Unicorn

beginning arm position
So during the last couple practice sessions at my house I have been experimenting with my beginning arm position. I have always thrown with my arm bent pretty good. In other words the dart about mid way between full extension and my face. Trying to work on getting a repeatable throw I tried extending my arm almost completely and starting my throw from there. Felt pretty strange and forced me shift my weight back a bit and stand up a bit straighter. But by having my arm fully extended it seemed to make my throw straighten up a whole lot. Had to work on arm speed a bit to figure out how fast I needed the release stroke to be. Once I kinda got that zeroed in though the resulting throws were pretty impressive.

Its hard to explain but with my arm fully extended it just felt like I could draw the dart back all the way and just send the arm back down the same path. Very robotic like. Which I like the idea of because I want a very repeatable motion. I had a bad feeling though that once I had to aim for something besides the bull this position would feel really strange and I would struggle. Which I did (although it was at the end of my practice session so only spent about 20 minutes hitting different numbers)

When I got into the groove on the bulls though it was almost like I was going to have one of those "ah-ha" moments where I "found" what I should be doing. I'm waiting on a couple new sets of darts as I am a rear gripper and the ones I'm throwing now are just not working out. They fly ok but its really hard to get a consistent repeatable grip which makes judging this new throw hard.

Anybody out there that throws this way with the full extension of the arm or anybody tried this?

I'm sure I'll play with it for a week or so and it will be relegated to the trash bin of failed idea's but that is what practice is for right?
I’ve found that starting with dart about half-way between full extension and my face works best for me. When I start out with my throwing arm fully extended and then chickadee my arm all the way back, keeping all of my movements under full control gets more difficult and my accuracy and consistency suffer. That being said, you should do whatever feels/works best for you and lets you develop the best accuracy and consistency. Good luck with it.
Look at Andy Hamilton. I think it looks like someone working on their throw, until your realize: IT'S ANDY HAMILTON!!!
Yeah I can understand the reasons behind your method, its really just finding out the best way for you in the end. Some pros do a slightly similar thing but not many, and a few are kind halfway between a full extension, I think Leighton Rees is a good example.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
When I saw that you said this:

"Very robotic like."

I thought of this:

Now there's a throwing motion to emulate.
Aye Robbie the Robot is a good example of a Robotic throw Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Yeah, like a Terminator. He basically 'walked through" his opponents at the USA Darts Classic the other week.
As expected I played with it again last night. And tossed the idea out. Its just really uncomfortable. Could I work for hours to make it more comfortable...maybe. But I think its better to perfect a throw and position that is naturally comfortable. You try and mold your throw into something that isn't natural you loose touch and feel I think.

Much like the mullet I rocked in the 80's, marrying the hot crazy girl I fell in love with in my 20's, and doing mushrooms at lollapalooza in 92, this was just a bad idea that seemed good at the time...
....the hot crazy girl was a mistake?
(08-14-2015, 03:05 PM)Deuce Blue Wrote: As expected I played with it again last night. And tossed the idea out. Its just really uncomfortable. Could I work for hours to make it more comfortable...maybe. But I think its better to perfect a throw and position that is naturally comfortable. You try and mold your throw into something that isn't natural you loose touch and feel I think.

Much like the mullet I rocked in the 80's, marrying the hot crazy girl I fell in love with in my 20's, and doing mushrooms at lollapalooza in 92, this was just a bad idea that seemed good at the time...

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. this made my afternoon!!!!
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

(08-14-2015, 03:05 PM)Deuce Blue Wrote: As expected I played with it again last night. And tossed the idea out. Its just really uncomfortable. Could I work for hours to make it more comfortable...maybe. But I think its better to perfect a throw and position that is naturally comfortable. You try and mold your throw into something that isn't natural you loose touch and feel I think.

LOL!

Oh well, its much like what I have found, had a great method going last year and thought I had finally nailed it but caused so much pain in my shoulder it had to go Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Nevermind! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-14-2015, 03:06 PM)redhedkev Wrote: ....the hot crazy girl was a mistake?

Marrying the hot crazy girl was. I mean she literally went crazy. Institutional, rubber room, jacket with the sleeves that tie in the back crazy.
Institutional, rubber room, jacket with the sleeves that tie in the back crazy.

Was that a description of the Honeymoon suite?
hahaha...you guys really rock...!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
I throw like this, arm at full extension aiming, then back to my face and throw attempting to follow the same path the hand travelled through on the draw back. It's not a natural thing - just started doing it in practice. I am a beginner so try different things, nothing works though, may as well be blind folded throwing underarm - would get the same result.

It is difficult though - definitely as much art as science.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the beginning of my dart's journey eggdrop 9 1,134 11-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Last Post: mcockrell