Harrows Darts.

Warm up
The Warm Up
One of the many areas of practice that is normally overlooked is the actual warm-up. In any given practice session if you have less than 30 minutes then DO NOT practice. It takes an absolute minimum of 15-20 minutes just to warm up and any ‘practice’ you try and do will be a waste of time.
Think of any other sport - In Golf the players warm up with stretches and hit soft shots for a good 30 minutes before they move on to actual practice. In Tennis again a very similar thing, and they even warm up on court prior to a game. In Football the players jog and stretch and pass the ball long before they try hitting any shots or tackles.
Darts is the same. You need to spend at least 15-20 minutes just throwing at the board loosening the arm, you don’t need to time yourself but I like to throw for 10 minutes without caring where the darts goes, then 10 more minutes randomly throwing, so say at 20, then 6, then 5, then 11 etc.. this loosens up the eyes as bit as well ( yes really ).
After 20 or so minutes, and this will seem quite a while ( don’t be tempted to start throwing at t20 because you are bored ) then you are now ready to start your ‘actual’ practice routine. Many routines will be discussed in later weeks.
The first question I ask when I am coaching is how long every day/week do you have to practice?
If the answer is less than 15 minutes a day then it is a waste of time, at this stage I would say, can you not save up all the 15 minutes and do an hour every 4 days? This would be far more beneficial.
You may be thinking that YOU are the player that doesn’t really need practice - nonsense.
You may say that you don’t have time to warm up - ok then unfortunately your darts is not going to improve much.
You will find by warming up at EVERY practise session and of course matches, then you will have only good practise sessions and very few bad ones.
Darts is a sport and you need to be loose when you are playing, I hear many players saying they hate going on first. This is because they never play well and blame other things like ‘I haven’t had enough beer’ Beer is a relaxant and is basically doing the job you could quite easily do yourself by warming up for a good while before your game.
So try it, warm up for a good 20 minutes before your next session, you will see a vast improvement in your game in the long run !

Citation- Perfect Darts
Very true. I like to get to league nights at least half hour before start time. The bonus of getting there early is a car park near the door. lol

But I loosen up throwing at bulls. Then onto 20's, 19's, 18's. Then I do 1 dart at d16, d8 and d4. Do that 5 or 6 walks. Next is d20, d10, and d5 for 5 or 6 walks. Next will be my trips for pegging out, t15, t10, t13, t14.

I am usually ready to rock after that.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

League High Peg Outs: Monday 160, Tuesday 170, Thursday 170, Friday 160
yip, me too. like to be there atleast 30 min to an hour early. i loosen up by throwing at bulls only (10 - 15min). gets my eye in for the aim and warms / loosens up the arm. thats me all set to go.
https://youtu.be/UAFnQoN2s8w  you only see my hands Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.pinterest.com/claudinetrvds/darts/
its strange though as sometimes I throw better from the first dart then often get worse lol

I often hit a T20 with my very first dart though, maybe as I warm up my hypermobile joints get too loose?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I like getting to venue at least an hour before matches. I throw at board for at least 10 min not caring what I hit - after 10 min then I will throw for doubles 20,10,5,16,8,4,2,1 then bulls then triple 20's,19,18,17,16,15 finally at all the single numbers. - while doing this am sucking down diet coke and rum . :dartsthrow:
that diet coke will make all the difference!Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.:lol2:

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

yeah its hard to drink but the Rum helps Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Why diet coke saber?
calories - only 60 with diet - 220 with regular coke
Has a fair bit of harmful sweeteners in it though. It took three triesand possibly a few bribes for the fda to approve the sweetener in diet coke. Also proven to cause cancer. Sugar is only natural
artificial sweeteners may not be good for you that is true. However it would take an enormous amount to possibly cause cancer. Moderation is the key to most food and drink. The FDA has also established an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for each artificial sweetener. This is the maximum amount considered safe to consume each day over the course of your lifetime. ADIs are intended to be about 100 times less than the smallest amount that might cause health concerns. according to the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities, even for pregnant women. Diabetes. Artificial sweeteners may be a good alternative to sugar if you have diabetes. Unlike sugar, artificial sweeteners generally don't raise blood sugar levels because they are not carbohydrates. But because of concerns about how sugar substitutes are labeled and categorized, always check with your doctor or dietitian about using any sugar substitutes if you have diabetes.
So you see there's argument for sweeteners IMO.
well my dads a diabetic and he takes saccahrin. But when he has anything with aspartame in, it makes him feel ill.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I agree Sabor.....I throw at the board not caring where the dart goes for about ten mins.....bull for 5 mins....tops,16,10 etc for doubles, and than I slow it down and hit the twenty!!! Good idea for new Darters!!! Cheers!!
(06-20-2013, 09:38 PM)*Saber* Wrote: The Warm Up
One of the many areas of practice that is normally overlooked is the actual warm-up. In any given practice session if you have less than 30 minutes then DO NOT practice. It takes an absolute minimum of 15-20 minutes just to warm up and any ‘practice’ you try and do will be a waste of time.
Think of any other sport - In Golf the players warm up with stretches and hit soft shots for a good 30 minutes before they move on to actual practice. In Tennis again a very similar thing, and they even warm up on court prior to a game. In Football the players jog and stretch and pass the ball long before they try hitting any shots or tackles.
Darts is the same. You need to spend at least 15-20 minutes just throwing at the board loosening the arm, you don’t need to time yourself but I like to throw for 10 minutes without caring where the darts goes, then 10 more minutes randomly throwing, so say at 20, then 6, then 5, then 11 etc.. this loosens up the eyes as bit as well ( yes really ).
After 20 or so minutes, and this will seem quite a while ( don’t be tempted to start throwing at t20 because you are bored ) then you are now ready to start your ‘actual’ practice routine. Many routines will be discussed in later weeks.
The first question I ask when I am coaching is how long every day/week do you have to practice?
If the answer is less than 15 minutes a day then it is a waste of time, at this stage I would say, can you not save up all the 15 minutes and do an hour every 4 days? This would be far more beneficial.
You may be thinking that YOU are the player that doesn’t really need practice - nonsense.
You may say that you don’t have time to warm up - ok then unfortunately your darts is not going to improve much.
You will find by warming up at EVERY practise session and of course matches, then you will have only good practise sessions and very few bad ones.
Darts is a sport and you need to be loose when you are playing, I hear many players saying they hate going on first. This is because they never play well and blame other things like ‘I haven’t had enough beer’ Beer is a relaxant and is basically doing the job you could quite easily do yourself by warming up for a good while before your game.
So try it, warm up for a good 20 minutes before your next session, you will see a vast improvement in your game in the long run !

Citation- Perfect Darts

thanks saber, I have never really thought about it like that but I can see it when I do play. I don't seem to really be throwing my best until after the first half hour. when you put It like that it really makes a lot more sense.
A couple high abv beers or shots... then about 21 darts at double 20... then work around from there at key triples and doubles... usually not the same ones... so I'll do d18... d16... d10 with my3 darts. I just keep moving around to find my feel.