Unicorn

Best Nylon/plastic Stems?
Hi there

Just wondering what people's opinions were on the best nylon/plastic stems? I use Target Pro Grips and they're great, but the rings on them are absolutely useless, they break within minutes on me throwing with them.

I also hate aluminium stems, they're just terrible IMO

I've heard mixed stuff about unicorn Grippers and Harrows Supergrip, so any recommendations? Should I try the unicorns and harrows?

Thanks
Match Darts - 22g Red Dragon "Mamba" Peter Wright Darts

Darts Owned
24g Red Dragon "Snakebite" Peter Wright Darts
21g Masterdarts MVG Darts
22g Target "Chizzy" Pixel Grip
25g Unicorn Gary Anderson Phase 3

High Finish - 170
I use Red Dragon ringed nylon stems in most of my darts, cheap to buy and very durable
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, black 36 mm Mission points points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Target Pro Grips are fine, but plain old Deflectagrip nylon shafts work as well at about 1/3 the cost
Buy the titanium rings for the Pro Grips, of you like them, and that should solve that.
Personally I punch the flights so nearly all the nylon stems work well for me.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

El cheapos. Never had one break on me. Ive used two sets of pro grip vision in my time, both snapped the prongs off one stem in about 20 minutes.

Stick with deflectagrip/tommys cheap old nylons. Snow white being my favourite colour.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
I tried pro grips and super grips for the first time a couple weeks back...I really liked the super grip to start with...no flights popping off BUT I had an unusual amount of Robin Hoods (3 in a weekend) and you're correct re the rings on the pro grips not sure why they would bother even supplying them.

I'm not sure if its frowned upon to ask a question off another persons thread but JC's comment sparked this thought.
I've never used a flight punch before does that help against Robin hoods?
Darts - Showtime Revolution 24g, Target Super grip stems, Pentathlon Flights.
Best leg - 16 darts (15 darts- webcam)
Best peg - 146 T20,T18,D16

laro shafts and pro grips Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
Best quality - pro grip

Best value for money and performance - deflectagrip/ cheapest nylons available
(09-11-2015, 11:18 AM)Yesmmm Wrote: I tried pro grips and super grips for the first time a couple weeks back...I really liked the super grip to start with...no flights popping off BUT I had an unusual amount of Robin Hoods (3 in a weekend) and you're correct re the rings on the pro grips not sure why they would bother even supplying them.

I'm not sure if its frowned upon to ask a question off another persons thread but JC's comment sparked this thought.
I've never used a flight punch before does that help against Robin hoods?

No it will not prevent robin hoods but they do no real damage (except if the point lodges in the flight) provided you are using a decent spring or a titanium slot ring. A normal slot ring will be bent out of shape if the point goes in between the stem and ring.
The whizlock punch and cap system would be the one for that.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

Thanks guys

JC can you use the titanium rings without punching the flight?
Match Darts - 22g Red Dragon "Mamba" Peter Wright Darts

Darts Owned
24g Red Dragon "Snakebite" Peter Wright Darts
21g Masterdarts MVG Darts
22g Target "Chizzy" Pixel Grip
25g Unicorn Gary Anderson Phase 3

High Finish - 170
Used to like the Pro Grips but found the last couple of batches to be made of a more brittle plastic and I once broke two stems with one throw. (Was using the Pro Grip rings at the time and threw a Robin Hood. The dart in the board had two prongs snapped, the flight popped off the penetrating dart and it then fell to the floor in just the right position to break its stem off at the barrel.)

Since then I have been using Deflectagrips. They are made of the same soft type nylon that the Pro Grips used to be made from. Cheap as chips and tough as nails. I now punch my flights and use titanium slot lock rings. I have never broken one of these shafts, not even a single prong on one. They seem to laugh at Robin Hoods.
(09-11-2015, 12:29 PM)Billyscarfe Wrote: Thanks guys

The normal titanium rings are an alternative to the rings supplied with the pro grip stems. These would not work well with a flight punch. This is them:
https://www.madhousedarts.co.uk/shafts-s...darts.html

The slot rings are wider and suited to punched flights:
https://www.madhousedarts.co.uk/accessor...darts.html

Yes, but check that the ring will go down to the the tiny shoulder on the stem ( without the flight) if it doesn't(I've had some that don't) the flight won't push fully to the bottom of the slots, you can always use the standard spring on Pro or Super Grips
(09-11-2015, 12:47 PM)Little al Wrote:

Yes, but check that the ring will go down to the the tiny shoulder on the stem ( without the flight) if it doesn't(I've had some that don't) the flight won't push fully to the bottom of the slots, you can always use the standard spring on Pro or Super Grips

You can, per se, but it's rather pointless really, when you can just punch a Slot and gain so much more Benefits from doing this...

It will make your Set up indestructible...
Ha ha ha, great thread. Which is better, poop soup or poop sandwich? Just kidding, I actually like poop sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R2uh0J9w44
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I hate metal stems and like nylon *Saber* 311 68,355 10-01-2020, 07:46 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  SLIM Plastic/Nylon/Hybrid shafta Ancient Darter 0 318 12-16-2019, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Unicorn shafts...nylon/polycarb Baloos 5 606 05-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Looking for Metallic Coated Nylon Stems Ancient Darter 10 3,543 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Ed180
  Purple Nylon Stems/Gripper 2 thurgood107 8 618 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Little al
  Puredarts Deflectagrip Nylon Jakke 2 749 08-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Jakke
  Nylon shafts Blanton 19 3,366 03-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Oldsalt
  Nylon stem removal thurgood107 14 1,896 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Gotanypop
  Archers Vice Grip nylon stems from Pure. Great White North 19 3,706 11-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Need Recommendations - SLIM Nylon or Plastic Shafts Ancient Darter 15 3,978 09-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180