Double Top Darts.

A Very Good (read GREAT) Routine
Some months ago I posted that in my 'ever evolving warm up drill' that I'd made up a routine based on hitting the key trebles 18/19/20.

It is simple (but not easy) all you have to do is to throw one dart at each treble in the sequence 20-19-18 and continue the circuit until you manage to get 5 of each treble.

Importantly, even if you manage to get say the 5 x T18's first you must continue to throw at all the 3 trebles in sequence until completed, the big benefit for me was that its a great practice for cover shots and big 'out' shots. I do this regularly and I really enjoy it and after a while I get through it quite quickly, so much so that I now include T17's too. Note: If you're pushed for time you can eliminate a Key Treble after getting the 5 sets and not include it as you continue around.
The proof of the pudding of its real benefit was evident earlier on tonight when I found myself playing in the club's open championship (I had no idea it was on tonight ....must have missed the email  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) . So I arrive at the club totally unprepared for a match let alone the club championship (501 best of 3 legs) so with around 40 mins only to practice I did a quick 1-20 doubles then bull practice and spent the rest of my time doing the above routine. It served me very  well indeed as I needed several cover shots after poor dart placements blocking the T20 and I had several scores which included the use of combined key trebles.  Anyway I felt really confident after the warm up session and played some really good darts made it through to the quarter finals by getting a 15 dart decider against a top 5 premier league player Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  so I would seriously suggest it would be worth a go, try incorporating it in your routine for a while.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Sounds good. Seems to work for you and congratulations on your game. I'll do this similar routine warming up sometimes for cricket
Will definitely add this to my warm up.

Thanks
That sounds good. I think it's definitely important to practice both hitting one small target constantly and also be able hit the small targets first time as a one off like your suggested routine.
sounds like a fair idea to me
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
As a footnote the club championship final was great to watch, the winner won best of 5 legs and scored 3-0, Whilst this didn't necessarily reflect the closeness of the legs the winner had 2 15 darters and a 14 darter to win.

I consider myself fortunate to be a club member of the MSDA we regularly have state representatives like the new club champion referred to above.

Cheers

PS Jamie Caven is coming to town.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Sounds simple but good, cheers Dorian Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I have indeed added this to the end of my warm up.

I find it's not only a good way to warm up, but a great way to tell how well warmed up you are.  And as Dorian says it adds confidence and feel to the important cover/set-up trebles as well.

The best ideas are the simple ones!
Thanks Banz,

I have to say that this is by far the best element in a warm-up routine I've ever done and it will definitely help you to improve your scoring and confidence Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. After you've completed it say a dozen times (yes you must be committed) both your accuracy on these key trebles and overall confidence will soar and you'll whiz through it in no time.
Then if you play a match afterwards you are ready for anything and you soon realise how much you've improved and how much greater your opportunities are in getting higher scores and finishing will be then like me you'll love it. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My (current) Pre-Match and general Warm-Up Routine :-

1. 1-20 in doubles - Benefit, this gets your 'eye-hand co-ordination' going and gives you a little bit of a stretch as you go around importantly it helps gets 'your act together for grouping' your darts.
  2. Bulls Practice - Hit 30 pts consecutively i.e 1pt for outer 2 pts for inner Bull - Benefit, much sharper focus on smooth action and concentration and brilliant for grouping, importantly you should be well prepared to close on a Bull too.
  3. Key Treble Routine 20-19-18-17 - Benefits, as detailed earlier..... great routine and is the next logical step after the previous steps.
  4. Favourite Double + Splits e.g, I like D20 so I hit 20:10:5 then I go 16:8:4:2 - Benefits obvious but refocusses warm up session to finishing.
This is my current warm-up routine and at a leisurely pace with physical stretching (before and sometimes during and after) it takes around 45 mins (don't forget I've been doing parts of this routine for a while now) ....Its not a race but I'm conscious of how much time I take as I don't want to overdo it or rush.

If I've gone well and there's time to spare before the crowd comes in, I'll do a 6 dart finish game where I just nominate 5 consecutive numbers and close them in 6 darts or less, usually I start with 121-125 or higher....this is where I get the direct benefit of the Key Trebles, Doubles and Bull's Routine.
I know a lot of members just hammer away at the T20 and 20's etc that's ok to a point I suppose but in the above routine you've got your eye in on the trebles and your grouping is well oiled so I don't find the necessity to do this, but hey we're all different and whatever works for you guys and gals etc,etc.

I hope this helps you as much as its helping my game and confidence.

Best regards
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Hi Guys,

I decided to check on my timing to complete the sessions mentioned and I've just completed step 1-4 in 30 mins

Why? Because I love a challenge and I wanted you to see that I'm not exaggerating or bullshi*ting and it's a measure of how much it can help. It was also Great Fun.

Now I went flat out and retrieved the darts quickly etc.

1. Doubles took 9 mins

2. Bulls 7 mins (should add that I was lucky and only had to re-start once)

3 Trebles 12 mins

4. Favourite doubles and splits (1set of each only) 2 mins

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

going to try it, thanks!
I have improved my trebles when i include your 20-19-18 routine as one of my practice drills...Thanks a lot Dorian...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
Brick 
(11-13-2015, 04:46 PM)nivla Wrote: I have improved my trebles when i include your 20-19-18 routine as one of my practice drills...Thanks a lot Dorian...

Does anyone set up the Flight school A3 drill for cricket? ie, 20-20-20-19-19-19 etc?
(11-13-2015, 06:51 PM)BigE Wrote: Does anyone set up the Flight school A3 drill for cricket? ie, 20-20-20-19-19-19 etc?

A1,A2 then Dorian`s routine,then A3...its like set/warm up for me before i jump to A3 drill...hope i am not wrong doing this... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
so long as the stroke stays consistent between A1A2 and dorians routine/A3 you are fine.  If you start to force the shot when spot shooting, stop it and stay with A1 A2 longer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Bulls-Doubles practice routine - This routine will improve your game. *Saber* 36 7,213 08-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Machine618
  Great practice tips from Barney Dorian 6 2,307 07-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Last Post: sbroon
  Great advice *Saber* 21 4,899 05-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Finish routine + Doubles routine rvh1991 7 1,577 02-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Last Post: JayPro