Darts Buddy

Serious with 12g?
I have heard that Hankey has used 14g darts. I wonder if ANYONE has ever been successful with 12g darts? I started throwing them out of necessity as my elbow healed from surgery. I was able to develop a really nice follow through. And now my arm is healed enough to use heavier darts. But as I go up in weight, I start cutting my follow through short. I am considering a 20g dart, but seeing as how I have a 17g that is similar to the 12g and I keep reverting to the 12g, I am not sure if I really want to come up in weight. 24g was my preferred weight before surgery. My arm still has months of healing to return to maximum strength. The point is, I feel oddly guilty for being so happy at 12g. I would like to feel that I was not alone at this weight. Maybe that could be my stage name? Tim, The Liteweight, Baker. Ha ha.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Stephen Bunting uses 12g. I also have the Bunting Gen 1 and Gen 2 in 12g. I used the Gen 1 12g for most of my league's summer season Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. your not alone bud
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I've never thrown with anything lighter than a 20g. How hard do you have to throw it to get it to stick reliably? I sometimes think throwing a lightweight would force me to throw really hard, which may work for me.
I went from 25g (Phase 6) to 14g barrel Dimplex softips and now I throw with 15g custom stilettos. You're certainly not alone. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Welcome to the light side I guess Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
(10-30-2015, 02:27 PM)Titan Wrote: Stephen Bunting uses 12g. I also have the Bunting Gen 1 and Gen 2 in 12g. I used the Gen 1 12g for most of my league's summer season Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. your not alone bud
I imagine, you and Stephen Bunting are good company to be in. Thanks for the encouragement.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-30-2015, 02:27 PM)Bayou Wrote: I've never thrown with anything lighter than a 20g. How hard do you have to throw it to get it to stick reliably? I sometimes think throwing a lightweight would force me to throw really hard, which may work for me.
I don't have a problem with any darts not sticking in my old, bull beaten, soon to be replaced, Bandit Board. I even have a set of 8g darts that stick fine. I do think the lighter darts deflect easier. Heavier darts have a better chance of making it to the board after a deflection. On the plus side, lighter darts sustain much less damage to flights and stems upon robin hood contact. I do NOT throw really hard. But you can't lob them either. A nice, easy, relaxed throw with a good follow through gets them stuck in the board on a fairly straight line. I use slim flights. A standard makes the 12gs feel like they hit the air brakes two inches from the board. They will stand up, but land low. Even pears are too much flight, (for me). I use the slims because I prefer the faster flight speed and sticking in straight rather than standing up. I would recommend you try a 12g, except that I know experimentation often leaves us confused and not sure where we want to stay. Me being a case in point. At your own risk. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

anytime man. you should try my setup, Bunting 12g with 30mm Diamond pro points. Ive never had a dart fall out and they fly great! I have 30mm gold diamond pro points in my Gen 2 Buntings Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
If your happy with 12gm by all means play with them bud.
Bob Anderson World Champion and winner of the Winmau World Masters 3 years on the trot.

Dennis Priestley 2 Time World Champion and winner of many other majors

Ted Hankey 2 time world Champion and one of the nicest throws in the business

Stephen Bunting BDO World champion and the only player to ever win the Winmau World Masters without dropping a single set

Colin Lloyd was was ranked #1 in the world and pocketed a major or 2?

All these players use a dart that's 18 grams or less. 

There's some sort of stigma about playing with a light dart. And a ton of myths surround light darts. 

Especially in the USA where it's common to use 28 grams and higher. 

Even this thread is asking the question about light darts. Like it's impossible that they should be working so well. 

Look at the names above and add to that, the entire country of Japan and all their soft tip dart players. 

If it's working for you, go with it. I think you're finding out how effortless they are to throw? 

When I'm sure you've read "you have to throw light darts harder" a million times. Again, another myth. 

Take your time and heal up, have fun and enjoy those light darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Stephen Bunting is the one that immediately springs to my mind as a 12g dart user and he's doing alright for himself! If they feel comfortable, fly well and you are getting the results with them then stick with them, it does not matter what weight they are if they fly and go where you want them to
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Personal preference , personal preference. MVG, Barney, Phil Taylor and most pros use 21gm or heavier, all use heavier darts. Did I say personal preference? Use what feels good to you Buggy man.
Ya like 'em, use 'em.  Opponent's will only care when you beat themGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(10-30-2015, 03:30 PM)AD18 Wrote: Ya like 'em, use 'em.  Opponent's will only care when you beat themGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Spot on. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Never used anything over 18g full setup with seriousness. Tried a 24g once and did not like it.
i have never tried anything lighter than 20g but i am not keen at all on darts over 24g. 12g does seem extremely light, but as everyone has said, use what works for you. i will not knock them as i have never tried them.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

(10-30-2015, 03:03 PM)Titan Wrote: anytime man. you should try my setup, Bunting 12g with 30mm Diamond pro points. Ive never had a dart fall out and they fly great! I have 30mm gold diamond pro points in my Gen 2 Buntings Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The Buntings look great. I wouldn't mind having a set. However, I am really keen on the slightly smaller diameter of my Hi-Techs. I think the gold diamond pro points are a little extreme and unnecessary for my home board. I am using 30mm smooth black Storms in mine. However, when I get back to playing down at the bar I might put a setup together with the lazar etching for playing there.