Shot Darts

Unicorn Ultracore One darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrBlki-aE-s

Here we go then with a modern interpretation of some ideas from the past brought up to date with a rather nifty method of altering weight and balance with the new Unicorn Ultracore One darts!

You can find more info on the Unicorn site here: Ultracore one

For people who may not know about past darts there has been various models in the past that allowed you to vary the weight and sometimes the balance of the dart. The Ultacore One does that in a very neat and easy way by having 80% tungsten hollow barrels that have little polymer and 97% tungsten inserts that you place inside the barrel to alter the weight and balance. You can have 4 inserts in each barrel in many combinations and the weight is variable from 17g up to 26g. Not only that but you can also use the same darts for steel or soft tip play which is a great bonus.

What you have here then is effectively a Swiss Army Knife of darts and if you look at it another way your getting a number of darts in one which makes the price of around £48 all the more remarkable!

My video review above is very long at around the 40 min mark because I was trying out some of the various configurations and also weighing and testing the balance of them but I still have not gone through them all!

I will say now at the start that these darts are great fun to tinker with and some of the results from that tinkering can be quite surprising, you may find that what you thought would or would not suit you is exactly the opposite Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Also note the fact they are called Ultracore One, so I guess we will be seeing some other designs in the range for Two, Three etc

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

Well you certainly get a fair amount to tinker with for your money, and I was surprised the darts did not cost more really.

They come in a cardboard box with an outer sleeve and inner tray. Inside the tray is a foam insert containing all the accessories. You get the 80% tungsten barrels and a set of Mirage Gripper 3 stems with Unilab Plus flights (shiny silver and not easy to photograph!). There is 12 97% tungsten inserts and 12 polymer inserts. Some of them are already inside the barrels. There is 1 set of Checkout Finger Grip Soft Tip points and 1 set of Sigma ZeroD titanium nose cones and underneath the foam insert is the instruction leaflet detailing all the various configurations (See Pic near bottom of this page):

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The barrels have a slightly chunkier front section which is made of a high level grip pattern kind of like a curved shark grip with a thin cut ring in between. The rear is a normal ring style grip. Of course you can always reverse the barrel if you so wish:

For me personally the ZeroD nose cone slightly spoils the nice shape of the barrel as it has a kind of subtle bump, is being a bit nit picky though but I do think it looks neater in the soft tip incarnation as below.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

With the nose cone on it is a long barrel!!!

Length without the nose cone:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

CONFIGURATION GUIDE:

The leaflet you get explains all the set ups very clearly as you can see below. Its a great guide and I have yet to try many of them still

WEIGHT:

I weighed the three barrels with nothing attached and they all weighed the same, so a perfect match Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Below is the weight configuration I used and also as it happened how it was set in the box:

VARIOUS WEIGHTS AND DIMENSIONS:

ZeroD Nose Cone:

Soft Tips:

Polymer Inserts:

All the inserts weighed the same:

Length:

Width:

Tungsten Inserts:

I weighed all the 97% tungsten inserts and all were the same except for 2 which were both a little lighter by three hundredths of a gram, but the rest were all this weight:

Length:

Width:

BALANCE:

This is where it got quite interesting but I don't think I am able to quite show the affects properly as the grip design of the barrel makes it a little awkward to rest right on top of the eraser I use. That main grip is quite a bit thicker than the following ring grip but I could definitely feel a difference in my fingers as I switched the positions of the tungsten inserts.

Anyway here is the pics as best as I could balance in spite of the grip.

This is with just the hollow barrels only:

Still hollow with just the ZeroD Nose Cone attached:

Still hollow with full set up:

Now with 2 tungsten inserts at front and 2 polymer inserts at rear and just nose cone attached:

Same again with full set up:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I gripped exactly on the section of main grip and was quite happy with that grip although the barrel still felt a little on the long side but as I played about with the inserts I found a set that seemed to suit best:

Darts landed in the board mostly flattish with the set up I ended up using which was a mid-front loaded setup:

CONCLUSION:

Well its been good fun playing with these darts and very interesting too.

When I first threw them I did it as the lightest setup with no inserts inside and it was kind of strange as I could feel that the darts were very light and hollow feeling, they flew ok though. But then I set the darts up to around the 23g weight with 2 tungsten inserts at the front and 2 polymer inserts at the rear. The difference in weight was obviously very apparent and also the balance was immediately felt at the front.

Two of the barrels felt very solid with the inserts in but one barrel rattled very slightly, it was not off putting but I could feel the inserts move a fraction so not sure why that was, maybe a slightly looser fit?

Throwing the dart felt much more suited to my throw and weight preference and the darts were good to throw although I still felt the length of the barrel with those nose cones was giving me a very slight bit of fishtailing.

I tried another set up with the tungsten inserts at the rear and the polymer inserts at the front. This felt rear heavy straight away and the darts landed very flat in the board but I found them less suited to my throw. I also tried throwing from the rear with this setup and I could not get a feel for it, I know its not my natural grip but it felt more weird than I expected, I did try the same experiment after my video review with the barrels in reverse and it seemed to work better then.

My next setup I tried was one tungsten insert, one polymer insert, one tungsten insert and one polymer insert. This is the Mid-Front loaded set up. I actually found this one to work the best and the darts were very stable in this configuration, so although I am a front gripper I found that maybe I don't need to have a fully front weighted dart. I was still gripping in the same place but the affect of changing the configurations was immediately felt in my fingers and throw and I found that very interesting and fun to tinker with! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

After doing my video review I tried them in their soft tip guise and I think they worked even better for me but I need to try them in a lighter configuration yet so got more experimenting to do still Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

This whole concept is very good fun to play about with and I think for some people who are at a stage where they are not sure what weight of darts they may prefer then this is a superb way to play about with differing weights as well as balance. For others it may be they want to have a dart they can use for both soft and steel tip so again they work great in that respect. For people who are already settled on a weight they prefer it may be a bit pointless getting these really unless you just want to tinker around with setting up different balance configurations?

Overall though I think they are really good value for money and as you can see they are perfectly matched which is I think vital in this case when your switching the weight variations. So may be one for tinkerers and beginners unsure what weight to use but also for players that are into playing soft and steel tip.

Summary:

Looks: 7 (looks better with the soft tips on but fine overall)
Grip: 8 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 10 (Exact)
Quality: 8.5 (good)
Value: 9 (Much better priced than I was expecting and your getting quite a lot of set ups in one package)
Suitability for me: 8 (worked well with right set up but barrels a little long with nose cones on)

Best Feature: Variability Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Excellent review as always mate!!
Bloody hell, that was a long review. Have a +1, and then another Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I really like the look of these,shame about the price though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Cheers Danny Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-12-2015, 04:12 PM)jo$handaz Wrote: Bloody hell, that was a long review. Have a +1, and then another Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I really like the look of these,shame about the price though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks! Price is great considering what your getting, I was expecting them to cost in the £70 region

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review bud and very interesting. That length is ridiculous with those nose cones though!
(08-12-2015, 04:19 PM)JayKay Wrote: Great review bud and very interesting. That length is ridiculous with those nose cones though!

Thanks John, its a bit long although I got used to it after I found a set up I liked Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Good review. I love the concept of these darts and I think we'll see more companies doing this in the future. The only thing that bugs me about the entire set up is the nose cone. Imagine what they would look like with a Target conversion point.

I'd be interested in trying a set to see the differences in how they fly.
Great Review as always, those points dont look good on them and when the news came out about these i wondered if the inserts would rattle around
Thanks guys, I had a similar thought about the nose cones on the Sigma Carbons I reviewed, it is just a little long and not as streamline as say the soft tips.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yes the soft tip point looks alot better, i guess you could get other points tho
Fantastic review! The steel tips look interesting and different -- tiny grooves that might be enough for a gripper-point fan, but look like they won't rip up your board. And maybe aren't as vulnerable to breaking, too.

And the whole thing strikes me as an instant collectible -- first-generation, weird, expensive, and with lots of little bits and pieces that are easy to lose. Like the Accudart Variants. Of course, you have to buy them and then never even open the package :-)
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

great review
(08-12-2015, 04:41 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Yes the soft tip point looks alot better, i guess you could get other points tho

Yeah may be Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-12-2015, 04:53 PM)brenthahn Wrote: Fantastic review! The steel tips look interesting and different -- tiny grooves that might be enough for a gripper-point fan, but look like they won't rip up your board. And maybe aren't as vulnerable to breaking, too.

And the whole thing strikes me as an instant collectible -- first-generation, weird, expensive, and with lots of little bits and pieces that are easy to lose. Like the Accudart Variants. Of course, you have to buy them and then never even open the package :-)

Thanks Brent, but if you never open them you wont have the fun of playing about with all the combos Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-12-2015, 04:54 PM)Stalker Wrote: great review

Cheers mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Wow! A 40 min video and all the permutations aren't totally covered yet! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks for the time, trouble and effort to bring us these reviews, Darren! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 41 26,750 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 819 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,236 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 497 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,336 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 402 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,896 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,497 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 947 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  Unicorn T90 23 grams review. Phil D 6 873 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade