Cuesoul

Tune those darts!
OK.  So I am sure that this is rudimentary to many on this forum, but something I have just begun to tinker with.

For the last few months I have struggled with inconsistency.  Throw at the 20 and hit a 5.  Or worse yet, a 12.  Could just as easily be a 1.

After watching my dart flight, I noticed a distinct cork screw motion.  And, of course, I had varying angles of impact to the face of the board.  I worked hard on my release, stroke and even tried different ways of holding the darts.  None of which really improved my game.

After waiting far too long, I finally did what so many here do routinely.  I started playing with different flight and stem combinations.  I am currently throwing Target Phil Taylor 9zeros in soft and steel tip.  What I have found is that, in my case, they fly best when fitted with short stems and pear shaped flights.  Once I tried this combination (after going though probably 5 or 6 other combinations) the darts immediately straightened out and flew like, well, darts!  Another change I made was to use the hard synthetic tips for my steel board.  They are manufactured in Japan and I do not have the box with me at work and cannot recall the name (maybe L Style?).  This moved my soft tip and steel tip set ups closer in overall weight and weight distribution.

This is very sensible because, while the darts you purchase come set up a certain way from the manufacturer, they are likely not set up to fly optimally for you.  As individuals, we impart many unique influences on the dart when we throw.  The flight of the dart is impacted by multiple factors including the dart itself (length, weight, front/center/rear weighted, degree of grip, etc), the way you hold the dart, the way you release the dart, when you release the dart, the biomechanics of your stroke and your stance at the oche (which really affects your biomechanics more than being a stand alone issue).  Given these factors, it is really a small chance that the factory set up will suit every player.

With my new set up I have correct flight and much tighter groups with the flights typically touching.  I sometimes still miss my intended target, but my groups are much tighter and, as with archery or shooting sports, consistency and tight groups are the first steps to accuracy.

I am posting this in the beginners section to, hopefully, motivate my fellow newbies who have not really experimented with their set up to do so if they are having any problem with how their dart flies or are experiencing inconsistent angle to the board.  Just a few minutes of tinkering has impacted my game far more than weeks and weeks of experimentation with the other aspects of my throw.

Throw on Darts Nutz!  The journey is sometimes more interesting than the destination.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

That's an excellent advice. Most people resort to getting a new set instead of working hard in their set up combo. I suggest trying varied lengths of stems with standard set of flights before going to trying different shapes of flights.
Agree completely Majeek. I am very methodical and started with standard flights and three different lengths of stems. In my case, I saw minor improvements and they flew the best with the short stems. Then, I played with standard, pear and micro flights as these were what I had on hand. I had used the micro flights before and noticed that the flight was much flatter (as you would expect with less surface area to slow the dart down) but was still just a bit off. I happened to have a set of pear shaped flights that I received in a grab bag after ordering some darts. Put them on and Boom, straight flight.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that it is probably a very good idea to keep a log of which set up works best with which darts, especially for the "collectors" out there. I am still fairly new to this (a few months) and have already accumulated several sets.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

very wise Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Very good information here for everyone and not just beginners
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Here's one thing too.

"As you start tuning up a new set of darts" (assuming it has a different barrel length, etc.), set it up first in a manner that it is equal to the total length of your fully set up darts. The one which you already fine tuned.

Then work it out!
(10-14-2015, 02:47 PM)ranger86 Wrote: … I played with standard, pear and micro flights as these were what I had on hand.  I had used the micro flights before and noticed that the flight was much flatter (as you would expect with less surface area to slow the dart down) but was still just a bit off.  I happened to have a set of pear shaped flights that I received in a grab bag after ordering some darts.  Put them on and Boom, straight flight.

When it comes to lift and tail-up-ness, you'll probably find that kites are in between standards and pears.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Good advice...am in the middle of a "tune up" myself.
When trying out a different combination how many throws, rounds, days do you try it for to see if it is really better or worse?
For me,,,I can tell instantly ,,,,, But for me I try different combination of stuff on a daily basis,,,,
(10-14-2015, 05:10 PM)majeek Wrote: Here's one thing too.

"As you start tuning up a new set of darts" (assuming it has a different barrel length, etc.), set it up first in a manner that it is equal to the total length of your fully set up darts. The one which you already fine tuned.

Then work it out!

I find this to be totally true for myself,,, and just recently I have been asked to look/watch/observe by the top player in my league to see if I can help him up his game,,,, He took a set of Unicorn Phase 5 Slik Stik shafts and tried them left that night with them ,,, with a big smile on his face,,,,,
Plenty to think about in this thread, small changes at any time I think. Stem length or flight shape one at a time not all at once. maybe set up different length stems with the same flights or different flight shapes with the same stem length?
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, black 36 mm Mission points points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(10-25-2015, 04:43 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: … maybe set up different length stems with the same flights or different flight shapes with the same stem length?

For me it's like the eye doctor.  Two darts in my hand, one difference between them (either stem or flight).  Throw them both.  Which is better, A or B?  And so on.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

I have found that short stems with regular flights work well for me.
It really is amazing how one small change can help your whole game. I recently just switched to teardrop flights and it has helped my throw tremendously. I have always used standards, and every once in a while I would have some throws with a little corkscrew action. With the teardrops my throw finally goes perfectly straight. Never to late to find something new in this game.
Matchdarts- 23.3g Ks99dime Madhouse Falcon Customs, 41mm diamond points, tweenie supergrip stems, Harrows Velos flights.
Backups- 23g Shot! Birds of Prey Falcon
25g Harrows Aura a3
24g Target Power 8Zero
23g Ks99dime Madhouse Customs
23g Adrian Lewis Pixel Grip
23g Target Daytona Fire 02
23g Dennis Priestley's
22g Cuesoul Black Scorpions
22g winmau snipers
21g Ks99dime Custom
21g Harrows Wolframs
21g Harrows Atomics