Target Darts.

Shakey hands
Alright guys? I am about 6 games in to my first season playing with a darts team and every week I am so badly affected by nerves that it seriously affects my game. When I'm throwing practice darts before the match I can hit 180's and 140's regularly but as soon as the match starts old Mr. Shakey Hand kicks in. Last night I was playing a guy who , with all due respect, I should have beaten comfortably. But I ended up throwing my worst darts yet and lost heavily. I honestly felt like crying when I walked off the board. Do you have any tips or techniques that can help me overcome these nerves? I know, a rookie problem but I'm sure I'm not the only one  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Stop drinking/Start drinking
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It is something that will lessen with time and as your experience grows.

Are you nervous about people watching or is it more because you want to perform at your best?
Try not to put to much pressure on yourself as its rare that anyone brings their 'A' practice game to the board.
Use this year as a learning curve and concentrate on enjoying yourself and the games and hopefully before the season is over you will have noticed a difference Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Let us know how you get on
(11-17-2015, 01:10 PM)Troll Wrote: Stop drinking/Start drinking

Unfortunately, I drive to games. So I can't drink Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-17-2015, 01:18 PM)hamo Wrote: It is something that will lessen with time and as your experience grows.

Are you nervous about people watching or is it more because you want to perform at your best?
Try not to put to much pressure on yourself as its rare that anyone brings their 'A' practice game to the board.
Use this year as a learning curve and concentrate on enjoying yourself and the games and hopefully before the season is over you will have noticed a difference Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Let us know how you get on

I think it's possibly the latter. The fact that people are watching me doesn't really bother me. Maybe I do put too much pressure on myself. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
(11-17-2015, 01:21 PM)Irish Scot Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 01:10 PM)Troll Wrote: Stop drinking/Start drinking

Unfortunately, I drive to games. So I can't drink Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Then learn to Teleport  mate .
180-1(33)

I also find concentrating on my breathing helps i.e make sure i take a few deep breaths when the other person is throwing before i approach the oche.

simple but very effective
Reminds me of Andy Fordham. He kept his focus/composure with a shakey hand that's why he still managed making huge shots! Watch his latest match @ youtube.com.
The hardest opponent you will ever face is yourself. I had the same problem when I first played and stuck with me for a good couple of years. My head would go down and my confidence would vanish. It's definitely a confidence thing and with time, you eventually lose the shakes (although the nerves do stick with you on the inside). I'm pretty damned certain the pros went through the same learning curve. Try not to let the defeats get to you and use them as learning tools to better yourself. Let us know how you get on.
(11-17-2015, 01:08 PM)Irish Scot Wrote: Alright guys? I am about 6 games in to my first season playing with a darts team and every week I am so badly affected by nerves that it seriously affects my game. When I'm throwing practice darts before the match I can hit 180's and 140's regularly but as soon as the match starts old Mr. Shakey Hand kicks in. Last night I was playing a guy who , with all due respect, I should have beaten comfortably. But I ended up throwing my worst darts yet and lost heavily. I honestly felt like crying when I walked off the board. Do you have any tips or techniques that can help me overcome these nerves? I know, a rookie problem but I'm sure I'm not the only one  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I was the same when I started playing league for the first time this year.  Apart from the bit about 140's and 180's that is!  The first few visits I could hardly keep the darts from flying over the D20.

For me it has gotten better with time.  I still get nervous before big games or against top opponents but the shakes has mostly stopped.  I too drive so drinking to calm down isn't an option.  This took a lot of getting used to as I'd hardly ever (never) played darts sober prior to this.  Now I practice and play without having a drink which, for me, is much better.

One thing that seems to be helping is that I have a practice routine that uses Flight School.  I have been developing my throw using the A1 drill so I have things I can consciously think of when I throw.  For sure I throw better when I don't have to think but consciously knowing how my throw should work and feel is a huge help to me.  If needs be I can throw mechanically.  It may only 75% as good as when I'm throwing "naturally" but it's better than no knowing what's going on as the darts fly everywhere.
focus/concentrate on your throw plus cofidence and have FUN...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
I still get this from time to time as well. What worked / works for me is to practice relaxation and have a belief and confidence in myself that I *will* throw good darts. You're only 6 games in so it's no surprise really that you get nervous. As you gain more experience you will learn the ropes and should start to feel more relaxed and be able to play with more confidence and with that the shakiness should start to subside to a more and more controllable level
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Being comfortable makes such a difference. Honestly when I am playing practice I can shoot fine regardless of how I feel.
But when it counts it seems everything bothers me. Even when it gets a little chilly I feel like a get a shake only when it matters in games that count.
(11-17-2015, 01:08 PM)Irish Scot Wrote: Alright guys? I am about 6 games in to my first season playing with a darts team and every week I am so badly affected by nerves that it seriously affects my game. When I'm throwing practice darts before the match I can hit 180's and 140's regularly but as soon as the match starts old Mr. Shakey Hand kicks in. Last night I was playing a guy who , with all due respect, I should have beaten comfortably. But I ended up throwing my worst darts yet and lost heavily. I honestly felt like crying when I walked off the board. Do you have any tips or techniques that can help me overcome these nerves? I know, a rookie problem but I'm sure I'm not the only one  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

practice/experience is the only solution, if you do it enough times eventually you just dont care becauses its just another day of darts.
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
I never used to drink while playing darts but things changed and now I always have a few and I throw the best darts at that point feeling slightly merry, give it a try next time have a couple and if that don't work have a few more and pull the score board off the wall and ask the barmaid if she has any dominoes behind the bar.

good luck mate hope the nerves settle for you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching hands Mairtin Seoige 7 376 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Hot hands help? Trip5ive 15 1,332 05-02-2017, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Paddywaugh
  Clammy Hands Jamesr4300 5 427 03-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  Hands after release and follow through(NOW with pictures) Grey Owl 9 3,579 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: BigE
  Shakey Shakes thedartist 5 1,434 02-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Last Post: thedartist