Shot Darts

DPC Extreme Performance vs Gun Metal
DPC 23g Extreme Performance Review and Comparison with Gun Metal Elite

This is my review of the new 23g Extreme Performance darts from the Darts Performance Centre and a comparison against the Gun Metal Elite darts of which they are a modification. I will be reviewing the 23g version of each, but they also come in 25g. I received the Extreme dart from the DPC to do some initial testing and a review for them so the version I have is an initial version with no DPC branding on the barrel.
They are 90% tungsten with the Extreme in plain tungsten and the Gun Metal coming with a gun metal grey finish. They come in a slim-line package with a hard plastic case, point protector, 3 shafts and 3 flights. I have changed out the standard points for 30mm grooved black storm points on each set and added my preferred setup of medium black pro grips shafts and standard black 100 micron V180 flights.
Here are some pics of the darts:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Both darts taper down to meet the storm point with a smooth transition. The main section of the dart has a ring grip covered with a very nice micro grip. In the main section there is a scallop which is ever so slightly farther back on the Extreme dart. The dart ends with a smooth section of tungsten that tapers down to meet with the shaft. The tapered nose on each barrel is slightly different. The Gun Metal is a smooth taper covered with the micro grip pattern all along it to add a very nice level of grip for control. Whereas the Extreme dart has a number of rings cut into the taper with a wide / thin ring grip pattern.

The Extreme dart is very slightly longer than the Gun Metal, but very slightly thinner at the fattest bit and in the scallop:

The barrels where pretty well matched given that both sets have been used and I have changed the points on both sets. My scales are also quite old so that could have an impact on their accuracy!

The balance point of both darts is ever so slightly front of centre, most likely a consequence of the scallop. With my preferred setup the balance point moves back to the middle of the barrel.

My grip with both sets of darts is the same. I grip the Gun Metal on the front taper on that very nice micro grip and I grip the Extreme dart on the new grip section that has been added to the front section of that dart.

The darts land in the board the same and in my usual very flat way. I like this as it allows to place darts over as well as under other darts in the board.

In conclusion I first have to say that I love both darts. The Gun Metal darts have been my dart of choice for the last 18-24 months. My only slight annoyance with them was that because I grip them right on the front taper is I find that after 3-4 months the grip is gone and I need a new set, whereas the grip in the scallop is as good as the day they were bought! Therefore, anyone that grips the dart from the middle to the rear u would suggest that three darts would last an extremely long time before the grip would wear.
I have been looking for a dart with a very similar profile to the Gun Metal darts, but with a longer lasting front grip just to give me that peace of mind that the dart isn't going to slip as it gets older. I have tried a few different sets, but none have suited me or felt as good. Therefore, when I received the Extreme darts, to say I was "extreme"-lay excited would be an understatement!! The grip at the front of these is about the same grip level as the micro grip, but it should last a bit longer with the wider rings. I have been using these now for around a week and a half and am starting to really get to grips with them. I haven't fully decided if they will replace my Gun Metals as my match darts, but I am going to give them another few weeks and then make my mind up!
As with all DPC darts, the darts are balanced perfectly and have a very true flight. I would undoubtedly recommend any of their darts.

Summary ratings for both darts:
Looks: 8
Grip: 7
Weight match: 8
Quality: 9
Value: 9
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Great review mate
may all the doubles be with you

nice review
extreme look interesting +1 mate
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

This makes me shopping again i think Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
may all the doubles be with you

+1 I likey your review
+1 from me too. I wanted to pm you to do a comparison of the 2 darts, but it seems you beat me to it. Very nice work, the only problem is that I am still in a dilemma as to whcih set will suit me better.
great review bud +1. I hope they make a straight barrel extreme in 21g.
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
Nice review! I see a quite some similarities with the Target Dellers.
Excellent review Barry and great comparison too. Its great you have found the darts for you too!

The grip on the Extreme looks great for front grippers, very nice Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

+1
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks everyone. First time doing such a review so glad it's gone down well!

I do like the grip on the front of the Extreme's so going to put in a good few hours with them this week to get more used to them and see how it holds up.

(09-13-2015, 07:01 PM)Titan Wrote: great review bud +1. I hope they make a straight barrel extreme in 21g.

Yes I would like if they did that too although the gun metals are only 23g and 25g so not sure if they will
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

+1 bud, keep them coming!

Darts: Peter Wright Mamba 22g
Highest Checkout: 170
Highest Match Checkout: 150
Best Dart Leg: 11 darts
Best Match Leg: 13 darts
Cheers CB - I will have to set some time aside and do another one

+1 Nice review, ordered a set of Gun Metal 25g w/smooth black Storms.

Match Setup: [font=Arial]23g Target Keith Deller
[/font]w/30mm Grooved Storm Points, Cosmo Fit Carbon Slim #3 Spin, Fit Kite Flights

Thanks repat - they are a smashing dart, you won't be disappointed

Great reviews on both darts mate, keep posting new stuff here Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
DartBoard at home: Winmau Blade 4, Gladiator III One 80
DartBoard at club  : Winmau Blade 5 / DC /

Best checkout - 151
Best dart leg   -  18 darts

Darts used: 23g - Target Distinction Orion Pixel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Performance Dart Relentless The Jester 8 1,062 10-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Mailman Barry
  DPC 50/50 Performance Darts 22g review Cateye 15 1,817 05-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF
  DPC Optimum Performance 22g Darts Review ElusiveDouble85 19 5,938 04-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Last Post: southpaw_8585
  Darts Performance Centre/Performance Darts reviewed darts index mc1958 7 3,868 03-15-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  DPC Extreme Performance darts 23g review Zaza 20 4,176 01-23-2019, 05:52 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Designa Extreme 723 / 717 25g darts review Cateye 6 2,636 12-14-2018, 01:55 AM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  DPC EXTREME Performance, 18G, 90% Tungsten Soft Tip Darts Review Ehudakineyah 6 1,436 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Ehudakineyah
  Target Sport 90 Extreme 26g darts review Getagrip 21 17,167 03-31-2018, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Darts Performance Centre Review Big Gun 0 6,283 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Big Gun