Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Dominant Eye
Hey guys,

How do I find out what my dominant eye is? I know there's technique to do this I'm just not sure how.
"Why So Serious?"
One way is to cross your hands in front of your face so that a triangle is formed between your thumbs and inside edge of your hand.

Pick something across the room and with both eyes open, look at it through the triangle. Close an eye. If you can still see what you were looking at, your dominant eye is open.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  22gm Bulls White Pegasus, intermediate nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, Rhino standard flights.
(11-05-2015, 12:49 AM)JayPro Wrote: One way is to cross your hands in front of your face so that a triangle is formed between your thumbs and inside edge of your hand.

Pick something across the room and with both eyes open, look at it through the triangle.   Close an eye.  If you can still see what you were looking at, your dominant eye is open.
I didnt know that, cheers jaypro
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Another one is the convergence test, which is very similar to the method JayPro mentioned only you form the triangle and gradually move it towards your face, your hands should naturally favour moving to one eye in order to keep the object in view - this will be your dominant eye. You have to of course not force the movement, but let it occur unconciously for this method to work
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

OK thanks guys, I'll try both and test the results
"Why So Serious?"
Nice and easy test guys!

Not to highjack this thread or anything, but seeing the question is already answered...
Who else is in the oddball category of being righthanded and left eye dominant?
I am
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  22gm Bulls White Pegasus, intermediate nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, Rhino standard flights.
(11-05-2015, 10:42 AM)Red Wrote: Nice and easy test guys!

Not to highjack this thread or anything, but seeing the question is already answered...

Lefty here, right eye dominant.
First note that I've only been playing a little over three years, and I'm a slow learner, so I'm just beginning to figure this stuff out.

I was shown this test outside the pub where I play the most: while staring at the sign over the sushi bar across the street, first close one eye and then the other. With one eye open, the sign will stay put. With the other eye, the sign will appear to move. The eye that's open when the sign stays put is your dominant eye.

According to that test, I'm cross-dominant. I've always shot long guns with the wrong eye, si I'm assuming it to be true. For a while I tried arching my back and contorting like a pretzel to get my throwing hand in from of my opposite eye like Phil Taylor does. He makes it look easy, but it's way not. Then I tried more of a straight-on approach like Bobby George. Problem with that was that I could get the hand in front of the eye, but the arm came away from the body wanting to twist itself back to the right. This makes the release point far too critical. Also, my rib cage kind of got in my arm's way when throwing at the bottom of the board.

The key discovery for me was that I didn't necessarily need to get my right hand smack in front of my left eye, so much as I needed to make sure I wasn't sighting with ONLY my right eye. That, and making the mental decision that my arm knows just as much about where the target is as my eye does. So these days I'm lining up somewhere between 45 degrees and sideways, turning my head a little so I can sight with both eyes, and making sure the arm comes out straight.

A year from now, I'll probably be doing something entirely different :-)
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

I learned this one from Archery. Point at the Bull. Close one eye, Switch to the other. With one eye, the bull won't move, with the other your finger should shift off. If you're like me and nearly not dominant (i do a lot of work with both eyes for other sports), pick whichever feels comfortable and train yourself a proper sight picture.
Why bother knowing this?

I am too! Standing in the conventional position(all the guides that I've read say stand at a 45 degree angle) doesn't seem to produce very good results for me, and it feels awkward. After doing some experimenting, what works best for me so far is standing at 90 degrees to the board rather than 45 degrees, and then leaning back slightly so that my left eye is in line rather than my right.
(09-10-2016, 01:17 AM)Jefferz Wrote:

I am too!  Standing in the conventional position(all the guides that I've read say stand at a 45 degree angle) doesn't seem to produce very good results for me, and it feels awkward. After doing some experimenting, what works best for me so far is standing at 90 degrees to the board rather than 45 degrees, and then leaning back slightly so that my left eye is in line rather than my right.

We are all different and we all stand and throw different, that's why darts can be so difficult as it can take a while to learn what works best for you, as long as it works is all that matters and although we may have guidelines on technique with darts its probably one of the most individual things around as there is so many variables in the throwing of the things! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I am crossed eyed dominant but it seems to hold my game back a bit. If I don't hold the dart underneath my left eye I cant aim at all. But when I do my arm moves sideways alot when throwing, this gives me the bad habit to snatch alot so that the throwing motion is shorter.
I've just discovered I'm left eye dominant and right handed.
While I always had my suspicions I was right handed, the left eye dominant thing is news to me lol, learn something new everyday ay Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  left eye dominant BIRDIEBOY13 9 1,893 10-13-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: TFSmith