Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Help with technique
Okay Nutz. Need some help. Hopefully the video will show enough for some constructive criticism. Please analyze the technique. I am currently using a 2 finger rear grip, but would consider changing that. My control is all over the map, and I notice from watching the video that I have a bad tendency to cut my follow through frequently.

Looking forward to the feedback.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

Well we are all so different on our techniques that I think if the end result works then don't change it, so if the darts are there or thereabouts at what your aiming for and it is consistently like that then it is not a problem.

What I do see is you have a very stabby kind of throw and your follow through is sometimes a little jerky and almost done as an afterthought instead of being one continuous motion. Having said that the darts look to be flying quite similarly through the air but its hard to tell for sure.

I just think may be you should work on been a little smoother with the follow through and see how you progress Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the input Grip. Unfortunately, the darts don't always go where I am aiming. I have a bad habit of going right instead of straight ahead. I know most of it is concentration lapse, but I can't help thinking the mechanics are off as well. Going to experiment with a different grip too. Try a 3 finger approach and move forward a bit on the dart.

Additional commentary would be welcome.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
SOFT

Thanks for the vid - Yes your cutting your follow throw short, plus I notice that u open your hand than you don't open your hand. The biggest thing is when you do break your wrist downward your wrist is not straight but turned to your left instead of being straight. A jerky motion for sure , may concentrate on being smooth and not throwing so hard. View this vid.
I tried the other day just using my thumb, index finger and a very slight touch with my middle finger, instead of all 3 fingers and thumb like my usual. I was doing this because I felt that I was maybe affecting the dart with my last 2 fingers. I think my release was improved and I seemed to be getting it straighter but occasionally I would lose control of the dart and it almost fell out my fingers. I think it is harder to have control with less fingers but if you can get away with it ok then I do think it helps with release, just takes practice to make it feel right Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Well, I have started incorporating changes in my morning throwing session today...

First of all, I changed my stance. Shoulders in line with the board side of foot against the oche. Amazing how much better my balance was this way. I was really quite surprised at the difference this made..

Second change was my complete mechanics. I am staying with my typical grip. I tried a few different grips over the last couple of days and they just were not working. Throwing my lightest darts (The recently acquired Ogres) i wasn't even getting to the board 30% of the time even with todays change in stance. So, back to the 2 finger rear grip that I am used to.

I did completely change the throwing motion however. Thanks to some videos (including the ones posted above) I am no longer using the straight full extension as shown in my video above. I am now bringing the dart up, back and forward in one much smoother motion. And yes, the follow through is much better this way. Doesn't feel jerky now at all, much more fluid.

Results I feel are quite good already. I would say these changes have bettered my accuracy by at least 70%. I have already come closer to scoring a 180 than I ever have before. I notice all of my groupings are much better as well. It will definitely take a great deal more practice as I still have a slight tendency to not get my wrist cocked back like I want on some throws. All in all I would say the changes are going to vastly improve my game. I will try and get a new video posted later showing the changes I've made.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
SOFT

Sounds good so far then, looking forward to the 180 pics Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

From what I see your action appears to be a little harsh due to the amount of extension in your arm before pull back and throwing.
You have controlled it a lot I know but I'd like to see what happens if you didn't extend you arm fully, slowed your aim down a little then on your forward release stroke you tried to make it a much smoother follow through action.
Take a look at the way James Wade throws, it's similar to your style but is not so forceful as your action and is a lot softer and relaxed if you follow my drift.
Of course he's a pro and all we mortals can do is try and emulate some aspects of the styles that work for the champs until we become more consistent.
You do a lot of other things well though and as we're all different my suggestions may amount to nothing but the fact that you are seeking some guidance here is a great move. I've learned and continue to pick up tips from the members all the time, good luck.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

This is probably as simple as it gets!

Sorry. Attaching the video has some problems. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrblZWUN9jc#t=38

BTW, I've read that two fingers might be too unstable. three seems a good balance of compromises, four might even be better, but might have problems with the release.

As for the above video, Paul Lim's one of the World's Champions, scoring a perfect 9 darter at Embassy World Darts Champinoship earning him 52,000GBP - a LOT of money back in 1990. Fast forward, he recently won Boris Krcmer to be one of the world's best soft darts champions. He is now 60+ years and still competes at the highest level internationally.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I highly suggest watching this Video

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing Technique Pidge 11 399 02-16-2021, 01:39 AM
Last Post: studart
  Broken Point Removal Technique Mezza47910 3 363 05-18-2020, 04:04 AM
Last Post: RolandAJ
  need opinions on a technique winkix 18 4,311 08-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Last Post: davidsproull
  Shoulder problem, what throwing technique is best rogerc 11 1,641 01-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Last Post: ^Hawk^
  cotton technique patrick dargan 6 1,083 12-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  consistency and technique ooztuncer 3 983 11-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  First World Dart Problems - Technique Rybro 3 1,611 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LionCityDarter