Harrows Darts.

Michael Van Gerwen XQMax 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0iT88ZNTvY

I'm not sure what the story is behind this new MVG dart, I don't think he plays with this model but it still has his name to it. I got these from Dartswarehouse.com and they cost at present £44.79 (depends on exchange rate) and that includes free worldwide delivery. They are 90% tungsten and are available in 21, 23 (this one) and 25 grams. There is also a soft tip version available too. Here is the link to them: MVG Darts

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a normal sized cardboard box with a plastic see through window. Supplied with the darts is a hard plastic case, a point protector, a set of MVG flights and a set of green transparent polycarbonate stems which appear to be inbetween size:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

I think the darts look good with that green styling and those diamond shaped notches add a bit of extra aesthetics without been entirely functional for grip, although the bigger notches add a little bit of grip. But the ringed sections of the barrel with the mixture of thin cut rings and grooves is a nice grip and I would say its a high medium.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

WEIGHT:

Was a bit of a variety in the weight matching, I do suspect it is likely caused with the application of the paint though but the difference between the lightest and heaviest barrel is 3.6 tenths of a gram.

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance is just front of centre, so slightly front weighted:

With the supplied set up it moves to the centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I think the front section of grip on the barrel is in just the right spot for me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts were landing in my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

Well a 140 on my first throw and then later nearly a 180 holding the darts in a centre grip which is not my usual were 2 very good signs that these are a nice set of darts! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The thing I noticed almost straight away was that with my front grip they seemed very nicely weighted and balanced and I felt comfortable with them from the start. I think for my natural grip they are spot on and the ring grip section provides a nice level of grip.

Of course for the sake of reviewing I usually like to get an idea of how it will work with other grips, so although gripping the darts from the centre was a touch spotty at first it felt a little nicer in the balance and I soon got a good feel for it and nearly hit a 180 on my third throw as you can see in the video above.

I tried throwing from around the rear of the barrel too and it was not too bad considering it is usually very weird for me there and strangely the darts still felt like the balance was good.

So I think this is overall a very nicely balanced dart and should be fine for all grips, I think centre balance was probably just that little better but it behaved well through the air with all the grip positions I tried and since the video review I have thrown them a lot more and think its a great dart with my front grip. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

SUMMARY RATINGS:

Looks: 7.5 (nice and greenGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. )
Grip: 7.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 6 (could be better)
Quality: 7.5 (lost half a point due to weight match)
Value: 7 (ok )
Suitability for me: 8.5 (nice to throw and work well with my grip)

Best Feature: Balance Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review again! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Haven't seen these before. It seems MD/XQmax do have some 'issues' getting the weight matched (I remember the gold MVG review where the weight of the darts were even more apart from eachother)
Nice review - I'll no doubt be getting some of these for my MVG collection at some point
Thanks all, I think it all got a bit confusing when it switched to XQMax, these are made by Shot it says in box or made by Puma for shot, I don't know I'm confused lol!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

uch y fi!

I have the Masterdart version , and this XQMax dart reviewed (Made in New Zealand ) definitely seems to have more grip. Perfectly illustrated from the great pictures.
They Look kinda cool in Shrek Green too.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
I am liking them a lot actually Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-31-2015, 04:45 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I am liking them a lot actually Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

1st time seeing these and wow!!!!!
always thought his MD were too long in 23g

may have to grab a set at some point

awesome review and pics man Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

Do you have the masterdarts/XQ others to compare them too daz? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers!

Don't think I have the Masterdarts ones any more, if I do I don't know where they are lol Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review as ever. Very nice darts.
+1 from me.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Nice review Darren + 1
Cheers! I prefer these much more than his other style Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Darren it's another bit for me to have a look at while sipping some java this morning. Thanks for the eye candy
+1 for nice review and I'm seeing you keeping these the way you tossed them
(09-01-2015, 03:17 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Darren it's another bit for me to have a look at while sipping some java this morning. Thanks for the eye candy
+1 for nice review and I'm seeing you keeping these the way you tossed them

Thanks Tom, yeah I think they feel good to throw so will likely be keeping these Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau Michael van Gerwen Authentic 23g Darts Review Getagrip 41 3,723 10-31-2020, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Richa
  XQMax MVG Original Style 18G, 90% Tungsten Soft Tip Review Ehudakineyah 27 4,146 01-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: John Weita
  XQMax Michael van Gerwen Mighty Generation 2 23g darts review Getagrip 20 10,602 04-03-2019, 05:29 PM
  XQ Max Michael Van Gerwen Mighty Generation 21g darts review Getagrip 30 29,905 03-30-2019, 11:55 PM
  Short Review: XQmax Yordi Meeuwisse 23g vanJupp 11 3,513 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: LPPK
  Unicorn Contender Michael Smith 22g darts review Getagrip 13 22,916 01-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  XQmax Michael van Gerwen World Champion 2017 Limited Edition 21g darts review Getagrip 37 14,231 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  XQMax Michael van Gerwen Originals, 23G, Steel Tip Darts Review [LONG REVIEW] tiddler.tec 9 4,175 08-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: YoungStarDC
  XQMax reviewed darts index mc1958 2 2,001 08-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  XQMax Green Demolisher 70% 25gr copigme 25 9,336 07-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: copigme