Unicorn

Practice time...
I'm currently getting in 10-15 hours a week practicing, I'd like to do more but with work and kids etc it's quite hard.
Would you say this is enough to eventually get to tournament standards?
"Why So Serious?"
(11-07-2015, 08:32 PM)Si "TheJoker" Anderton Wrote: I'm currently getting in 10-15 hours a week practicing, I'd like to do more but with work and kids etc it's quite hard.
Would you say this is enough to eventually get to tournament standards?

It depends on whether you practice smart, or throw mindlessly.  It also depends on how long you intend to do that.
i currently practice for roughly 2 hours a day going through routines like 27, 121 and doing finishes for 60 up, i then try to go play with friends for a few hours a day for i personally believe this helps me to out my practice into a game/tournament related circumstance, i myself play tournaments regularly and believes this helps me. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Playing the game always helps
(12-04-2015, 04:22 AM)Crusher17 Wrote: Playing the game always helps

Your going to like this Crusher,  I don't have a single web site to back up this opinion.  

I think that moving into game play too early is not a good idea.  The added stress of making a winning shot can give the beginning player the "yips", if they are not of the mind to just throw the dart.  

I think it is better to play practice games where there is no set winner/loser until the beginner has established a throw that they are comfortable with, and can repeat as needed.  That's not to say they are hitting triples on demand, but when they shoot for triples, their arm does not go spastic and fire a dart 3 segments over....

SO game play is not *always* recommended.  

Bottom line:  You need to keep within the beginners comfort zone.
yes playing games like tournament i believe isn't always good for a beginner but playing with friends i would encourage as it lets u asses your progress, i know u can document ur progress by setting goals in solitary practice but i personally think u still need to put ur game up against other as a friendly competition will bring out the flaws and highs of ur game. so then u can bring them back to practicing by yourself and work on them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Are you just begining Sligo or just getting into it more and have played for years ?
i have been playing darts for years, my dad taught me how to count on a dartboard, but i personally didn't take it serious until about 5 years ago, but even then i knew i wasn't good enough to enter tournaments but i practiced and put myself up against friends to judge my progress, i entered my first tournament which was a singes league about 4 years ago and came second in that tournament which proved to me i was ready to start entering tournaments.
I figured you'd played fora bit just wanted to make sure lol
like I'm no professional, I'm only 23 and always learning but i do believe that playing games against friends as part of your practice is very benifical as u can asses your game and it gives u a insight into competition Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-04-2015, 05:19 AM)Sligolad Wrote: like I'm no professional, I'm only 23 and always learning but i do believe that playing games against friends as part of your practice is very benifical as u can asses your game and it gives u a insight into competition Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Absolutely spot on, practicing on your own helps fine tune and maintain the mechanics but does nothing for the mental game. Competing, even with friends is far more beneficial as it improves your overall game also as you say, it's a great thermometer for how you're progressing and it can help to fine tune your practicing too.

Cheers +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Thanks Dorian Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but it is true, in solitary pratice u can't properly create pressured game shot which will get ur mind thinking about your options and relaying these options(sometimes the wrong option) to your hand Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Spot on if it wasn't getting late and if i wasn't getting tired i might go to a website then copy a paragraph of BS for you Sligolad but i think your on your way, just remember when you have 2 left go D1 -100% of the time
That's the best advice I have ever got crusher thank you, no doubt we will talk again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-05-2015, 04:14 AM)Crusher17 Wrote: Spot on if it wasn't getting late and if i wasn't getting tired i might go to a website then copy a paragraph of BS for you Sligolad but i think your on your way, just remember when you have 2 left go D1 -100% of the time

Actually of all the available out shots for a score of 2, the double 1 is actually the least likely to succeed.  There is no possible out-shot that is less likely to succeed..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best practice time - morning, afternoon or evening? SpoonyG 10 580 11-01-2017, 03:47 AM
Last Post: GreenDart180
Lightbulb Time Efficient Practice? Then "D P" Dorian 26 3,884 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Last Post: trekbowl300
  Practice Duration (Continuous time) BigE 27 4,881 07-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Gada