Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Some tips from Rod Harington
Tongue 
I genuinely think Rod Harrington is a cocky douche, but those are nice tips about fundamentals and i personally find them very helpful, at least for my style of throw.

This was posted before and I still dont agree with the statement that you should get as close to the board as you can. Although the logic of that makes sense I think in practice its not always practical, I think its more important to be comfortable at the oche than putting your body in a position thats awkward just so you can get a few inches closer. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Don't agree with a lot Rod Harrington has to say to be honest.
Everyone is entitled to his opinion.
Staying positive is really a very good tip.  Just the other night in league play had a teammate of mine that just wouldn't stay positive.  Third and deciding leg of cricket down 22 points with 15's to score on and 17's open for the other team threw his first dart at a triple 17 (not the right way in my opinion) and hit it.  Then threw 2 at 15's and completely missed.  Opponent goes up and closes 15's.  My teammate goes up with a chance to win the game with 4 bull (which he does often), but instead of staying positive and thinking YES I got another chance and focusing down he goes up to the line saying something to the effect of I shouldn't even be in this spot if I would have shot better on the last.  Well of course he misses the bulls and loses the match! He needed to forget his last throw and be thankful he had a shot to win the game.

Stay positive!
I saw Harrington's tips a time back and tried to follow his advice getting closer to the board and it bothered my back. I was more focused on that position and it messed up my throw. I find a more natural position and concentrating on the mark to hit works best for me and of course trying to never psych myself out knowing that I have hit my marks in practice before. Positive is the way I like to play. Sure it's tough sometimes being down on points but it's the ticket to success
I think he's right about the tip of getting a bit closer to the board. He also spoke about being balanced over the front leg, which when you move your rear foot back a bit results in getting a bit closer to the board.  I'd prefer to say all weight on the front leg.  Then, the rear leg helps to balance the arm when it is at maximum fetch.

His comment about twisting the foot is also a good one, provided that you have the flexibility to do that and can stay well balanced with your foot turned.  It's that last bit about staying well balanced that is the most important part.  You *will* have an advantage if you can do what he says.  But, if you have a lot of trouble doing it , obviously, it is a disadvantage.

Bottom line:  He's right, but not everyone can do as he suggests.
We had a guy in our league that used to stretch as far as he could towards the board he was ok when he had something to brace his front foot against but at some of the venues they don't have raised oche's and that's where he struggled
he had to re position himself after every dart thrown and ended up loosing his rhythm and his consistency suffered.

so i'm with Darren on this one being comfortable is the key
(10-29-2015, 08:21 PM)dave2604 Wrote: We had a guy in our league that used to stretch as far as he could towards the board he was ok when he had something to brace his front foot against but at some of the venues they don't have raised oche's and that's where he struggled
he had to re position himself after every dart thrown and ended up loosing his rhythm and his consistency suffered.

so i'm with Darren on this one being comfortable is the key

That's a red herring.... Harington does not say to stretch as far as you can.  

He suggests you adopt a balanced stance that will get you as close to the board as you can.  His example is one where the foot is totally turned across the oche, but maybe you cannot balance well like that?  If you try doing that and can't balance, you've gone beyond having a balanced stance and getting as close as you can.
I agree with his advice, but I only really feel comfortable with my foot around 45 degrees, or maybe a little more like 60. 90 makes me feel a little off balance.

Gary Anderson keeps his foot completely straight, but his toes kinda go up the oche. I wonder how he plays where there is no oche.
everybody has his own style/position at the oche...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai