Darts Buddy

Aiming
Question from a relatively new player.

When aiming, should I choose my target with an extended arm or at the release point?

I've found I've had better grouping when targeting at an extended arm but it's not very consistent. Which is frustrating.

I'm asking now so I don't develop a bad habit that will be hard to shift the longer I do it.

Can anyone advise on how I should be initially aiming at the board?

Cheers guys.

"Why So Serious?"
We all different. What works best for you and is most consistent.
Yea I tend to consistently get my darts nicely grouped but when aiming at the T20 they can go anywhere in the top three numbers (5,20,1) and I've heard elsewhere it's because I aim with my arm fully extended but release the dart when my arm is at 90°c
"Why So Serious?"
(11-03-2015, 01:17 AM)Si "TheJoker" Anderton Wrote: Question from a relatively new player.

When aiming, should I choose my target with an extended arm or at the release point?

I've found I've had better grouping when targeting at an extended arm but it's not very consistent. Which is frustrating.

I'm asking now so I don't develop a bad habit that will be hard to shift the longer I do it.

Can anyone advise on how I should be initially aiming at the board?

Cheers guys.

I recently added an explicit "aim" step to my throw.  For me I take the dart and grip it, raise it with my arm bent, pause to aim, then take the dart back and throw with a nice long follow through.

Disclaimer: I am a 50-55 PPT throw player so perhaps not best suited to give advice!
I have been experimenting with my initial starting point ,,,,,so far this is what is working for me ,,,,,I am trying to start my "swing",,, "pull back",,, at the same point as the release point ,,,,,if you watch any slow motion videos of the pros on you tube ,,, you will see that the release is relatively close to the body and then the arm goes forward to complete the follow through,,,,,,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEn49to3yu4
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Not everyone aims or needs to aim but I think its good to have a starting point, the problem is we are all unique so there is no right or wrong way for you to do it only what works for you. But you will need time to learn your own style and observe how you do it and what works so you can hopefully repeat it and get consistent.

I personally think it should be around the position that you release the darts. I kind of aim with the point while my arm is vertical at 90 degrees, and then draw back and the try to release just before that point I was aiming with as I know my darts loop up and its just how I have come to get used to doing it, then after release try to follow through smoothly.

Thats just me though, you may be different Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Really good advice guys, I've just done an hour of trying a different technique and much better results, in fact i hit 125 twice in a row then an 85.

Maybe a fluke but if I can just remember how I did it then I'm sure I can develop it into a more consistent throw.

Cheers guys. ?
"Why So Serious?"
Sounds good, keep it up! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(11-03-2015, 11:06 AM)Si "TheJoker" Anderton Wrote: Really good advice guys, I've just done an hour of trying a different technique and much better results, in fact i hit 125 twice in a row then an 85.

Maybe a fluke but if I can just remember how I did it then I'm sure I can develop it into a more consistent throw.

Cheers guys. ?

The important thing to remember is that there is NO MAGICAL solution. Some people change darts for the quick answer ... some people like me change the way they throw, grip and stand.

However ...

The fastest, surest way to reaching your top level is to focus on the basics: 

1) Stillness of the head and shoulder
2) Proper extension
3) Comfort and belief in your style .... 

4) (this occurs best after the first 3 are solid) ... Practice, Trust and Even More Practice 
5) Don't overthink the technique ... simple requests from your brain like: same throw, mmm higher ... mmm lower ... mmm straighter ... (avoid your brain giving yourself technique advice ... let YOU just naturally do it ... this is the SINGLE most best advice I have ever given)

Throwing darts is not a recipe followed from a cookbook... the best meals are based from a traditional recipe (ie 3 first steps) ... THEN they are from the hip .. dash of this .. pinch of that .. taste ... stir ... toss in leftovers ... and VOILA.

* Throw darts like a master chef plays in the kitchen *   .... this may become my new slogan!!!

ENJOY the PASSION
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
I'm not aim at all Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. keep calm and remember Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. rhythm and follow thrugh
Far be it from me to give advice but one thing I know from flight school's founder " just throw the dart". It takes me concentration on a pin point to even come close to the mark. Oh and many many hours of practice. I'm not gifted by any means
Everybody is different and what works for one person might not work for another. One thing I would say about aiming with a fully extended arm is that it leaves a long drawback before you push forward and release the dart so getting everything to follow the same plane every time may be more difficult. The key is practice of course and honing your technique. Watch some youtube videos of the pros and tips from the pros for some ideas, but don't alter your natural to the point where it doesn't feel right
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I feel like aiming with your arm so far out would get you tired quicker, especially if you are playing a long game or just for a long time in general.

Doesn't Devon Petersen aim like that though?
https://youtu.be/zSwrvp4FVK4

I definitely wouldn't say adrian lewis aims like that, but he does kinda put his arm out like that and then you can see him almost "click" into his throw rhythm.
Main thing is not to over think.
Thanks guys, this is all really helping my progress.
"Why So Serious?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aiming on the horisontal / vertical plane mascDK 14 388 02-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Last Post: mascDK
  Aiming, or not Hazza 4 362 04-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Hazza
  dart in front of eye when aiming? tjdetweiler 11 979 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Last Post: tjdetweiler
  Aiming at 19 but hitting 16? Ed180 18 1,687 08-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  Problems with aiming Stefan Gusko 11 1,942 01-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Aiming issue Troll 7 855 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Musher
  Hitting/Aiming big number compared with treble Leetaylor17 3 956 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  aiming at target Jamesr4300 11 1,450 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Jamesr4300
  problem with raising arm and aiming slowly lennon909 4 1,416 07-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  aiming and focus English Animal 6 1,154 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Renwick180