Double Top Darts.

WHAT MAKES A WINNING ATTITUDE?
Like a lot of members we have all seen some truly great players win tournaments and also the 'not so great' win too. No doubt we've all wondered from time to time what makes a great player a winner and a champion?

In my experience it has invariably to be the individuals' desire to win and their composure to be a winner. To most its' not a natural trait to be a winner, some players are surprised and almost apologetic when they win. You'll also often find that players have the attitude.... "I know I'm not going to beat this guy but I'll try and get a respectable score if I can."
I've had players say to me ..."Now don't be too hard on me "....my reaction? Blast them! I think if somebody says that even if its a tongue in cheek remark they've lost already and beating a loser is no fun.

I'd much prefer to play against someone who's going to make a game of it and challenge me by trying their hardest. If I then win the satisfaction is much higher, after all, we all put several hours into honing our skills, so the rewards must be worthwhile. Now my attitude to playing and winning has certainly mellowed with age I used to really have a 'take no prisoners attitude' but I was younger then and didn't respect my opposition Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. .
That's changed 180 degrees now since taking up darts after several years break, nowadays I am very polite and almost demure Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. when playing but when it comes to crunch games and especially against a person with an arrogance and has a mouth its a different story.
The good thing IMHO is that I begin to focus on beating the board not the opponent..... its less emotional that way and I don't get so annoyed or tense with their behaviour. Instead I begin to HATE the target not simply HIT what I'm aiming at. What this does for me is that its puts a hell of a lot more intensity and slightly more momentum and purpose to my throw, it really is a Ready Aim Fire.

I know a lot of members here when playing, may think " My grouping is good or that's nice, I like the way they flew , or are comfortably satisfied with how close they came to hitting the double etc, etc. " If that's you..... you're not in the game your head is somewhere else and your results will testify to that afterwards.

Another related thing is l'earning to lose gracefully' it is an old adage but I believe the GRACE part comes much more naturally if you have best to win and not just 'participated' and of course respected and acknowledged the other players ability (afterwards).

Practice sessions serve to improve one's ability and importantly, over time, one's confidence but often without having a 'losing experience' and disliking it, you can get the 'oche shakes'.
We've all had them but I endeavour to convert these nerves into a positive by playing the 'board' and start hating the Target and try to punish the doubles and trebles this becomes a powerful positive from then onwards. Having a never give up approach is another trait of a champion as it evaporates any negative thoughts you have about your game.

In summary I guess what I'm saying is play believing you can win and throw with a purpose.

I'd really like to hear from other members on this topic.....of course we're all different in our approach and may differ greatly from my own views but I'm here to learn not preach to the converted!

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who makes the best tungsten darts and learning numbers Rickydarts 15 2,745 05-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Last Post: The G