Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Shot Start Joker 24g brass darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHpqJm0F0U

Shot recently started a range called Shot Start which is aimed at beginners mainly and consists of a range of darts from steel, brass and 70% tungsten. There is also a range of dartboards and cabinets too.

There is also an accessory kit as shown below which provides a range of flights and stems to help tune your setup, that retails for £6.45 at Dartswarehouse.com here and has 3 sets of flights in kite, pear and standard shape and some flight protectors and it has 2 sets of nylon and 2 sets of aluminium stems in short and medium size:

DARTS KIT:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

This review is for the Joker 24g brass darts. These are available in soft tip also. They are available in 3 colours red, blue and purple and in three weights 22, 24 and 26 grams. They cost £12.88 with free delivery: Joker 24g

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a clam shell plastic pack with an internal plastic tray holding the barrels fitted with some medium alloy stems. There is 2 sets of standard flights and a spare set of medium polycarbonate stems. On the inlay card there is some rules for various games and on the back is a brief outline of the Shot Start range:

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

As you can see the grip is a thin ringed knurl grip with fairly deep grooves and space between. I would say its just about a high medium level of grip.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Quite a long barrel.

Width:

Detailed Dimensions:

WEIGHT:

There is just four hundredths of a gram difference between lightest and heaviest barrel so very close:

Weight of the full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance is slightly front weighted:

With the supplied setup it moves to the centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I felt these worked best for me just gripping front of centre, its quite a long barrel so gripping right at the front felt a bit too off balance:

Darts landed slightly up but on the whole fairly flat:

CONCLUSION:

Well I think this is probably the first brass set of darts I have ever reviewed and that's a little strange when I think just how many vintage brass darts I have! Also I have and do often get requests to review brass darts so I think there is still a lot that like to use them and not solely beginners.

This range is aimed at the beginner though but like I said there is plenty of people that may still prefer to use brass darts and I think possibly one of the reasons could be the thicker barrels. I may be wrong but I think for some people having that thicker barrel in their grip affords them more control of the dart. I know when I started off with brass darts and then switched to tungsten the thing I found must strange was the thinness of the barrels and I would often find myself going back to the brass darts. But its all a learning process and takes time to adjust.

It was fun going back to some brass darts like these though and the only real issue I had was adjusting to the length. I got a little bit of fishtailing at first but eventually got over that but did find that they seemed to throw best just past the centre, they seem to be more stable through the air here but it was a little too unnatural for me so I stuck with my just front of centre grip. I hit a few trebles with them too and after doing the video (almost had a 180 in that) I was hitting a good few 140's so it was getting good with them. One thing I really don't like about brass darts though is the smell it leaves on your fingers. I could not detect that so much with these but it may be because the rings are painted and the grooves are quite deep so I was not in direct contact with the brass surface.

The grip is pretty good though, it should be fine for beginners as it has enough grip so you can keep control yet it releases nice and easy too.

Overall it was a fun experience with these and after a little practice I found them to fly quite well Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

SUMMARY RATINGS:

Looks: 7 (colourful)
Grip: 7.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (close)
Quality: 8 (seems fine for what they are)
Value: 7 (not too bad as free delivery included)
Suitability for me: 7 (worked well after some practice but length was main issue)

Best Feature: Grip
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

This is what I like about your reviews. You show no bias. You review them all. You give us your opinion and then let us make the choice to buy, use, or just ignore.
I now want to check out my old brassies and see how they feel. Not sure where they are though
Thanks D.
Great review. I think they look great and inspired me to grab my first ever set (black painted brass) and I really enjoyed throwing them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Might need to look into some brass as they are cheap as chips!

Go retro! Brass will be cool one day I tell you
The review is excellent as always but I just never understood the need for a "beginner' dart. You can get high quality tungsten darts for around £13 or $20us anyway. So why buy something that might make darts less enjoyable when you can have proper equipment for the same price?
I love the idea of a dart line designed for new players..... BUT... do they really need to use knurl?
With so many excellent grip style out nowadays.... I guess knurl would be super cheap to produce as it's just rolled on, but they carved some rings in after the knurl anyways. I'd think just the ring grip alone would be much nicer.

Another great review though... your pics even make knurl look decent!

(08-10-2015, 05:09 PM)Cyanide Wrote: The review is excellent as always but I just never understood the need for a "beginner' dart. You can get high quality tungsten darts for around £13 or $20us anyway. So why buy something that might make darts less enjoyable when you can have proper equipment for the same price?

In theory you are correct. But I think there is a lot to be said for a big chunky dart to start with. It is easier to line up and keep straight. I wished I had started with darts like these. Instead I went straight for a 97% Harrows Magnum darts. I picked up bad habits that I am fighting against to this day!

Great review as ever Mr Grip!
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Thanks guys, I think there is still a lot of people who prefer brass believe it or not. To tell you the truth I almost did not want to try them as I could see my liking of the chunky barrels returning, I think it sets up my grip better being thicker barrelled but its just that extra length that is a little more awkward. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Loved the way you managed reflections of the blister packs, Darren! Top-end job I must say! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(08-10-2015, 07:07 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Loved the way you managed reflections of the blister packs, Darren! Top-end job I must say! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks, no idea how I done it though lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shot Warrior Tipu 23g darts review Getagrip 9 2,401 12-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Shot Darts Kyle Anderson Battler Darts Review Getagrip 6 384 11-24-2020, 06:52 PM
  Shot! and Shot Gear reviewed Darts mc1958 30 5,769 11-22-2020, 09:04 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Shot Kyle Anderson The Original O.G Darts Review Getagrip 15 569 11-16-2020, 02:29 PM
  Shot Kyle Anderson Desert Boomer Darts Review Getagrip 1 187 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Shot Tribal Weapon Koa Darts Review Getagrip 7 477 09-23-2020, 01:58 PM
  Shot Warrior Kapene Darts Review Getagrip 12 719 09-19-2020, 03:33 PM
  Shot Darts Daniel Larsson Darts Review Getagrip 10 533 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM
  Shot Viking Drakkar 23g darts review Getagrip 29 5,961 08-13-2020, 04:03 PM
  Shot Roman Empire Caesar Darts Review Getagrip 10 787 04-12-2020, 11:51 AM