could get them in 22g) 

PS
What is the brand of scale you are using in your reviews ?

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]®[/font]

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Great review as always , your 1 for 1 on reviewing on a set i'd like lol
Thanks guys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Not sure what brand the scales are but it has the CAL in an oval so may be that's it?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I'm glad you reviewed these as I was thinking of getting some myself, think I deffo will now, thanks geta!

Love your reviews on YT so keep it up!
(11-25-2015, 06:59 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Thanks guys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Not sure what brand the scales are but it has the CAL in an oval so may be that's it?

I think I have the same scale... I got it off Amazon... the brand was ACS or something like that

not sure as I don't have the box now but it says Made In China.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review Darren, very nice looking darts too! Cheers
Good Job Darren +1 as if ya need it lol.
Nice review again! Red Dragon really do make some nice darts.
Cheers guys! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another good review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. interesting dart, kind of like an outward scallop!! A nice idea from RD, cheers Darren
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks mate, yeah I have been throwing them more now, they throw nice and have a nicely weighted feel for a front grip.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Fantastic review, I have had a set of these for a few months and love them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dragon Peter Wright World Champion Special Edition Torpedo Darts Review Getagrip 7 464 02-01-2021, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Red Dragon Darts Gerwyn Price Blue Ice Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 11 787 01-16-2021, 10:09 AM
  Red Dragon Falcon GT's 24g Darts Review Getagrip 10 16,026 01-10-2021, 08:19 PM
  Red Dragon Peter Wright World Championship Tapered Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 14 995 12-28-2020, 03:42 PM
  Red Dragon Darts Camaro Darts Review Getagrip 9 525 11-18-2020, 08:00 PM
  NODOR 1400 series Dragon NR-1408 24g dart review Ryk 2 375 08-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Humdinger
  Red Dragon Stuart Kellett - 24g review Trainor180 19 7,253 06-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Last Post: sithlord
  Red Dragon Evoke 24g darts review Mailman Barry 17 1,427 06-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Mailman Barry
  Red Dragon Virage 22g Darts Review Getagrip 22 3,427 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Luke_Kuechly_59
  Shot Rob Heckman Dragon 22g Darts Review Getagrip 17 1,297 03-18-2020, 07:20 PM