Harrows Darts.

The harder I try...
I've been playing a little over three years. Just recently, this has started to become a regular thing. I'll start a practice session and just throw to get loose, or throw three or six on my way between the bathroom and my desk, and I'll be lights out. Like just now, picked up three darts (not even my match darts), chucked 'em up there, two red bulls and one green. Then three more, ton-40. Then I start to get serious and bear down and concentrate, and suddenly I'm throwing 26's.

So what's up with that?
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

See you on Monday night league! I also play as sub there. Or let me know what days you play at Fox n Hound bar!
trying too hard
Edgar -

Not doing league -- I have a Monday night work thing. I'm at the Fox usually a couple days a week (not Monday) between 6 and 7:30 or so. Sometimes on Sunday around 4:30ish.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Title says it all. You grab the darts not giving a damn where they go, and they go where you'd want them if in a real game. Then you buckle down and try to get real specific and you're spraying the board.

I agree with Larry, trying toooo hard.
Before the "concentration" part came in... you're body was operating on pure muscle memory and the Instinct built up over the 3 years, the sub-conscience was working it's magic... then you went and put Conscience electric signals into your Muscles, and they all tighten up.
what he said
This is exactly what happens to me brenthahn. Today I was warming up by playing 170 and took it out in 3 darts (first time ever). Next turn took it out in 5 then 6. That's really good for me. Then I started playing online and averaged 43. It's maddening. I agree with everyone that it's just from trying too hard but it's much easier said than done to just let them fly without any worries or cares.
Yes I do that a lot, I start playing well then I try to hard and end up hitting 5's and 1's. But yea as Dusty said its hard to let them fly without any worries or cares.
What the hell? I warm up throwing some doubles and some trips hit the bull a few times then go to dart-pro, and on some days I get blown out of the water. It's like I'm not even coming close to what I want.
If you are not trying hard enough how can you hit your mark? It's frustrating to say the least which is why I sometimes just blow off the games and come back later in the day, usually the second games I throw better. Why is that?
What makes throwing for doubles any less of a challenge than playing a game against the computer? To me both are tough
(08-19-2015, 09:30 PM)brenthahn Wrote: I've been playing a little over three years. Just recently, this has started to become a regular thing. I'll start a practice session and just throw to get loose, or throw three or six on my way between the bathroom and my desk, and I'll be lights out. Like just now, picked up three darts (not even my match darts), chucked 'em up there, two red bulls and one green. Then three more, ton-40. Then I start to get serious and bear down and concentrate, and suddenly I'm throwing 26's.

So what's up with that?
Step back and relax-----You are playing a game that MUST be fun! If you hit a 180 call it out ONE-HUNDRED 'N' EIGHTY!!!!

One thing is for sure in this game is that you will get into a slump----Do not let it get you down., Play through it and you will all of a sudden be playing UN believable darts------Good luck..Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Well, obviously, you are not throwing the same way when you grab and throw vs bear down and throw.

Perhaps when you bear down, your goal should be to get into the frame of mind you're in when you just grab and throw?
When I’m just starting out a practice session, how accurate my darts in the first couple turns will be and how tight the groups will be are are always a mystery. Sometimes they’re surprisingly accurate and sometimes not. I need to throw for at least a few turns before I work the kinks out, get the muscle memory in gear and start to (hopefully) get any good control over accuracy and consistency. I’m more concerned about how my darts are landing when I’m 5 or 10 minutes into a practice session than I am in the first couple minutes. I don’t think the first couple minutes are worth worrying about--- that’s just warm-up time.
It has been Statistically proven drunk people are less likely to get injured in a car accident then the person they hit that sees it coming. The reason behind it is the drunk person's muscles stay relaxed through out the accident while a person that sees it coming tenses their muscles which reduces their ability to absorb energy.

Same thing is happening when you concentrate i'd wager. The more you concentrate the more you are tensing your shoulder and arm muscles.

Most people get in 'the zone' after a couple beers because it is a natural muscle relaxer that takes off the edge of the concentration muscle strain Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

I would have to agree with what the others have said. When you just throw them with no expectations and no thought just let your body do what it wants to do you can hit the big shots.

When you really concentrate you probably have 10000 things in your head. Am I lined up just right. Am I holding this dart the same as the last one. Am I holding my arm high enough. What is my score. What is my opponents score. Wow they just hit some big shot I need to hit something big now to to have a chance. Why did that dart go into the 12 and not at least the 5 or better yet the 20 like I aimed at. Should I move on the oche. Can I get around that blocking dart. ect ect ect ect.