Target Darts.

Increasing my follow through
I took this video of my throw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_TQj4tU5G4

...and, as predicted, it's not how I imagined it to be.

The thing I noticed was that my follow through could be improved - not long enough on the first dart, moving from straight over to my left hand to take the next dart.  So for my practice on Friday I concentrated on a full follow through straight at the target which I hold until the dart hits the board.  As soon as I made this change I noticed an improvement...darts were on line and hitting the target.  They were the best darts I've ever thrown I reckon.

I did A1 with this and equalled my best time of 22 minutes.  I'm normally around or about 22 minutes at the moment but it was the standard of throws that were encouraging.  The majority of my misses were within a few millimetres of the wire or in the double/treble and I was disappointed with a shot in the middle of the next bed.

It also felt like my throw, so it was an easy fix.

The remainder of my practice had a few ups and downs but even when I wasn't scoring well I was missing the 20's on the wire or in the T5 and T1 bed.  I finished the night with 3 140's in the space of about 5 minutes which, for a 50 PPT player like me, is pretty good!

Thanks to all the Nutz whose advice I've read on here over the last month or so.
I don't get why everyone is timing A1 when it's purely a technique excercise?
(10-24-2015, 11:10 PM)My mojo Wrote: I don't get why everyone is timing A1 when it's purely a technique excercise?

Personally, I time it to see if I am improving but it's a fair point.  For the first few sessions I wasn't improving in the sense of feeling I was throwing better darts so time (or rounds) was the key indicator.  Now I know when am throwing well so time is less important.  As I said here, I had my best A1 ever last time but it was still not any quicker.

One thing I make sure I do is not be a slave to the clock.  If I feel I am rushing to finish I'll go and get a drink, change flights, etc. 

Now that I'm in a place where I can feel improvements it might be a good time to to stop timing.
I call it arm swinging!

Yes the whole arm doing a well coordinated movement!
Anybody wearing the "yellow jersey" is concerned with time at one point. I'm certain that if you would change out to the points jersey "green" you would be improving your throw

Just in case some Nutz don't follow cycling the jerseys are worn in major races determining leaders in each catagory

I got to thinking about this, wearing the Yellow Jersey, maybe it would improve my game wearing similar jerseys
(10-25-2015, 01:06 AM)SlingBlade Wrote:  Anybody wearing the "yellow jersey" is  concerned with time at one point. I'm certain that if you would change out to the points jersey "green" you would be improving your throw

Just in case some Nutz don't follow cycling the jerseys are worn in major races determining leaders in each catagory

I got to thinking about this, wearing the Yellow Jersey, maybe it would improve my game wearing similar jerseys

No one will ever see me in a yellow jersey ever...... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(10-24-2015, 11:05 PM)Banz Wrote: I took this video of my throw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_TQj4tU5G4

...and, as predicted, it's not how I imagined it to be.

The thing I noticed was that my follow through could be improved - not long enough on the first dart, moving from straight over to my left hand to take the next dart.  So for my practice on Friday I concentrated on a full follow through straight at the target which I hold until the dart hits the board.  As soon as I made this change I noticed an improvement...darts were on line and hitting the target.  They were the best darts I've ever thrown I reckon.

I did A1 with this and equalled my best time of 22 minutes.  I'm normally around or about 22 minutes at the moment but it was the standard of throws that were encouraging.  The majority of my misses were within a few millimetres of the wire or in the double/treble and I was disappointed with a shot in the middle of the next bed.

It also felt like my throw, so it was an easy fix.

The remainder of my practice had a few ups and downs but even when I wasn't scoring well I was missing the 20's on the wire or in the T5 and T1 bed.  I finished the night with 3 140's in the space of about 5 minutes which, for a 50 PPT player like me, is pretty good!

Thanks to all the Nutz whose advice I've read on here over the last month or so.
Indeed your throw looks good.

You must feel comfortable in your stroke, do not think about it, just do it and learn what works..

You walk up to the Oche and bang 60----------the next dart should do the same and it will if your stroke is working just right, dart number 3 will hit as well for a 180..... However, you are human just like Phil Taylor. He will miss the 60 more than he hits it, we are all in the same school. 

So don't beat yourself, do your best and you will improve with hard work, make sure you enjoy it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(10-25-2015, 01:06 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: Anybody wearing the "yellow jersey" is concerned with time at one point. I'm certain that if you would change out to the points jersey "green" you would be improving your throw
As well as the yellow jersey I have the polka dot one. No green though.

(10-25-2015, 04:03 AM)Black Dog Wrote: You must feel comfortable in your stroke, do not think about it, just do it and learn what works..

Yeah, that's when it's working well. A good feeling.
I used to own the world champion jersey but shrunk it in the wash. Darn it anyhow.

I decided to follow advice and rather than to think of it I left my wrist out just a tad longer after the throw and my accuracy seemed to improve a bit. Good luck bud
To be honest, your throw/action looks better than many pro's I see on my computer streams every week. Klaasen, Mensur and Chisnall come to mind. Personally I think your throw is 100% fine just by looking at it in a 7 second video.

What you might be lacking is the 1000's of hours of competitive play and 1000's of hours on the oche that it takes to become a 70 or 80+ average player.

You say you're a "50 ppt player". I believe you could push that up to 53 in the next week by just learning your setup shots and being more aware of the out shots you take. That's just a guess though. You might be a human calculator for all I know. But I see it time and time again here on this forum and other dart forums. People that have NO CLUE about the finer points of 501 no matter how much video evidence or debate goes on.

Heck, I just recently changed my thinking on 67 remaining. I've always gone 17's. My entire life I've gone 17's. Recently I've changed my mind and now go 9's with 67 left. Will it win me more legs over time? It should. Big E has even made me think twice about the outshot 76. If my life (or the match) was on the line I'd probably go 16's with the 1st dart just in case of a miss high or low. Of course if I'm 150 points ahead I'd go the traditional way of 20's with the 1st dart.

Point is... your throw is great. Just spend more time practicing correctly. I'm not even sure about the timer thing. 22 minutes? Timing yourself at anything related to darts isn't something I'd recommend to anyone.
(10-25-2015, 05:30 PM)Cyanide Wrote: To be honest, your throw/action looks better than many pro's I see on my computer streams every week. Klaasen, Mensur and Chisnall come to mind. Personally I think your throw is 100% fine just by looking at it in a 7 second video.

What you might be lacking is the 1000's of hours of competitive play and 1000's of hours on the oche that it takes to become a 70 or 80+ average player.

You say you're a "50 ppt player". I believe you could push that up to 53 in the next week by just learning your setup shots and being more aware of the out shots you take. That's just a guess though. You might be a human calculator for all I know. But I see it time and time again here on this forum and other dart forums. People that have NO CLUE about the finer points of 501 no matter how much video evidence or debate goes on.

Heck, I just recently changed my thinking on 67 remaining. I've always gone 17's. My entire life I've gone 17's. Recently I've changed my mind and now go 9's with 67 left. Will it win me more legs over time? It should. Big E has even made me think twice about the outshot 76. If my life (or the match) was on the line I'd probably go 16's with the 1st dart just in case of a miss high or low. Of course if I'm 150 points ahead I'd go the traditional way of 20's with the 1st dart.

Point is... your throw is great. Just spend more time practicing correctly. I'm not even sure about the timer thing. 22 minutes? Timing yourself at anything related to darts isn't something I'd recommend to anyone.

Well that's very kind of you to say.  Since concentrating on a straight, full follow through I have started to see immediate improvements.  Shocking improvements really.  I realise this could be a honeymoon period but given that I have only changed my follow through I'm hoping that it's not. 

So what's going so well....
My A1 throwing is consistently a lot better.  Nearly all throws are now at what I consider a decent standard - hits or good misses.  I'm not timing it any more which I think I was doing as a benchmark for discussion here, as well as a guide to improvement.  

I have also started seeing improvements on my PPT according to ProDarter.  I am happy playing against the computer opponent (Trainer 4) and have been putting together some decent performances.  Yesterday I played a best of 3 legs game against T4 and won the first in 20 darts, lost the second in 24 having missed D10 for a 21 darter and then won the decider in 20 darts.   I had another 20 darter in the evening as well.  On Sunday (I think) I missed D20 for 151.

The crazy thing is that it doesn't really feel as if I have changed anything.  It just feels as if I am able to play something approaching my best darts a lot more often.  Instead of having a purple patch I can't explain that lasts a leg and a half, I can play 5 games against the computer and average 55-70 with a ton a leg and multiple 80-somethings.  I've hit more 140's since Friday than I have in the rest of the year.  But it still feels like "my" throw.

And this extra confidence is making me change my mentality about finishing.  Rather than going for a "knock the score down with 20's or 19's" I am prepared to go the right way.  This has let to a few disasters but I've also had a dart at a 151.

Apologies for babbling a bit - as you can tell, I'm pretty excited!
(10-27-2015, 02:10 AM)Banz Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 05:30 PM)Cyanide Wrote: To be honest, your throw/action looks better than many pro's I see on my computer streams every week. Klaasen, Mensur and Chisnall come to mind. Personally I think your throw is 100% fine just by looking at it in a 7 second video.

Well that's very kind of you to say.  Since concentrating on a straight, full follow through I have started to see immediate improvements.  Shocking improvements really.  I realise this could be a honeymoon period but given that I have only changed my follow through I'm hoping that it's not. 

So what's going so well....
My A1 throwing is consistently a lot better.  Nearly all throws are now at what I consider a decent standard - hits or good misses.  I'm not timing it any more which I think I was doing as a benchmark for discussion here, as well as a guide to improvement.  

I have also started seeing improvements on my PPT according to ProDarter.  I am happy playing against the computer opponent (Trainer 4) and have been putting together some decent performances.  Yesterday I played a best of 3 legs game against T4 and won the first in 20 darts, lost the second in 24 having missed D10 for a 21 darter and then won the decider in 20 darts.   I had another 20 darter in the evening as well.  On Sunday (I think) I missed D20 for 151.

The crazy thing is that it doesn't really feel as if I have changed anything.  It just feels as if I am able to play something approaching my best darts a lot more often.  Instead of having a purple patch I can't explain that lasts a leg and a half, I can play 5 games against the computer and average 55-70 with a ton a leg and multiple 80-somethings.  I've hit more 140's since Friday than I have in the rest of the year.  But it still feels like "my" throw.

And this extra confidence is making me change my mentality about finishing.  Rather than going for a "knock the score down with 20's or 19's" I am prepared to go the right way.  This has let to a few disasters but I've also had a dart at a 151.

Apologies for babbling a bit - as you can tell, I'm pretty excited!

It sounds like you've done something *very* good here. Take another video just to make sure there is a difference. That would be the icing on the cake!
(10-27-2015, 04:11 PM)BigE Wrote: It sounds like you've done something *very* good here. Take another video just to make sure there is a difference. That would be the icing on the cake!

Well here's the video of me with the increased follow through. It's still something I have to concentrate on doing and I do sometimes forget but, with practice, I reckon I can make it my "natural" throw.

https://youtu.be/Xmq3rzn14jo
Wow looks improved to me and I thought the older throw was good.

Have you ever noticed when a pro basketball shooter is at the line doing free throws how they extend their arm at the end of the throw? That's what I've been trying to do with my dart throws and it looks like you've done it pretty good.

Thanks for the video
(10-28-2015, 01:14 AM)Banz Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 04:11 PM)BigE Wrote: It sounds like you've done something *very* good here. Take another video just to make sure there is a difference. That would be the icing on the cake!

Well here's the video of me with the increased follow through.  It's still something I have to concentrate on doing and I do sometimes forget but, with practice, I reckon I can make it my "natural" throw.

https://youtu.be/Xmq3rzn14jo

Much better!  Well done.  You are right.  With board time, that will simply become smoother and more efficient.  There is no special effort needed, just time and patience. 

And really, that *is* your natural throw.  It is unnatural not to follow through!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  training darts for follow through Eso Rimmer 8 510 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Eso Rimmer
  Best way to ensure full follow thru Eddie_Arrow 9 868 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Corrosion
  working on follow through akprice 2 380 01-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: akprice
  Follow Through Xkyle813x 6 777 07-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Follow through help and tips GutshotGrant 6 804 03-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Last Post: GutshotGrant
  Follow through Roberts7286 21 4,850 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Follow Through (1 million dollar question) Aaron Chan 13 4,305 02-25-2016, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Aaron Chan
  Hands after release and follow through(NOW with pictures) Grey Owl 9 3,559 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: BigE
  I have follow through but ALWAYS end up pointing towards left of D11 Regulatori 12 2,849 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Last Post: brenthahn