Unicorn

Metronome?
Last night I decided to video my throwing action. I was not pleased with what I saw. What I thought was a fairly smooth action is about as snatchy as it could be!
So I watched a few videos of the pros and re-modelled. The main difference with my new action is a slower pull back. However, getting a consistent rhythm is tricky.
So I thought, why not use a metronome?
I downloaded an app and gave it a go and I reckon there might be some mileage in it for getting a consistent speed on pull back and throw.
Any thoughts?

Old throw
https://youtu.be/JCX2d0RQXcc

New Throw
https://youtu.be/G4akshfN-ZU

I think I remember reading before that some people have used it and I can see a big difference in your new throw there.

What I used to do was count in my head and each position of my throw and release was a set number and that helped me a lot, it was doing that which helped me get 3 darts in the bullseye, I stopped doing it after I injured my shoulder only because my throw had changed and it has been basically a struggle since then to get a throw that I felt comfortable with but I am seeing some progress now and I am trying to get a consistent action again so this may be something I employ soon Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

+1 for your post Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"Two men enter, one man leaves!" Oh wait, that's Thunder Dome. My Bad!!!

All stupidity aside, it sounds like a pretty good idea for keeping your rhythm when throwing.
That's too much "stuff" or baggage in your head. So what happens with that thing is in your mind under actual game?

That metronome will tick loud like a timer on a bomb. Better stick to your natural body timer which is- your proper breathing!
(10-09-2015, 02:30 PM)majeek Wrote: That's too much "stuff" or baggage in your head. So what happens with that thing is in your mind under actual game?

That metronome will tick loud like a timer on a bomb. Better stick to your natural body timer which is- your proper breathing!

I know what you mean, my checklist of things to get think about when throwing is already too long.
Hopefully practice will start to embed some of them so that they can become second nature. Then I can concentrate on just 1 or 2 things when I am throwing.
I'll use the metronome to try and ingrain the tempo and then switch it off. From time to time I will be able to switch it on again to make sure I am not rushing my throw.

I think it will take some planning though as you need a few demarcation points in your throw, i.e aiming on two clicks etc. OMP how did you do it?

Practise is not play so I don't think there is a downside here.
(10-09-2015, 02:52 PM)skinnygav Wrote: it's a great idea - might give it a go.

I think it will take some planning though as you need a few demarcation points in your throw, i.e aiming on two clicks etc. OMP how did you do it?

To be honest, I haven't nailed it down yet as I only tried it for a short while last night and spent most of the time trying different speeds.
For a simple backwards and forwards action I would use the 1st click to start the pull back and the 2nd click to start the forward motion of the throw.
If you need more demarcation points, you might be better off ditching the metronome and using some sort of drum beat app where you could set to the rhythm you require and set it on a loop.

Keep on aRockin',,,,
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think its ok while your practising the mechanics of your stroke/technique but obviously there is a point where you will have to discard it and go by the feel of the technique alone to get it right as opposed to the audible/visual cues from external devices etc
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Okay so you intend to practice with it then get used to its purpose. It becomes part of your playing system. Dependency is subconsciously created.

My point is - during actual game where that metronome wouldn't be around, it creates a vacuum in your mind. Its absence might result to the lack of self confidence.

Sense of self rhythm. You should establish that without any instrument within yourself during practice.

Stress makes you throw faster than your normal because it goes by the ticking of your heartbeat.
Mess with him and set it for 4/4 time then change it to 8/4. He'll go from Justin Pipe to MVG and be totally confused.
Lol,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I really like that idea. Align the shot and throw on the click. I'd think one chunk from pullback to push. If it works nicely, repeat on the beat!
(10-09-2015, 05:06 PM)majeek Wrote: Okay so you intend to practice with it then get used to its purpose. It becomes part of your playing system. Dependency is subconsciously created.

My point is - during actual game where that metronome wouldn't be around, it creates a vacuum in your mind. Its absence might result to the lack of self confidence.

Sense of self rhythm. You should establish that without any instrument within yourself during practice.

Stress makes you throw faster than your normal because it goes by the ticking of your heartbeat.

Well you could say something to yourself, whether its out loud or in your head, on beat with the metronome as you practice.

Adrian Lewis says "back and forth," so for him he would say "back" on one click and "forth" on the next click. That way, when the metronome is gone, you can accomplish the same thing by telling yourself "back and forth."

As long as you set the speed for your specific throw, it actually sounds like a really good idea. I'm guessing better players don't have the same problem, but there are times where I catch my rhythm changing throughout a night of darts. This should help fix that.

edit: I don't know about your throw being dependent on your heartbeat, Majeek. So when you are nervous and your heart rate almost doubles, you throw twice as fast?
It's probably a more subtle effect.

Maybe if you throw at a rate of 1 dart every three seconds, at double your heart rate it may be 1 dart ever 2.5 seconds, at 1.5x your heart rate, maybe 1 dart ever 2.75 seconds..... So, your throw rate does vary with your heart rate, just not 1-1.

In my opinion, this excitement is probably going to cause more trouble with having a "quiet eye" on the target than the stroke rhythm, as it will decrease the amount of time spent with the quiet eye on the target. The longer the duration your eye spends locked on target and unmoving, the better your results are supposed to be.

This has been studied for putting in golf. I imagine it would apply to all aiming games.