Harrows Darts.

walking too soon on last dart.
Hi guys, I have a question about my throw. Every Friday I play my mate at a first to 7 legs match. Every week, more often than not my mate will point out that I am walking too soon on my last dart. He says I set of walking before my dart leaves my hand.

Do you think is effecting my scoring and making me lose points?

Also, have you any tips to stop me from doing it?

Would like to hear your opinions.

P.S I only seem to do it in matches and not when practising.
Started playing Oct 20 Progress14
Darts use James Wade Phase 2
First year 180s- 26
This Years Target- 50     Progress-7
Highest Checkout- 149 (practice)  124 (match)
Best leg- 10 (practice) 15 (match)

FOLLOW MY TWITTER- @ThomasEd180
Relax
Yep,,,i am guilty of the same ,,,
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It is something that you definitely should eliminate from your throw. Make sure your off hand stays still, and keep you stance solid through the last throw. Watch it hit the board if you have to.

It is very similar to suggesting a golfer watch the blade of grass just behind the ball when swinging the club. This forces you to ignore where the ball is going and helps stay down through the ball.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
yeah its not good, try to eliminate it, you could try counting to 3 after your throw and say to yourself I cant walk until I reach "3" Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks guys for your help
Started playing Oct 20 Progress14
Darts use James Wade Phase 2
First year 180s- 26
This Years Target- 50     Progress-7
Highest Checkout- 149 (practice)  124 (match)
Best leg- 10 (practice) 15 (match)

FOLLOW MY TWITTER- @ThomasEd180
agree that you should definitely try to stop this from happening. Sounds like it could be a newvous thing if it only occurs in matches. Try to keep yourself calm, don't get anxious, throw each dart the same and wait for the dart to land. I like to toal my score in my head before I set off up the oche - it helps my counting and also keeps me rooted to the oche
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

it's always annoyed me a little to be honest. I felt like the player is gaining an advantage by being part way down the oche before releasing. Thinking about it though it's probably a disadvantage.
In my case it is when I throw 2 darts then rush the last dart and lift my back foot as I release with my weight going forward,,,,,not unlike Stephen Bunting rushing his 3rd dart,,,,,,I am also guilty of having 3 darts to win and throw a dart and just know it is in,,,and my weight be out of balance and take that first step only to realize ,,,I missed,,,,,

I played against a fellow last night that would actually have his whole body in front of the line before his release trying to hold his foot off the ground then throw his last dart,,,many times his foot would touch first,,,,,,
I had a guy once do it on every dart not just the last one. Several times I would have sworn that his balance foot was in front of the line and planted on the ground before the dart left his hand. Annoyed me to no end that it was every dart.

To stop it on the third dart I like to watch were the dart lands before I move. I try and do this for all my darts. Throw, follow through, and hold until I see and if possible hear the thunk in the board. And only then will I move to grab my second\third dart or to walk to the board.
its a bad habit i used to have, solved it by counting to 2 before i dropped my arm or moved at all, it fixed the habit
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
I've seen people locally that have actually carried a 4th dart (or even a pencil) in their off-hand, so that they don't have an empty hand while throwing that last dart.

I suppose that at a subconscious level, the feeling of another dart in your hand could make the third dart feel more like the first or second one and therefore you would keep your body more still?
(10-12-2015, 11:13 PM)JohnK Wrote: I've seen people locally that have actually carried a 4th dart (or even a pencil) in their off-hand, so that they don't have an empty hand while throwing that last dart.

I suppose that at a subconscious level, the feeling of another dart in your hand could make the third dart feel more like the first or second one and therefore you would keep your body more still?

Yes, they can more easily hold the hand in the same position as the first two darts.  If you move the hand from the normal position you might also allow the body to move on the third dart, spoiling the throw.