Target Darts.

Any tips for a 1st ever league match?
I'll be playing a league game for the 1st time this Friday.
How can I get over any nerves to try and keep my game together?
Any techniques or approaches that will help with it?

Also, what else do I need to know?
Are there rules of etiquette I need to consider?
(09-09-2015, 01:37 PM)Omp Wrote: I'll be playing a league game for the 1st time this Friday.

breath, stay calm and stay loose

just remember its the 1st game of many, after a few games tension and nerves will get less

always shake hands before and after with a smile.
never put your opponent off
dont talk to your team while opp is throwing
keep your thoughts in your head dont shout get up get in etc.
never stand too close or in there eyeline

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. best of luck
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(09-09-2015, 01:37 PM)Omp Wrote: I'll be playing a league game for the 1st time this Friday.

Do your best to relax and enjoy yourself. You will likely have a bit of nerves and that is only normal if this is your first league, but it is also likely your opponent will feel the same way.

Don't try to overthink things at the line. Trust your stroke like you do when practicing and don't try to analyze it when playing.

Get there early to warm up a bit and get familiar with the venue. Some, like myself like to have a beer or cocktail to help relax, just don't overdo it and get plastered.

Again, just try to enjoy yourself. If you win or lose, will it change the world order, NOPE.
Have fun, that's what it is all about in the end. Play your game, focus on your score....you are the only one in control of what you do! Have FUN and learn from your mistakes and successes, if you are like me you will have many....mistakes that is!!!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
Be a Sponge.... Soak it all up.

You probably won't get over your Nerves, deal with it.... Be a Sponge and soak up the learning experience of starting on your Competitive journey.

You will throw Rubbish Darts, deal with it.... Use it... Be a Sponge... It's a journey in it's self understanding and applying your Mind/Arm/Hand Connection
Go out and enjoy the whole experience, atmosphere and competitiveness of league, but don't expect too much from yourself with it being your first time (this reminds me of something...)
Use it as a learning experience whether you win or lose
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Have fun, and just before you go for bull, focus on your breath, and it should slow and calm down, pretty much killing the 'shaky hands'.

Good luck sir!
Get to the venue early -
Do exactly the same warm up you do when you practice - this should give a sense of familiarty -
Concentrate on throwing your darts - not the match - If your darts go well the match will take care of itself -
Belive in yourself - this shouldn't be hard looking at your signature you got some impressive abilites - (been a long while since i've thrown a 16 darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.)

Shake hands with your opponent before and after the match - Don't speak to your opponent while they are throwing - Don't stand within their eyesight

Don't do anything you wouldn't want your opponent doing.

HAVE FUN!
Most has been covered I think

Shake hands before AND after win or lose

Our league has an unwritten rule that the home player buys the away player a pint after game, some it's winner or loser buys...just check because you can look rude or like a bad loser for an innocent mistake

Try not to show your nerves or newness if possible as some people will pray on it...Try to look confident and believe in yourself

But mainly - go out and enjoy yourself. Don't worry if you play good or bad, just take what you can from it and have a great first game Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Have fun, most of all. Win or Lose it makes no odds, you can't do anything about a loss, but don't beat yourself up on it

Have a read of this

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=12913

This was my first match. My league plays one game of 301 double in each, no best of three, no 501 straight in, so hitting that first double is key. My advice, pick a double you're strong on, doesn't matter what it is, double one, whatever, just get that first double and your nerves will soon settle down.

Don't think (as I have in the past) "I can play better than this", just get those first few games out the way and the nerves will settle themselves down.

But most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

Instagram - @OH_THAT_DAVE
Two very important tips:

1) The pointy ends go TOWARDS the board

2) Darts is a GAME (meant to be fun)

Good luck Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That being said, I've made some lasting friendships through darts (including on this forum) and I said it before but there is something about our game that forms a bond between team mates and league members like no other.

Cheers
Well, it is pretty safe to say this is Wednesday, and you're already getting wound up for Friday.

Being excited is fine. Go out and have fun! Look forward to the "challenge". It is fun. Part of the challenge is to not freak yourself out by focusing on results.

If worrying improved one's performance, I would be world champion. Believe me, it does not help. I have probably made every single mistake there is to make. Here is a very simple example....

When I practice, I stand comfortably balanced with all my weight on one foot. When I get excited, or want to hit something on a league night, I might lean forwards. I almost never hit what I want.

Question: Why does this fail? I am trying really hard....

Answer...

because I practice standing upright, not leaning in....
Thanks for all the tips and advice.
Sounds like the general consensus is to keep my performance expectations low and the corners of my mouth high.
And breath!

I like to keep a few statistics about how often I can hit a target. It makes no sense to think that you're going to hit every target you aim at, when you know the odds. You will try, of course, but don't let yourself get frustrated.

I know people like to think they are going to show their best darts at league night. My PB 501 is a 13 dart game during practice. My next best is 17 darts during practice. Those games happened weeks apart. It is unrealistic for me to think I will play an 18 dart game on demand in a crowded pub.

So my advice is to go in with realistic expectations.

If you exceed them, that is fantastic because league night usually adds a few darts to your average. Don't worry about it, it is natural.

Once you get used to the environment, you'll start throwing more like you normally do.
Warm up well and enjoy it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad league match Ed180 12 171 09-14-2021, 03:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Burns