Target Darts.

Fingertips or Fingerpads
I have a fairly straightforward grip. My ring finger rest at the junction of the barrel and point and my middle and index finger are on the barrel with my thumb on the barrel at the same level as my index finger.
I recently made a change from holding the dart with the pads of my fingers to nearer to my fingertips. I thought it might feel a bit weird but it seemed to give me more feel for the dart and if anything, better accuracy.
Whereabouts on the finger to people tend to hold their dart? Is quite near the fingertips normal?
I'm a tips-gripper. Early on, a couple guys told my I was doing it wrong, that I should be using the pads. And there's at least one or two dart books that say that, too. But my hand and arm just aren't built that way. Sitting here with no darts available right now, I can put the tips of my thumb, index and middle fingers together and it's very comfortable. But if I put the pads together, there's a strain on the muscles running down the inside of my forearm that's very noticeable. If my thumb was a bit longer, it'd probably feel fine.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

I think I am a bit of both but I tend to think for me personally I have a grip that has more things to go wrong on release if it is not co-ordinated right and I think been on the tips is one of my problems.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I had the same concern going with tips. I was worried it would make the grip less solid and therefore less consistent. However at the moment it's working better than the pads
its a bit of a balancing act (excuse the pun) between having enough contact on the barrel to be able to control it and yet at the same time having a clean release. In an ideal situation the less contact the better but then it can become less comfortable to hold and less control, I try Taylors style of grip sometimes and it is very loose and lacking in control for me yet it obviously works brilliant for him.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
When I first grab the dart I hold it more with the pads, but as part of my throwing motion I roll the dart more up onto the tips before release. This is my throw and it feels comfortable so it is what I practice and try to hone. You do what is comfortable and what works for you and just practice practice practice to be as good as you can
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I noticed last night that I was holding my slimmer Steve Browns more towards the fingertip and the very slightly thicker Puma Kings a bit more towards the pad. I guess each dart will affect your grip slightly differently.
I've got some Target Precision Voyagers arriving today. I'll have to see how I hold them!