Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Question - Grip
Hi DN! Recently been noticing something - when I grip by dart on the set up, i realize that the dart isn't pointing at the board. In fact, it is probably at 45 degrees to the board.

What does everyone think? Should I turn my wrist to let the dart be straight at the board?
Some say it should be straight and it is kind of logically to do that but we are all different and its how the dart finally leaves your grip that is as important as anything, not all players have their darts pointing straight at the set position.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Sounds a bit like the way Ronnie Baxter grips the dart, but then he twists his wrist before release so it comes out straight. In my eyes it would be easier if it was straight and stayed straight, but you have to do whatever is most comfortable for you. Take a look at a Ronnie Baxter throw on youtube
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I certainly agree with the previous two posts.  I would say to try to watch the flight of your darts while in the air.  If you see any fish-tailing, you are likely not truing up the alignment of the dart so it points at the board at release.  If this is the case it will lead to a myriad of issues. 

Fish-tailing will cause the dart to deviate from your target horizontally in two ways.  First, if can cause the dart to drift to the left or right.  Second, with the tip moving back and forth it can land outside the bed you are trying to hit.

It will also cause issues vertically on the board because the movement left and right of the flights will slow the dart while it is on the way to the target.

My point is usually about 10-15 degrees to the left (I am right handed) when I set up.  Usually, I correct pretty well.  However, when I focus on the tip pointing directly at the board I get a much truer flight which gets the dart to the board more quickly and consistently and therefore better groupings.

The key is consistency and comfort.  It has to feel right for you.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Anything new will feel awkward.  

If you are going to change something, you may as well change it to the simplest approach.... point the dart at the target upon release.

I see nothing wrong with trying to keep things as simple as possible.  The game is hard enough without learning to cope with a bunch of odd gyrations.
(11-23-2015, 02:13 PM)ranger86 Wrote: I certainly agree with the previous two posts.  I would say to try to watch the flight of your darts while in the air.  If you see any fish-tailing, you are likely not truing up the alignment of the dart so it points at the board at release.  If this is the case it will lead to a myriad of issues. 

Fish-tailing will cause the dart to deviate from your target horizontally in two ways.  First, if can cause the dart to drift to the left or right.  Second, with the tip moving back and forth it can land outside the bed you are trying to hit.

It will also cause issues vertically on the board because the movement left and right of the flights will slow the dart while it is on the way to the target.

My point is usually about 10-15 degrees to the left (I am right handed) when I set up.  Usually, I correct pretty well.  However, when I focus on the tip pointing directly at the board I get a much truer flight which gets the dart to the board more quickly and consistently and therefore better groupings.

The key is consistency and comfort.  It has to feel right for you.
Totally agree with Ranger on this one.
Are you comfortable with that grip?if not then try changing your grip....try using a grip that is pointing to the board before the release...maybe awkward at first but with lots of practice you will get the hang of it... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
I am thinking that its NOT your natural grip...may saw someone  using that grip and hitting the numbers bigtime...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
Hi all,

I have a problem with my middle finger while gripping the dart Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.. Here is the issue, I grip the dart similar to Adrian Lewis, but very often during the swing back my middle finger tend to go away from the barrel and I am trying to bring it back, and that causes my arm to stif which results in inconsistent throw, when the finger stays on a initial place on the barrel I can hit what I'm aiming for and that resulted in 13 dart leg. My question is what am I doing wrong to cause my finger to run away from the barrel? I am trying to figure it out but still no clue, I'll see if I can film it so it will be more clear then my description, it would be apreciated to hear what you guys think about it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thank you in advance