Shot Darts

Which Weight Of Dart.
My question is this. Does the weight of dart you throw really matter? I threw 20g James Wade last year in competition and was okay. I am an average club level player in the UK. But I am always switching darts looking for the "Perfect" set...and yes I know they don't exist. I also collect darts which gives me the opportunity to throw loads of different types and weights.

One thing I have found is I can only throw longish, thin darts. Torpedo barrel types are no good for me at all. Or smooth Ted Hankey types. As for Mervyn King knurled types...just plain no for me.

But I can throw a straight barrelled dart from 16 gram to 26 gram and not much difference for my scoring.

Snakebite Wright changes very often (Ten sets since the Worlds I believe) but most players say to stick to one set. I seem to remember Leighton Rees having his darts stolen and it affected him badly.

So basically...should I stick with the 19 gram Painter I have practised with most of the close season? Hit quite a few practice 180s with them.

Or keep changing about? What do others on this forum do and does it positively or adversely affect your darts changing about?
Throw what ya like mate but no torpedo's lol. Switching darts is okay but never switch IMO once you start a season. Finish with what you started with.
Weight shouldn't matter one bit. I truly believe that ANY average dart player could play similar with weights ranging from 16 grams to 26 grams if given enough time to get used to them. Play with whatever feels best.
Find what you like and stick with them.

If you are hitting 180's with the 19 gram Painter's keep with them.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think you are both right. I am going to stick to the 19 gram Painter as the league starts this Friday and I threw with them okay in a tournament last weekend. I do think however that It doesn't matter that much. With my own throw my tendency is to land the dart under the lipstick of the treble 20 which is annoying.
I can't throw a heavy dart ( above 23gm) ,I have to adjust my throw to much. I can throw soft tip as low as 17 gms. I think weight matters and size of barrel to. That's just me and I'm sure there are a few people out there that have a wide range of weights and dimensions that they can throw.
My perfect weight now is 19 gms and you never know that could change depending on my design that I find perfect at the time.
Heavy darts blast through flights better than light ones.... assuming your throw does not mimic a cannon....Look at Ted Hankey. 14g, standard flights... his 2nd and 3rd don't make it to the board more than most.
(09-01-2015, 05:55 AM)BigE Wrote: Heavy darts blast through flights better than light ones.... assuming your throw does not mimic a cannon....Look at Ted Hankey. 14g, standard flights... his 2nd and 3rd don't make it to the board more than most.

I think he holds the Embassy World Championship 180 record? Out of all the darts I ever played with Hankey's gave me the least deflections. Of course Storm points helped 100% with that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
just use what you like best
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That's the problem. I can never make my mind up! lol.....I was throwing 22 gram Wayne Mardle last night and they were going well. I just think it is strange that people like Wright swap and change weekly and other pros say it is a hard thing to do. Although they all change at the chance of moving to a sponsor and the sponsor wanting to bring out a dart for them. It is the shape that is the only thing that really affects my game.
But Cy, your throw is like a gunshot. Ted's is a gentle toss.
Cy you also use the worlds smallest flights...
(09-01-2015, 04:38 PM)Stalker Wrote: Cy you also use the worlds smallest flights...

True. But Hankey isn't the best example of someone whose darts don't make it to the board. Being a fan of Ted's I've watched just about every video he has. I don't recall him bending over picking up darts. Wes Newton & Jamie Lewis are the best examples of soft throwers who have darts fall out of the board.

Looking at all the light dart throwers starting with the most extreme, Bunting. How many times do you see him bend over to pick up a dart that fell out? Priestley is another. Same as Bob Anderson. Plus they all use huge flights. I just don't physically see any evidence that heavy darts blast through flights better than light ones.
Ted's picked a lot of darts up off the floor.
I can't think of many pros light or heavy that pick up a lot of darts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart Weight Mercer 4 269 01-15-2021, 01:15 AM
Last Post: wzywg
  Weight of dart help Haywood90 2 430 12-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Boneshaker
  dart size/weight and accuracy Zeppi 1 458 02-19-2018, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  What Dart Shape and weight for my throw style and grip? hawk45 7 1,023 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Help with dart weight and throw Joey88 10 1,743 02-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Last Post: AD18
  Dart Weight Gada 4 1,688 06-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Last Post: guest2
  Dart Weight to Flatten Trajectory? AD18 20 6,196 06-03-2015, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Darthlete
  dart weight bullseye69 35 7,841 10-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Big Gun