Shot Darts

In your opinion does playing Soft-tips hurt your steel tip game?
I say it can if you let it. I play soft- tips on Thursday night, recently going back to steel I was really off. My first night shooting soft-tip my game avg was 115 lol. No way in hell have I ever avg 115 in steel. So I practice steel at home to keep my steel game up and it helps my soft-tip game.
What say you guys who play both? I love playing both btw and I have high regard for the soft- tip players. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'd say it really depends on the darts you use for both. If they are very similar than it never really bothered me too much. My first few throws from switching between the 2 need to be adjusted but after about 5 min I'm usually good to go and sometimes switching to soft tip is a good idea as it makes you feel better with those massive trebles
Highest Checkout - 160
Best Leg- 13 darter
Arrows -One80 Cutlass 21g---- steel tip 
              -Modified One80 cutlass 18g--- soft tip
I keep the difference to a minimum by using the same darts for both. Using Target Phil Taylor 9Zero's now in 18 gm and just switch the points. When I do this, it makes the slightly different oche distance almost negligible. There is still some adjustment, though, but a good warm up seems to take care of it.

Of course it helps to use both boards at home. I have both set up, but am always drawn to the steel tip board. Then, when I am out at the local bars I am stuck with soft tip. Ahhh. Life in the States!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Luckily my soft tip league plays at the same oche length as steel. That helps a lot to me to avoid the differences. Then it comes down to the dart. Since I play 90% soft tip I use my soft tips for both. I use L-Style hard lippoints to avoid a shift in balance (thus affecting where I grip the dart).

I have 20 gram steel tip version of my soft tip darts (which are 18 grams). They seem to work quite well and I really like them. But I figure since I play soft more I should stick with the same darts.

The downside of our league playing at the steel length is if you go somewhere that they have the length at 8 feet, It would take a bit of adjusting. While it's only a few inches I do find it makes quite a difference in my game at least.
Maybe it is my throw, but I don't really notice the 3" difference at all. Honestly by the time Im at the bar playing darts, I don't even remember that they are at a different distance. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

The one thing that I think would bother me is going back and forth between two different sets of darts. I really only play on Dartslive boards if I am playing soft tip, so I don't need to worry about weight, but I still wanted to use light darts just in case I ended up playing on a different soft tip board. So at this point I am using 17g soft tip barrels, then throwing on a target titanium conversion when playing steel tip. Since I only play on Dartslive boards, I am thinking of going back to my 20g dragon soft tips, also with a target titanium point if I play steel. So in my opinion, it would only hurt you if you played so often you became unfamiliar with your steel tip darts.
For me, I think practice on any board helps. I think the slight distance/weight change is good and makes my body aware of subtle changes. Not all pub boards/oches are going to be equal (though I wish as much as anyone that they would), and changing distance surely helps with adaptation.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"The world's just people walking around, going into rooms and saying things." -Peep Show

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TOP 3 Darts matches of all time (in your opinion) tropicalpalmtree 10 364 02-07-2021, 09:59 PM
Last Post: tropicalpalmtree
  Handicap in steel tips? jaime_lion 10 394 04-27-2020, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Zero
  Your opinion on best players phase. B2B180 5 475 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: NiteEyez
  soft vs steel Eso Rimmer 24 1,276 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Opinion on Target Darts DAVEISTHENAME 22 1,673 09-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Last Post: GONKO
  Do you agree with the anti-analyzing opinion towards your throw? Regulatori 61 12,450 08-01-2019, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Cat
  Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing jayouloun 41 12,079 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  How to manage weight difference between steel and soft darts? Che-Min Tsai 11 921 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Throwing steel and soft *Saber* 3 405 04-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Last Post: MariusOveras
  Opinion: Are we expecting too much out of pro players? LethalEagle 0 287 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle