Darts Buddy

Soft tip to steel conversion?
Just wondering, how many of you all shoot with soft tip, with say a target titanium steel tip conversion? I've been contemplating a decent set of softies just to have, but I mostly shoot steel. Just trying to decide if its worth it, especially since I've been thinking of trying some lighter darts anyway.....
The great majority of soft tip dart barrels are ~18g, so you’ll end up with a converted steel tip dart that’ll be ~20g. In addition to that, you’ll need to use a rubber O-ring between the conversion point and the barrel or else you’ll have to tighten them up after almost every throw. I’ve got two soft tip sets that I converted. They work OK when I’m in the mood to play with a ~20g dart (which is very rarely and never for very long).
The target conversion Points come with o rings and work great. There is a slight difference I'm using them and soft tips but after 10 minutes you can't tell the difference. I only own soft tip Darts now as I live in an area where there isn't any steel tip boards but if I moved back to England I would be happy to just put some conversion points in my darts and use them.
Most of the old stock 18 gram soft tip sets are actually 16 gram barrels dressed out with shafts flights and soft tips and still weigh less than 18 grams,,,,,,,,, used to be 16 grams total weight 20 years ago,,,,today most manufacturers have 20 gram darts full dressed,,,,And many companies are offering some real heavy weights,,,, I have a set of Unicorn Phase 5 purists that are just under 22 grams,,,,I love the light weight conversion points ,,,,
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
As I am still relatively new to darts (a few months), this is exactly the path I took. I have one set of steel and two sets of soft tips that I convert to steel. The reasoning was that I wanted to use the same dart no matter what board I played on. This seems to be working well for me.

Like most, I much prefer to play steel tip but there are very few places where I live in the States that have bristle boards. Everything is soft tip. At home, I have both boards on the wall and almost exclusively play steel. But out and about I am stuck with soft tip.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I throw Harrows Dimplex soft tip darts at the moment. I have a variety of conversion points for them, and personally the lighter weight works wonders for me.

Plus if I ever take up soft tip I don't need to buy new darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
(08-04-2015, 01:22 PM)jo$handaz Wrote: Plus if I ever take up soft tip I don't need to buy new darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That was my thought too! Although here in raleigh NC and surrounding areas, soft tip is pretty much gone! In the early 90's, it was a 60/40 split with still more steel boards. In all the bars we play out of, I can't think of one that still has a soft tip board anymore. Kinda wouldn't mind if they came back some, they are kinda fun!
I've always been a better soft tip player then steel tip. I've never been able to figure out why either. So I've always fought it and used a proper set of steel tips. Recently I went back to soft tips and immediately started shooting as well or better then I ever had in my life. Keep in mind, I've been laid up for over 4 months with a busted leg so there was zero practicing. Anyway, I told myself that I don't care what dart I play with so I kept on using the soft tip dart. Bam! I caught my best leg of 3001 using these darts followed by breaking a long, long standing record on one of my practice games I play. A few days ago I also tied my best leg of 1001 that I've caught on video. So needless to say I'm sticking with soft tip darts. Quite simply I play better with them.

I did get myself a set of 26mm Target titanium conversion points. If you're looking for the best conversion points then those are the ones to get. They are far better then anything else on the market in terms of weight and how long they last. So that's what I'm playing with now. A cheap set of soft tip darts with a conversion point.
I remember throwing very well with softies too, that's exactly what has got me thinking!
(08-04-2015, 04:15 PM)Bigbuddha74 Wrote: I remember throwing very well with softies too, that's exactly what has got me thinking!

It's worth a try. I can't even begin to explain how well it's helped my game recently. The only difference I can think of is there's a lot less weight on the front of a soft tip dart compared to a steel tip dart. Everything else is the same.
(08-04-2015, 04:23 PM)Cyanide Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 04:15 PM)Bigbuddha74 Wrote: I remember throwing very well with softies too, that's exactly what has got me thinking!

It's worth a try. I can't even begin to explain how well it's helped my game recently. The only difference I can think of is there's a lot less weight on the front of a soft tip dart compared to a steel tip dart. Everything else is the same.

Uh oh, Cy is saying that weight distribution in a dart matters?!

I have always kinda liked the idea of having a threaded point, and having the same dart for steel and soft, but in practice I realized that I spin my darts counterclockwise as I pull them from the board and it loosens my point. Sounds really simple but it is kind of a chore to spin my darts clockwise as I pull them out.
(08-04-2015, 04:46 PM)Dmott Wrote: Uh oh, Cy is saying that weight distribution in a dart matters?!

I have always kinda liked the idea of having a threaded point, and having the same dart for steel and soft, but in practice I realized that I spin my darts counterclockwise as I pull them from the board and it loosens my point. Sounds really simple but it is kind of a chore to spin my darts clockwise as I pull them out.

LOL!! It doesn't matter but it's the only difference I can think of. My dart flies the same in the air and lands in the board at the same angle. But in practice my game certainly improves by quite a bit. I've always said I'd be able to throw ANY dart barrel with approx the same consistency but for some reason with soft tip barrels I'm a slightly better player according to stats I've tracked. :s
The only places locally that have boards are soft tip so I throw soft tip. I put on some conversion tips to practice at home but I need to find a new set I like. I have been using the L-Style carbon tips but they wear down to fast and are to pricey to keep buying. Maybe a set of the titanium tips will be in my future.
(08-04-2015, 04:52 PM)Stalker Wrote: The only places locally that have boards are soft tip so I throw soft tip. I put on some conversion tips to practice at home but I need to find a new set I like. I have been using the L-Style carbon tips but they wear down to fast and are to pricey to keep buying. Maybe a set of the titanium tips will be in my future.

Why don't you just use a good soft tip point? Don't like the springiness as it enters the board?
(08-04-2015, 03:28 PM)Cyanide Wrote: I've always been a better soft tip player then steel tip. I've never been able to figure out why either. So I've always fought it and used a proper set of steel tips.

Since I restarted my darting hobby last year,,,I have bought a few dozen soft tip dart sets and a few steel tip sets looking for a proper steel tip set to throw,,,,I have found it much easier to set up a set of soft tips with conversion points and make them fly like I want them to ,, then any proper steel tip set so far,,,,I have thrown soft tips 95% of the time since '91,,,

This is how I have spent my morning,,,,, trying out different combinations on my recently acquired Bunting darts,,,

Just for *hits and grins,,,,I pulled out my 20 year old set of Harrows Power points conversion tips ,,, they fit the 18 gram buntings perfect,,,,,

Points of interest,,,

1. You would think the Target Titanium Conversion points would at least fit Target soft tips perfectly,,,,,not always the case,,on my 14 gram Buntings I can feel a very tiny edge where the point meets the barrel,,,,,the 18 gram version is a bit thicker and fits really well,,,

2.The Target Titanium natural conversion points stick in the board better than any points I have ever tried,,,and the gold and black versions are reported to stick even better,,,,,for light darts you can not beat them,,,,,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  soft vs steel Eso Rimmer 24 1,289 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing jayouloun 41 12,148 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  How to manage weight difference between steel and soft darts? Che-Min Tsai 11 939 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Throwing steel and soft *Saber* 3 409 04-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Last Post: MariusOveras
  Steel ot soft tip darts...? Michael Hobson 22 996 02-24-2019, 12:12 AM
Last Post: BDG
  Soft or Steel Kmanchizh 11 658 01-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  To conversion or not to conversion asquick 8 1,104 08-04-2018, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Troublewithtrebles
  Soft tip and steel Blanton 4 603 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Blanton
  Practice both steel and soft tip EdwardO 6 832 01-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Last Post: ranger86
  Soft tip Darts or Steel tip darts - Poll kamikersie 15 4,550 07-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Brian Watts