Target Darts.

Thoughts on the Target Elysian
OK, let's start with the elephant in the room. These darts cost £275 and that is a ridiculous amount of money for a set of darts. Absolutely ridiculous. 99.9% of darts players would find it ridiculous that someone would pay £275 for a set of darts, and they're absolutely right.

But guess what, there is a certain 0.1%, mainly consisting of weird-looking fat or spotty enthusiasts and collectors, for whom the thought of such stupidly priced darts is part of the attraction - it's all about exclusivity, and completeness, and having something rare, that others might not have. Are the darts worth £275? Of course not, the thing which carries the value is this:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I'm a great believer in the Free Market economy. If Target are stupid, these won't sell, and they'll be left with egg on their face when they knock them down to half price to shift them. If Target are greedy they'd make too many - a Limited Edition of 500 or 1000 would give them much bigger returns, but runs the risk of losing that rarity. As it stands, anecdotally, they'v sold pretty much all of them on pre-order. That tells me they've got it just about right.

So yes, they're ridiculously expensive, and no, you can't see how anybody in the right mind would pay that for a set of darts. But guess what, they're not being marketed at you. Darts is a working man's game and always has been cheap to take up. Guess what, it still is. Can we move on, now? Great, thanks.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

According to Target, these are the culmination of years of vision, and is the product of huge innovation and charismatic thinking. Well, as you can see, they have a pointy bit at one end, and a flighty bit at the other, so we'll all agree that was time well spent.

All joking aside, these are not going to be to everyone's taste. The move towards multi-colour, multi-grip and unusually shaped darts is clearly designed to appeal to the emerging markets in the Far East more than the Wednesday night team at the Lamb and Flag, but it has to be said these are pretty darts. The lines are clean, the colours bold, and the machining of the grips is incredibly precise. Coupled with the new pixel-grip shafts, which themselves are about £15 a pop, and the understated Elysian Flights, they look the part.

The grip is excellent. When Target brought out the Pixel Grip a few years back, I was impressed at the way it didn't feel too sharp/abrasive in the hand, but never slipped. These if anything are even better, with the feel being similar to a 'ghost grip' but absolutely no slippage, giving real confidence in the throw.

In terms of balance, I have no idea what that means, so lets just say it's really good, and balances where the centre of gravity is, which is just as Isaac Newton predicted. They do seem very stable in flight, however, which is what I generally find from bullet/bomb shaped darts generally. They also seemed to fly perfectly in the factory set-up, which is unusual. I've now had about half an hour on the board with them, and whilst I have yet to christen them with a maximum, I've hit more trebles than is customary, and come pretty close on a few occasions:

THE PACKAGE
Here's where Target have come into their own, and really understood the market. The darts come in a very swanky presentation box, numbered to confirm authenticity, and packed with extras again exclusive to the package - A really nice full case, along with a smaller wallet-style case inside, three sets of shafts, three sets of flights, and a lovely pin-badge. You know, to go with all my other pin-badges.

Unfortunately, the box is so integral, partly because, I fear, that's where the darts will spend most of their time. The collector in general doesn't want to run the risk of chipping the coating, or bending a tine on the shaft, so regardless of what was spent on them, for the most part these darts will render the time spent in design and production largely wasted. Sorry Target, but it's true. Most people who have bought these have no intention of throwing them beyond a quick once over to say they've been chucked, after which they'll only see the light of day when someone wants to line them up next to their 'cocked hand' Bristows and the original Lowes with the funny grips.

There has even been suggestions that these represent a good 'appreciating investment' which can be sold on later for a hefty profit. Sorry, but if you're using a set of darts as an investment, you're an idiot. At the end of the day, darts are for throwing, and I'm not going to insult all the thought, care, and most of all marketing know-how that went into these.

So I'm taking a stand. I'm going to throw these until all the coating has worn off, and the points are blunt and they look like any old set from the back of the cupboard. Because that's what real exclusivity is about - there'll only ever be 200 of these made, and 190 odd will be pristine in a few years time, in a slightly dusty box, maybe with a bit of spunk on. Mine won't, except for the spunk maybe. Number 59 will be properly unique, and I'm happy to pay £275 for that.

Excellent review - may they fly true for you until they lose all their coating Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
£10 or beat up 22g cullens ?
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

(09-09-2015, 06:59 PM)Spartan Wrote: £10 or beat up 22g cullens ?

haha, nice one Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
nice review tho Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

Got to be honest and admit that it's my pals review of them. It amused me greatly and wanted to share. £50 is my limit for a set of darts
LOL your opening is much the same as I say at the start of my video review. I am holding out posting it as I may have a chance to throw a different set yet, some kind member on here but will see.

I think your brave for buying them to use though but having said that how will you ever know unless you throw them. If I was in a mind to buy them to play with though I would not, because of the price and the fact that once they are throw and marked they have lost a lot of their value straight away. Its very tough to resist but I must as I only bought them to collect Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But I am just not sure about the grip as a whole, it does feel quite nice but I am not wholly sure it does enough to justify its machine time really, its hard to explain what I mean but I kind of like it but it does not make me feel like its that amazing. No denying the darts look great though and the whole package is sweet Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

+1 for sharing your thoughts, the review and actually using them!

I'm not sure I really like the look of them though.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

throw the hell out of them
it's your money and darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
not my cup of tea
would not give$ 100 for a set
would like a set for free,
could see these being worth 1,000,000 $ in 150 years
side note: the new phil taylor's gen 683 will cost 1,000,001 $ Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
launch date 2165 (saw it on facebook )
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

Those things are sweet looking.

But I gotta say, if exclusivity is what you (or your friend) are after, why not just have some customs made. Then its 1 of a kind, for 50 pounds.
I bet ya we will see Phil Taylor throwing a variation of these in the near future.
Remember these have been called First Editions. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Brilliant post.
It's a mental amount of money for a set of darts and I don't really seeing them ever increasing by much in value, but if people want them good luck to them.
Plenty of folk would spend that amount of money on shoes, festival tickets, a day at the races or even a ropey hooker so each to their own.

I'm probably in a very small minority (of one) but I don't actually think they are very pretty at all, I still desperately wanted to win them in the raffle though!!
Board - Gladiator 2 

Darts - Unicorn Aiden Kirk 22g

Best Leg 12 darts at last! 29/12/2017
Best Checkout 164

Very nice and somewhat funny lol
Thanks to you and your friend Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My mate also said "If you are a golfer, how much does the latest superduper driver set you back?"

He makes a decent point
Great review and funny at the end you threw them. I never saw that coming.

I like gold darts but not those. Sure I wanted to win them but even if they were less than $100US I would have to pass on them. I have enough darts in a box the way it is. But having said that, they look quite impressive in the T20

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elysian First Edition soft tips, any for sale? Getagrip 0 585 10-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Elysian Mark 31 9,451 07-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Stephen Thompson
  Elysian 3 Doubledouble 12 2,284 12-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Target Elysian darts set 141 arrives!!! Getagrip 46 9,847 09-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Shroker