Harrows Darts.

Unicorn Neon 2 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Q3b2Om5pA

I reviewed the first Neon model here: Neon 1 review  This is the review of the recently released Neon version 2.  They are 90% as the others with the same DNA Titanium coating which is uniquely coloured for each barrel.  This model is available in 21, 23 and 25 grams, I am reviewing the 23g version and there is also a soft tip version available in 19g.  They retail for £50.  You can find more info on the Unicorn site here: Neon 2 darts

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a cardboard box with a slide out tray which has a foam insert holding the contents. With the barrels you get a set of medium Unicorn Gripper 3 Mirage stems with spring clips, an alloy trident point protector and a set of Neon .75 micron flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The darts have a very nice profile which is quite similar to the original Barney style but as you can see they have a LP grip finish on the front and rear sections.  There is some lateral grooves along the barrel which adds a little more grip but overall they are not as grippy as the first Neon model, I would say its about a high medium level of grip though, which is plenty for most people and I was happy with how it felt in my fingers.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

The difference between lightest and heaviest barrel is seven hundredths of a gram which is below the + or - 0.1g as stated on box, and with a barrel that is machined with such a grip its fine Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Weight of the full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrel is slightly front weighted:

With the supplied set up it moves to the centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Darts had plenty of grip on the front for me to grip them in my natural grip and I was very happy with the feel of them there:

Darts landed in the board in my usual angle:

Hey I cant miss an opportunity to post this again, lol!  The 180 I got while doing the video slow-mo bit in my review vid, I don't get many these days so have to milk it don't I! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

CONCLUSION:

Well when I first played with these I was not really feeling in such a great mood for darts, it was not that I was not eager to try them it was more that I had been having my old troubles of not releasing the dart right and my wrist was hurting which was dispiriting me somewhat.  But there was something nice about throwing these which is that feeling I have described before where a dart kind of just feels good to throw but you cant always pin point why.  I was getting that feeling with these and was liking the way the dart released out my fingers and in spite of some wrist pain I was throwing fairly well with them.  I think they were behaving well enough in the air with my front grip, just a very slight sideways movement but I don't know if that was more my wrist issue than the darts fault but on the whole with my front grip they flew nice and stable.

The darts did feel like the balance was a lot better on the middle section though and when I threw them from there it seemed to be that bit more stable although they did fly a little flatter.  But as you can see there is not as much grip on the middle save for the notches which run along the length.  But if your a centre gripper I would not let that put you off unless you really must have plenty of grip.

I could not throw them at all from the rear though.  But as I often say its not my natural grip and its sometimes a mystery to me that I ever get any barrel to throw straight when throwing from the rear as it always feels extremely weird for me gripping it there, but I was not good with these.  If its your natural grip position though I don't see any real reason why it wont work for you.

It was a nice surprise to hit a 180 with these and I think on the whole these have worked better for me than the first model as I think these ones work well with my natural grip and its nice that the grip section at the front is far enough along the barrel to fit with my grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Looks wise I think the look of the first model is a little better but these are still a very nice looking dart which is enhanced by the DNA Ti coloured coating.

Its also interesting that even thought the 2 models are of a similar length the first model came with short stems and the Neon 2 has come with mediums which is my usual stem length and I have thrown these better, hmmm?  I may try some mediums on the first model and see what happens Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Overall a very nice addition to the Neon range and well worth a try Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary:

Looks: 8 (nice but I think the first model was nicer)
Grip: 7.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 7.5 (could be better)
Quality: 8 (mostly good)
Value: 7 (as with the other model not cheap but nice darts)
Suitability for me: 8.5 (felt very nice and worked well)

Best Feature: Overall very nice dart Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review and pics Darren
Thanks Shawn Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

yet again another outstanding review with fantastic pictures. they do look very nice i must say.
Darts: 20g Peter Wright Euro 11 Elements 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Cheers Rich Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its funny as last week I was having a throw with the first Neon model and was doing quite well with them but I don't know why I never thought of trying a medium stem and yet these have the longer stems and I hit a 180, don't think it was just that though as they have that certain feel that is hard to describe but you know they feel good to throw Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another excellent review mate, they do look stunning (though not in close up) and that finish really sets them off - I also really like the packaging too.

Once again :10/10: for the review....

:hail: :carrot:
I have been using mediums for a while now and they have made a big difference to my game
Darts: 20g Peter Wright Euro 11 Elements 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Great review, like always.

It seems that Unicorn needs to run their darts through some sort of polish or maybe just some sort of wire brush at least. I may have only noticed on a couple darts and all companies are similar, but the macro pictures show some rough machining.
+1 for a great review and the 180!
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

I know you love these darts after that excellent 180. I put them on my soon-to-buy list
I'm also glad that I don't have good eye sight for viewing the darts close up as the machining looks ratty with the close-ups you took, but in reality I only care about how they look landing where I aim them
thank d
really nice slow mo 180
My 180 : 103
(11-02-2015, 05:32 PM)REBEL Wrote: Another excellent review mate, they do look stunning (though not in close up) and that finish really sets them off - I also really like the packaging too.

Once again :10/10: for the review....

:hail: :carrot:

Thanks Greg! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(11-02-2015, 06:58 PM)rich345 Wrote: I have been using mediums for a while now and they have made a big difference to my game

I use them all the time usually.

(11-02-2015, 07:09 PM)Dmott Wrote: Great review, like always.

It seems that Unicorn needs to run their darts through some sort of polish or maybe just some sort of wire brush at least. I may have only noticed on a couple darts and all companies are similar, but the macro pictures show some rough machining.

Thanks mate!  I could be wrong but I think that particular grip they do is meant to be like that, it was rough on one of the other models, think it was a Barney model but its also the lateral groove were the burrs from the machine is left, I suppose they could spend time to smooth it but it adds a little extra coarseness to the grip really. 

(11-02-2015, 07:12 PM)jc14 Wrote: +1 for a great review and the 180!

Thanks JC! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(11-02-2015, 07:12 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I know you love these darts after that excellent 180. I put them on my soon-to-buy list
I'm also glad that I don't have good eye sight for  viewing the darts close up as the machining looks ratty with the close-ups you took, but in reality I only care about how they look landing where I aim them
thank d

Thanks Tom!  Yeah it looks worse in the close ups but like I say above I think its meant to be that coarse finish.

(11-02-2015, 07:22 PM)Patrick.B Wrote: really nice slow mo 180

Cheers Patrick! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review and pictures, love the 180 slow-mo! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Kev, I did too lol!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review as always. Very beautiful 180!!!
These are great looking Darts but I prefer the first versión. They have been working pretty well for me. Something I Would like from both versiones is for them yo be grippier at the center since Im a middle gripier. Ive been playing with first versión for 3 weeks now and my impression is that they were out very soon. Whats tour opinion on that?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn 2022 Dimitri Van Den Bergh Noir Darts Review Getagrip 13 266 08-26-2021, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson World Champion Phase 5 Darts Review Getagrip 15 371 08-02-2021, 03:01 PM
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson Phase 5 Noir Darts Review Getagrip 13 279 07-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Simoski
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 41 26,787 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 839 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,289 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 517 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,400 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 410 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,967 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa