Shot Darts

stance change and arm angle change
I usually have my foot at a 45 degree angle at the oche. Recently I tried 90 degree (feet facing completely to the left). It seems this helps keep my arm more steady and the darts seem to be flying better.

I wouldn't say it feels 100% comfortable to throw this way (comfort wise), but I like the way the darts are flying.

The other thing I've messed around with is where my arm is before drawback of the dart. I've been playing with my arm forward quite a bit...so I have a very large drawback of the dart. Kind of like Fallon Sherrock throws. I've noticed most pros have their arm almost at a 90 degree angle. When I try pulling my arm in, I do seem to do well, but because I'm thinking about it I think it affects my throw. It seems like you do best when you are not thinking about any of these distractions.

Any thoughts on this? I notice a lot of pros do a similar stance and arm angle...but I'm sure it's preference. I've seen people who face completely forward and still do well. I'm in-between league sessions and figured it was a good time to try something new.
I stand close to a 60-70 degree angle to the line. I had similar results as you a full 90 felt awkward for me and 45 the darts just didn't fly to the board the way I thought they should.
I used to stand facing straight at the board, but there were a lot of arm/shoulder accuracy/consistency-related problems that came along with that stance. After reading about stance in George’s book, I switched to a 45 degree stance. After some time to acclimate to it, I found that I shoot better standing that way. I’ve also tried facing 90 degrees away from the board, but that stance didn’t help me improve anything and it had it’s own set of problems. One thing that you mentioned is something I’ve found to be important---not having to actively think about stance and stroke when I’m shooting. If I have to mentally run down a stance-grip-stroke checklist while I’m shooting, I’m screwed. That’s too much mental baggage. It kills my rhythm and detracts badly from my ability to focus and concentrate. I need to be able to take a stance, narrow my focus/concentration and just shoot.
I think I'm thinking way too much right now. Probably should just stick with not thinking as much as possible.
Just like people say..... it is not hitting the target that teaches you how to throw, it is missing the target.

Overthinking is a phase that has to be figured out. How long that phase lasts, is the question. How long will it take you (or me for that matter) to sort out over thinking?

Someone told me that alcohol is helpful for overthinkers, because it stops the flood of thoughts between darts. I believe it.
Yep BigE...It's usually my third whiskey and coke.

I think I've gone in and out and back into the over thinking. I find it's tricky...on one hand you need to aim and focus, on the other hand you need to not think. There is certainly a balance between all that.
As far as I can tell, there are two options..... one is to not think, the other is to develop a stroke that does not punish thinking.

I see what most pros have in common is a full extension. They cannot get the arm any more extended to the target than they do.

It's when we think we can do something special with the dart that bad things happen. You can't. You can only throw it. So, don't stop short on extension, not even one millimeter, and you remove one problem.
Seems like trying to fix stance, grip, arm angle, etc is just making me worse. On one hand I think I may need to adjust to get to be better. On the other hand all this adjustment and thinking is hurting my game.

Guess the question is...is it worth it to try and fix what may have been semi-bad form? Or should I just not worry about it and not think about any of it?
(09-03-2015, 03:52 PM)GOLGO-13 Wrote: Seems like trying to fix stance, grip, arm angle, etc is just making me worse. On one hand I think I may need to adjust to get to be better. On the other hand all this adjustment and thinking is hurting my game.

Guess the question is...is it worth it to try and fix what may have been semi-bad form? Or should I just not worry about it and not think about any of it?

Part of this issue is probably that you are trying to make too many adjustments at once. Maybe pick just one area and work on that.
Great advice Lurker1...A guy at work today pointed out that you had thrown so many darts the other way, so it will likely take a lot of throwing to get this way to be comfortable.

My current starting arm position is similar to Fallon Sherrock. not quite as far as she starts but similar. I've noticed most pros have more of a 90 degree angle. Closer to their head with the starting position. One thing I noticed is I have less side to side arm movement when I start at the 90 degree angle.

Below is a picture of Fallon's starting position:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart angle discussion Drum 17 786 08-10-2021, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Westy182
  Dart stance help dazzer 13 1,049 12-26-2019, 12:41 AM
Last Post: dkwalters06
  When to change equipment Elusive Dream 13 1,239 09-05-2019, 02:48 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  A fun way to change grip!! PresidentWu 0 535 03-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Last Post: PresidentWu
Sad My Stance - Wackiest Ever ?? Snooks 6 1,008 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Snooks