Harrows Darts.

Wrong out shots ( 3 darts in hand )
Given that there are so many threads about "which outshot do you use" that attract outshots you should never take, I thought I would start a thread to collect all the bogus out shots directly.  

Let me start:

70:  S19, S19, D16
(11-16-2015, 04:51 AM)BigE Wrote: Given that there are so many threads about "which outshot do you use" that attract outshots you should never take, I thought I would start a thread to collect all the bogus out shots directly.  

Let me start:

Personally I'd go T20-D5 but think this thread will have more value if there is some discussion as to why this s bad (other than using three darts ona  two dart out)
(11-16-2015, 05:15 AM)davidsproull Wrote:
(11-16-2015, 04:51 AM)BigE Wrote: Given that there are so many threads about "which outshot do you use" that attract outshots you should never take, I thought I would start a thread to collect all the bogus out shots directly.  

Let me start:

Personally I'd go T20-D5 but think this thread will have more value if there is some discussion as to why this s bad (other than using three darts ona  two dart out)

David, as much as I like you and see your passion for darts, you are in desperate need of re-learning how you go for outshots. I base this on quite a few of your posts.
The BIG one.... going 16's with 80 left. :s

Another one would be going 18's with 90 left and the opponent is on an out.
Going 20's when stepping up for 99 with 3 Darts in hand is some thing I see quite a lot. People get bamboozled by 99, so most just throw 20's rather than mincing around on the Oche looking they don't know what to. Hitting the T20 first of course mitigates the problem, but you HAVE to hit it first Dart.... or throw over.
80  t16  d16
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
(11-16-2015, 06:13 AM)Cyanide Wrote: The BIG one.... going 16's with 80 left. :s

Another one would be going 18's with 90 left and the opponent is on an out.

Agreed
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
70 = S19 S19 D16 is wrong for two reasons:

1) The first S19 suggests 51 = S19 D16, which risks busting.   
2) Since you are not throwing for a triple, you will never have two shots at a double.  Even if it is unlikely to hit the triple, it's a chance you've thrown away.

70 = T14, D14 is preferred. NOT T18 D8.  Missing T18 low gives at best a shot at the bull.  Missing T14 low gives a shot at D20.

David, Cy is right, T20 D5 is also bogus as a 1/5 miss leaves at best a shot at the bull -- and D5 itself has problems with two darts in hand.... you may only get one shot off before correcting or busting.

I think the clear winner in the bogus outshots is 80.  Lots of people think 5x16 is the way to go.
82 = T14 D20 with three darts in hand is also bogus.  The percentage shot is Bull, D16, as 25 leaves S17 D20.  If you have trouble hitting 25, you'll have even more trouble with the smaller T14. S14 leaves only a shot at the bull.
(11-16-2015, 02:58 PM)BigE Wrote: 82 = T14 D20 with three darts in hand is also bogus.  The percentage shot is Bull, D16, as 25 leaves S17 D20.  If you have trouble hitting 25, you'll have even more trouble with the smaller T14.

82 is a tough one. I've won quite a few legs with cork-32 in 2 darts, but I've also won quite a few going 42-tops. T14 seems to be the trip I can hit with the highest percentage, but I do agree the 25 is larger.

For me personally, I can't say this one is bogus. Either route has risks of not leaving a dart at double without a treble.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
On that note, we can bring up the 67 shot again. T9 is clearly the way to go as a miss into anything around it makes it so you don't need a treble to have a dart at a standard double. Going 17s might only leave a dart at cork.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-16-2015, 06:09 AM)Cyanide Wrote:
(11-16-2015, 05:15 AM)davidsproull Wrote:

Let me start:

David, as much as I like you and see your passion for darts, you are in desperate need of re-learning how you go for outshots. I base this on quite a few of your posts.

Actually, there is no re-learning, just learning.  I also do not see why I should accept any out shout combo without question.  Case in point, in the same match I saw Taylor on 65 and he took it out Sbull-D20 whereas Barney went T15-D10 (which is how I have learned it)... so either one of them is wrong, or the is more than one way to skin a cat?
First and foremost I put my time in front of the board and I'll learn the numbers as I go and find which combos work best for me.  In the end though, if I can't hit what I am going for, and I can't take out my doubles then who cares what combo I am using.  
I think people misunderstand me, that somehow I am rejecting these anointed out shot combos.  This is simply untrue.  I have no doubt that smart shot selections can provide a competitive advantage.  I just also think that I see a lot of players that obsess over it, as if they have resigned themselves to becoming out shot combo experts, because they do not have the confidence to put the dart in the board.  Not saying that they are wrong to know/learn these combos, I am just saying it is not worth anyone losing their crap over it.  
Some people (like myself) are new and might appreciate a tip or two (especially with a good explanation) but freaking out over someone's shot selection is not only obnoxious, but it really turns new people off the game.

So then, if you have an outshot combo you like or dislike, tell me about it, and tell me why, and I will appreciate that, whether I follow your advice or not.  In the meantime I will go and practice now, as i did yesterday, and will do tomorrow, and as I do every day and hopefully I'll realize that you are trying to be helpful, and not actually condescending Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. .
65 as T15 D10, or T11 D16 -- also bogus. 25 tops is the outshot -- again, because the 25 is bigger than any triple.

I find in general, that many seem allergic to any outshot beginning with 25.
(11-16-2015, 02:57 PM)BigE Wrote: 70 = S19 S19 D16 is wrong for two reasons:

1) The first S19 suggests 51 = S19 D16, which risks busting.   
2) Since you are not throwing for a triple, you will never have two shots at a double.  Even if it is unlikely to hit the triple, it's a chance you've thrown away.

70 = T14, D14 is preferred. NOT T18 D8.  Missing T18 low gives at best a shot at the bull.  Missing T14 low gives a shot at D20.

David, Cy is right, T20 D5 is also bogus as a 1/5 miss leaves at best a shot at the bull -- and D5 itself has problems with two darts in hand.... you may only get one shot off before correcting or busting.

I think the clear winner in the bogus outshots is 80.  Lots of people think 5x16 is the way to go.

Ok thanks.  In defense of the T20-D5 though, S20 leaves me DB, and while a S5 is not an out shot, it is at least a strong position if I survive into my next turn. 
I'm decent on the T14 though... so...
That reminds me of another bogus outshot:

Going bull with either two or three darts in hand is not the right shot!  The percentage shot would be S10 D20 -- NOT S18 D16, as you can bust 50 with the T18.

Bull/cork is only the right out with one dart in hand.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts slipping from hand, grip problem? clem1995 28 3,086 08-17-2019, 01:46 AM
Last Post: Jefferz
  how do you get back on track when all goes wrong? McBoing 3 390 04-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Last Post: McBoing
  Is my gripping of the dart wrong? Advice needed impaler1991 13 1,411 07-30-2018, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Banz
  How to stop darts slipping in hand? Dartingmad1 11 2,646 01-26-2018, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Doubledouble
  shots drifting right yemfrench 2 658 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Rod Dogg
  Dog Hand Troll 9 1,721 06-18-2016, 01:19 AM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Memorizing Out Shots darwin1200 35 12,161 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Last Post: BigE
  3 out shots to think about at 101 Big Gun 5 3,473 12-23-2013, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Dorian