Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Is there a way to improve consistency?
It sounds like a silly question, but I have a huge problem with consistency. I can throw 3 darts all in/above/below the wire on the treble 20, then the next 3 darts my arm will fling uncontrollably. It's  hugely frustrating and I can't seem to keep a consistent throw. 

Any help/ideas would be hugely appreciated. 

I've tried taking more time (I tend to be a quick thrower) but I just can't slow down while throwing darts as they all tend to lie in the middle of the board.
(11-24-2015, 10:24 PM)MichaelLFC96 Wrote: It sounds like a silly question, but I have a huge problem with consistency. I can throw 3 darts all in/above/below the wire on the treble 20, then the next 3 darts my arm will fling uncontrollably. It's  hugely frustrating and I can't seem to keep a consistent throw. 

I've tried taking more time (I tend to be a quick thrower) but I just can't slow down while throwing darts as they all tend to lie in the middle of the board.

Flight School drill: A2
(11-24-2015, 10:33 PM)BigE Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 10:24 PM)MichaelLFC96 Wrote: It sounds like a silly question, but I have a huge problem with consistency. I can throw 3 darts all in/above/below the wire on the treble 20, then the next 3 darts my arm will fling uncontrollably. It's  hugely frustrating and I can't seem to keep a consistent throw. 

Flight School drill: A2
I registered through his website on Saturday, now I'm eagerly awaiting the info  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Keep hitting the board it will come
(11-24-2015, 11:03 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Keep hitting the board it will come

That depends on the mechanics of the throw.... I know people that have played for many many years and they are not consistent, because of their mechanics -- snatchy throws, jumping/rocking on the oche, moving their elbows all over the place..... 

If you keep hitting the board, follow through to the target , mind your elbow and are well balanced on the oche, you'll become very consistent!
There's such a fine line between thinking about your throw and overthinking.

That's probably not that helpful but it's what I've learnt...
Board - Gladiator 2 

Darts - Unicorn Aiden Kirk 22g

Best Leg 12 darts at last! 29/12/2017
Best Checkout 164

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
blah blah mechanics play the game to many people have to analyze everything
(11-24-2015, 11:18 PM)BigE Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 11:03 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Keep hitting the board it will come

That depends on the mechanics of the throw.... I know people that have played for many many years and they are not consistent, because of their mechanics -- snatchy throws, jumping/rocking on the oche, moving their elbows all over the place..... 

If you keep hitting the board, follow through to the target , mind your elbow and are well balanced on the oche, you'll become very consistent!

I think I snatch an awful lot. Sometimes I'll be throwing and my arm will just go into a spasm sort of thing. I know that it is to do with how hard I grip etc. And I do throw a lot better when I grip looser, it's just that when gripping looser they tend to slip left or right. 

Darts looks so simple but my word it is extremely difficult to even get 'the basics'  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-24-2015, 11:26 PM)Fenton Wrote: There's such a fine line between thinking about your throw and overthinking.

That's probably  not that helpful but it's what I've learnt...

^ You are absolutely spot on IMO - once you have your warm up (thinking about what you are doing) and then procede to switch to auto pilot, that is when you will find your form.

Overthinking will cause snatch/pull in my experience - get your foot set on the oche and let the darts go - your brain, through millions of years of evolution will do the rest based on your practice routines - as simple as that if you ask me.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-24-2015, 11:35 PM)REBEL Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 11:26 PM)Fenton Wrote: There's such a fine line between thinking about your throw and overthinking.

That's probably  not that helpful but it's what I've learnt...

^ You are absolutely spot on IMO - once you have your warm up (thinking about what you are doing) and then procede to switch to auto pilot, that is when you will find your form.

Overthinking will cause snatch/pull in my experience - get your foot set on the oche and let the darts go - your brain, through millions of years of evolution will do the rest based on your practice routines - as simple as that if you ask me.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'll be honest with you I don't even have a practice routine. With me only playing against my dad or uncles we normally just have a few darts each and then have a couple of legs. I don't know if any routines etc. Out there  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Like i said keep at it there is plenty of games or practice games you can find on here
(11-24-2015, 11:35 PM)MichaelLFC96 Wrote: I think I snatch an awful lot. Sometimes I'll be throwing and my arm will just go into a spasm sort of thing. I know that it is to do with how hard I grip etc. And I do throw a lot better when I grip looser, it's just that when gripping looser they tend to slip left or right. 

Darts looks so simple but my word it is extremely difficult to even get 'the basics'  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

It's a very difficult game to master.  That spasm can be your elbow moving around, and your arm trying to correct the elbow position on the fly... that can't be done.

Follow through stops snatching.  keeping the elbow steady ( until release ) will decrease the left/right spray.  Once the dart is released, your elbow can move up to lengthen the follow through.
I agree that the game should just be the simple, "aim at what you're looking at, and hit what you're aiming at."

But I don't think analyzing while away from the dartboard or while practicing would hurt. I think there is a reason all the top pros have similar mechanics and advice.

Best advice I've heard regarding snatching is just to hold the follow through for a second or two. It will be obvious if you aren't following through, and there is no thinking on the line about keeping the elbow in line, and only letting it raise after the darts released, etc.
(11-24-2015, 11:55 PM)BigE Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 11:35 PM)MichaelLFC96 Wrote: I think I snatch an awful lot. Sometimes I'll be throwing and my arm will just go into a spasm sort of thing. I know that it is to do with how hard I grip etc. And I do throw a lot better when I grip looser, it's just that when gripping looser they tend to slip left or right. 

It's a very difficult game to master.  That spasm can be your elbow moving around, and your arm trying to correct the elbow position on the fly... that can't be done.

Follow through stops snatching.  keeping the elbow steady ( until release ) will decrease the left/right spray.  Once the dart is released, your elbow can move up to lengthen the follow through.

I'll try and focus on this tomorrow and I'll give some feedback on how it goes Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-24-2015, 11:59 PM)Dmott Wrote: Best advice I've heard regarding snatching is just to hold the follow through for a second or two. It will be obvious if you aren't following through, and there is no thinking on the line about keeping the elbow in line, and only letting it raise after the darts released, etc.

Yes.  I've used that with success.  The dart goes where the hand goes -- when you stop at the end of the follow through, it is astounding just how many times your eye/hand/dart are on the same line.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How is best for me to improve accuracy? tropicalpalmtree 8 363 01-30-2021, 03:26 AM
Last Post: tropicalpalmtree
  Vertical Consistency mystiquesbs 0 215 05-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Last Post: mystiquesbs
  How can I improve? cpohd 11 768 09-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Last Post: UncleJJ
  Consistency on trebles Colmcc 12 950 09-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Reaper
  Grip and consistency BJAM 10 847 04-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Greystone
  Consistency in throw - now with video (on 2nd page) peanutjimmy 13 1,712 11-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Last Post: chak840
  Using 6 darts for better consistency Jusa73 4 1,027 06-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Jusa73
  Consistency Dazza1980 19 1,850 05-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Dazza1980
  In need of advice to improve karm 9 1,436 03-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Developing consistency on bull JayPro 16 3,462 12-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Last Post: BigE