Double Top Darts.

Harrows Atomic 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTdwIoBY1E

This is the recently released Harrows Atomic darts from Harrows new range of 2016 darts.  There is two models in the range and this is the longer model with the bulbous front and its available in 21, 23 and 25 grams, this is the 23g version.  They have Harrows new Atomic grip and are 90% tungsten with an RRP of  £22.74.

You can find more info on the Harrows site here: Harrows Atomic

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

Darts are come in a slim style cardboard box with a see through plastic window.  Inside the barrels are fitted into a point protector and supplied is a a hard Harrows plastic case, clear Supergrip medium stems and the Harrows Atomic flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

As you can see from the pics the Atomic grip looks quite aggressive and it is very grippy but kind of unique too in that it does not dig or stick into you like some aggressive grips do.  They shape of the barrel is kind of similar to the bulbous Priestly style but these have more of a taper to the front before the widest part and then they taper gently towards the end of the barrel.  Its a high level of grip of course Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

WEIGHT:

Barrels were fairly close and considering there is so much machined on the barrels for the Atomic grip I think its pretty good.  The difference between the lightest and heaviest barrels is just four hundredths of a gram.

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrels are front weighted:

With the supplied set up the balance moves close to the centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I tried these darts first with a very front grip on the taper before the bulbous part but I felt the best grip for comfort and balance was just behind that:

Darts landed just a touch flatter than my norm:

CONCLUSION:

I think these darts are not quite the right shape for my natural front grip as I tended to be gripping on the smooth band with my usual grip and with the grip on the taper near the nose it did not sit quite right.  Having said that the darts threw quite well with both of those grips with the grip around the smooth part been the best for flight and balance with my normal style but the thing is there is no Atomic grip there so its a little wasted for me in that respect.  I think the shape of the dart seems to suit a centre and slightly rearwards grip best.  Gripping it at that position it felt most comfortable and even though its not quite my natural grip it was flying with great stability and had a nice shape to its flight, I also felt the darts seemed to draw themselves into a straight flight due to that bulbous nose as if it was pulling its weight in to steady its course. 

So I don't think these are quite right for me but I was very fond of the Atomic grip so I have since bought the other model in the range which I have not tried yet but may suit me better.

The grip is really good though, its a strange feel to it as it feels very aggressive but it was releasing nice and clean from my fingers which surprised me.

But I cant see the grip wearing so well with those thin edges, it is likely to get quite marked up but I think it should still retain its grippiness due to the way the grip is spaced out.

The new Atomic flights are nice and very stiff and strong but I felt they were not staying in the stems well enough at first.  They were kind of squeezing themselves out but after a little adjusting of the rings and pushing the flights in further it was not so bad.  The only real issue is that the Atomic grip was rubbing off the metal foil that is layered on to them, but I suspect that such a grip is going to wear any flights with contact so maybe try some of the new SuperGrip Spin stems if you want your flights to last longer with very grippy darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think centre and rear grippers who like a front weighted dart with a great grip should check these out.  May suit a few front grippers too but was just not quite right for my grip but as it still flew quite well I figure some other fronties may like them too.

But the grip is the winner on these darts for me, its rather good!

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8 (nice shape and grip looks good)
Grip: 9 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (quite close)
Quality: 8 (nice quality)
Value: 9 (very good)
Suitability for me: 6.5 (was ok but not quite there)
Best Feature: Atomic Grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for the great review and pix, Darren!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Great minds think alike! This model is the only one that i would have gotten in soft!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great review Darren! Nice looking darts- I am interested in the other model. Looking forward to your review on them. Cheers
Thanks guys, the other model is shorter but its more the fact I can settle my grip on it better Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

The smooth part would be in the wrong place for me. Fine looking darts though.
Great review as ever +1.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Great review Darren, for the first time though I dont have the I wants. Too short, too fat and not my kind of shape but apart from that they're perfect LOL
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Nice review, thanks for fulfilling another request!  Nice dart, but not sure about that smooth part either.  Would have to test drive to be sure, lol.

Pat

Match Setup: 23g Target Keith Deller
w/30mm Grooved Storm Points, Cosmo Fit Carbon Slim #3 Spin, Fit Kite Flights

Cheers Nutz! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-25-2015, 08:31 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Great review Darren, for the first time though I dont have the I wants. Too short, too fat and not my kind of shape but apart from that they're perfect LOL

Agreed, just nothing particularly exciting about them is there.
I have a set too... great review.
The grip is very unique, a very nice dart and a nice price.

Thanks Jugger, yeah great price for these Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice darts with an interesting grip and they are nicely priced as well.

Great review Darren! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Top quality review. A very nice set of darts and by today's prices for new model darts they are priced very well. I like the look of the grip and the shape of the barrel, but that smooth section is in the wrong place so I know they wouldn't be for me. Cheers again Darren
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks guys, you can have a chance of winning these in our upcoming Grand Slam comp Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review.

I'm thinking to buy one set of these.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows Damon Heta Darts Review Getagrip 11 559 02-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Harrows Oracle 23g Darts Review Getagrip 48 11,308 01-13-2021, 02:35 PM
  Harrows Supergrip Ultra Darts Review Getagrip 12 643 11-27-2020, 05:18 PM
  Harrows Swarm Darts Review Getagrip 10 824 11-27-2020, 10:58 AM
  Harrows Revere Darts Review Getagrip 10 793 11-24-2020, 06:51 PM
  Harrows Dave Chisnall Chizzy 23g darts review Getagrip 32 4,370 11-20-2020, 02:09 PM
  Harrows Noble Darts Review Getagrip 10 983 11-16-2020, 11:02 AM
  Harrows Fire Inferno Darts Review Getagrip 15 1,509 11-14-2020, 02:28 PM
  Harrows Rapide Knurled 26g Review Don Q 12 478 11-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Don Q
  Harrows Predator 23g Darts Review Getagrip 32 10,870 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM