Target Darts.

Growth Spurt?
Been tinkering with my throw.

Used to be like John Part - (forward feint, back, and forward throwwwwwww)

Now it looks like Gary Anderson (set, pull to eye, throwwwwwwwww)

With this change I get a day of great darts averaging 18 dart games ... then the next practice session I am shooting 24 dart games

I would like to think that this is a growth spurt .. learning curve.

What do Dartnutz think?

PSGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. my previous norm are 20-21 dart games)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
Wow that's a massive change your throw so you will need to be patient until it becomes more "normal" and you can throw without thinking about it.
A brave man to change so much and could be the start of a great upturn in your game only time and practice will tell, look forward to an update in a few months.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I’ve found that when I make a big change in my throw like that, I’ve had some startling temporary improvements that come hand-in-hand with uncontrollable inconsistency. In short, much like what it sounds like you’re going through... I have yet to get a handle on it, so I’ve pretty much gone back to my old style of throwing. When I’m in a clinch at league night, sometimes I’ll use the Anderson style throw to get through the tight spot (and it almost always works) and then go back to my old (Part) style throw to stick with my consistency.
Your 18 dart days show good focus.... your 24 not so much..... you sure that the other way produced a consistent 21 dart avg, or were there 18 dart days and 24 as well?
18-24 darts - Man your a good player my friend.
A 3 dart jump in average is a bit extreme imo. A 15 dart avg is 100.3 avg. An 18 darter is 83.5 and a 21 darter is a 71.5 average.

If an already good player put in a TON of hard work I think it's possible to gain 8-10 points on their average in a years time. But that requires a lot of dedication. A jump in average of 3-5 points would be significant. Might not sound like much but it's a lot.
I've been trying to move from 54 to 60..... some days I can hold onto 58 for a while, then it is gone to 54 again. It is harder to do than you may think: hitting 100,41,41 gives you 60 PPT. You still must hit 7 of 9 in the twenty, and one must be a triple.

I don't know what is wrong..... head or body? I think head -- very easily distracted, then the body does not setup right. Still not back to form.
(08-06-2015, 07:17 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Wow that's a massive change your throw so you will need to be patient until it becomes more "normal" and you can throw without thinking about it.
A brave man to change so much and could be the start of a great upturn in your game only time and practice will tell, look forward to an update in a few months.

Thanks for the support and advice.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
(08-06-2015, 08:13 PM)Adams Wrote: I’ve found that when I make a big change in my throw like that, I’ve had some startling temporary improvements that come hand-in-hand with uncontrollable inconsistency. In short, much like what it sounds like you’re going through... I have yet to get a handle on it, so I’ve pretty much gone back to my old style of throwing. When I’m in a clinch at league night, sometimes I’ll use the Anderson style throw to get through the tight spot (and it almost always works) and then go back to my old (Part) style throw to stick with my consistency.

Incredible, insightful advice. I will use it to my advantage.

(08-06-2015, 09:10 PM)BigE Wrote: Your 18 dart days show good focus.... your 24 not so much..... you sure that the other way produced a consistent 21 dart avg, or were there 18 dart days and 24 as well?
Thanks.

Beforehand my average for 10 games was 22 dart games. Nothing better than 21 so I have been pushing myself to get to 21, 20 ... I would have practices where I would get 24 averages 1 of every 8 times but I was consistently at 21-22-23.

I have recently had average games of 18-19 and 20 ... but then have stinkers hours later. So I have become less consistent, this is based on a body of work of 2 weeks vs 18 months. I am hoping that my consistency will return once I get more automatic with my change in form.

(08-06-2015, 11:41 PM)*Saber* Wrote: 18-24 darts - Man your a good player my friend.

Thanks Saber .... Love this game.

Always striving to get to next level and being here helps me as I hope I can help other Dartnutz.

(08-07-2015, 02:28 AM)Cyanide Wrote: A 3 dart jump in average is a bit extreme imo. A 15 dart avg is 100.3 avg. An 18 darter is 83.5 and a 21 darter is a 71.5 average.

If an already good player put in a TON of hard work I think it's possible to gain 8-10 points on their average in a years time. But that requires a lot of dedication. A jump in average of 3-5 points would be significant. Might not sound like much but it's a lot.

I agree.

The 18 dart average for 10 games was my personal best and don't believe that it's attainable. It's a blip.

However, I do believe that I can go from 22 dart game averages to 20 with dedication. I will win alot more games finishing in 6-7 turns at the oche than 7-8 ... that's my goal.

(08-07-2015, 02:51 AM)BigE Wrote: I've been trying to move from 54 to 60..... some days I can hold onto 58 for a while, then it is gone to 54 again. It is harder to do than you may think: hitting 100,41,41 gives you 60 PPT. You still must hit 7 of 9 in the twenty, and one must be a triple.

I don't know what is wrong..... head or body? I think head -- very easily distracted, then the body does not setup right. Still not back to form.

The best player I know realized that the most important thing to master was being vertically consistent, ie. hitting 20's rather than 1 or 5

He used to practice on a cabinet style enclosed dart board and shut the two doors then shoot without hitting the wooden doors. After that ... it became easy for him. Of course his cabinet became less than pristine LOL .... instead his game became pristine.

That is a good idea, but I don't have a case -- the basement ceiling is too low for that. Phil Taylor suggests dropping a string down the middle of the board to the floor to help calibrate your stroke. Stronger visual cues ought to help straighten out the stroke.

Vertical consistency is something I obviously lack. Paying attention to the pull and push is OK in practice, given that it does not matter too much if you hit or not. You're just working muscle memory on that part of the stroke. But, that does not guarantee it is going to stick at game time -- even against n01 ( the laptop program). I just might revert to the old tricks.

I found that lining up right when addressing the board is crazy important. I moved just slightly left of where I was standing, maybe an inch. I think too far to the right ( I am right handed ) and I end up either pushing the dart left, which can go to the 5, or straight into the 1. Terry Jenkins said something like if you get it right behind the line, a whole bunch of problems go away. I think this could be one of them.

I also found that bigger flights seem to get the dart to find the target more often....much more often.

I've switched to Kyle Andersons -- they are just a touch bigger than full size standards. Between the big flights and change of position on the oche, I had a run last night of about 30+ trips to the oche without missing the T20 -- hit quite a few 135, 123, 121,125, and very few 66 ( maybe one ). I am guessing that the position on the line is better, and the flight size makes for less deviation on stroke error -- what may have found the left edge of the T1 now finds the right edge of the T20.

But lets face it, playing at under 60 PPT, there is a LOT of room for improvement. Probably a whole bunch of things wrong I am not aware of.