Unicorn

Has a set of darts ever made you re-think what you like?
I grew up throwing darts every once in a while, but so rarely that I never cared or even gave a second thought to what I was throwing. Some friends and I bought some $40 nickel or maybe steel Viper darts (America!), and as long as we didn't have the same darts we were good to go.

Now that internet sales are so popular and I am on this forum a bunch, I have tried a lot of darts.

I had my whole progression of darts typed out, but it was too much rambling. Simple version is: bullet--->Hamilton style---> Beaton---> Anything I could get my hands on----> anything as thin and short as possible. (The change from bullet shape to the final as "thin and short as possible" was quick. I have tried to stay with a thin and short dart since then)

Now I have set of Target Geminis from a trade with Majeek, and I really didn't expect to like them. I expected them to be the same as my Taylor Phase 2 which I didn't like. But for some reason, these darts are really comfortable, and they are flying well.

I've been avoiding any long darts purposely for quite some time: G Anderson, a lot of One80 darts, and more I cant remember at the moment. Now Im wondering if I have been missing out.

What darts have you guys thrown that have made you rethink what you thought you liked?
A few years ago I was sent a set of silver Hankey's. I had no intention of using them at all. I had preconceived thoughts about a smooth dart. For some reason I thought I hated them even though I really never tried a smooth dart. Ya know, kind of like hard core steel tip dart players that tell everyone they hate soft tip darts even though they've never even seen a proper board :s

Anyway, I fell in love with the Hankey's and used them exclusively for about 3 years. I've moved on from them but still consider them to be one of the greatest darts ever made. One of the 'must try' darts. The 14g version anyway.
Now that you mention it, I think the Hankeys are what made me re-think smooth darts also. Before the Hankeys I thought I hated smooth darts, because I only ever experienced smooth sections on darts. Like on the Beatons, the smooth section is right where my middle finger rests and they would slip off that section fairly often.

Now I know, because of the Hankeys and a few other darts Ive tried, that I am completely fine with a smooth section on the back like Bristows or in the middle like Glaziers, but definitely not towards the front like Beatons.
My first set of darts were a bottelson gap smooth barrel. I used them for close to 2 years because I didn't know any better about other darts and other styles. I recently got a set of Monster beast and they have made me want a set of hankey's to throw around. I loved the smooth grip on the bottelson darts and they released very nice every time I never felt like I had a sticky grip with them. The beast have the shark grip on the back and my fingers touch the first ring and cause issues. I guess both sets have made me re-assess what I like with darts and what I want. I'm hopeful the smooth plus the front weighted of the hankey's will work out for me.
(08-03-2015, 11:14 PM)Stalker Wrote: My first set of darts were a bottelson gap smooth barrel. I used them for close to 2 years because I didn't know any better about other darts and other styles. I recently got a set of Monster beast and they have made me want a set of hankey's to throw around. I loved the smooth grip on the bottelson darts and they released very nice every time I never felt like I had a sticky grip with them. The beast have the shark grip on the back and my fingers touch the first ring and cause issues. I guess both sets have made me re-assess what I like with darts and what I want. I'm hopeful the smooth plus the front weighted of the hankey's will work out for me.

Hankeys in 14g are pretty much hollow, so even though they have a slight taper I don't know if you would consider them front weighted.

I have some though and they are really nice. I need a smaller flight but it seems the light dart makes it easier to exactly duplicate your throw. My problem was getting the first dart in the right spot.
Winmau Zagato (currently available on the swap thread lol). But I just never got to try many sets until I joined this forum and always just assumed I was better off with a short, thick barrel. Apparently that is not the case for me and I would have never figured that out without all of the help I have encountered in the short time I've been a part of this forum.
(08-03-2015, 11:19 PM)Dmott Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 11:14 PM)Stalker Wrote: My first set of darts were a bottelson gap smooth barrel. I used them for close to 2 years because I didn't know any better about other darts and other styles. I recently got a set of Monster beast and they have made me want a set of hankey's to throw around. I loved the smooth grip on the bottelson darts and they released very nice every time I never felt like I had a sticky grip with them. The beast have the shark grip on the back and my fingers touch the first ring and cause issues. I guess both sets have made me re-assess what I like with darts and what I want. I'm hopeful the smooth plus the front weighted of the hankey's will work out for me.

Hankeys in 14g are pretty much hollow, so even though they have a slight taper I don't know if you would consider them front weighted.

I have some though and they are really nice. I need a smaller flight but it seems the light dart makes it easier to exactly duplicate your throw. My problem was getting the first dart in the right spot.

I figure they are more front weighted the the bottlen's I have.

I throw 18g whole set up now since I throw soft tip more often, and I defiantly prefer light darts over heavy. I have a set of brass darts that came with one of my dart cabinets and no idea what they weigh (no scale) but I can't stand to throw them, way to heavy.
(08-03-2015, 11:29 PM)Stalker Wrote: I figure they are more front weighted the the bottlen's I have.

I throw 18g whole set up now since I throw soft tip more often, and I defiantly prefer light darts over heavy. I have a set of brass darts that came with one of my dart cabinets and no idea what they weigh (no scale) but I can't stand to throw them, way to heavy.

Check out the bss section. M1ghty just offered up a set of Hankey's.
(08-03-2015, 11:38 PM)Cyanide Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 11:29 PM)Stalker Wrote: I figure they are more front weighted the the bottlen's I have.

Check out the bss section. M1ghty just offered up a set of Hankey's.

M1ghty or Dusty9?
I saw Dusty9's post I didn't see one from M1ghty
Oops. Yeah Dusty Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I get this with every set I buy. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Seriously though, most notable example for me was my Dimplexes - went from throwing 23g Carrera C9s to 14g Dimplexes. Practically 10g lighter and never looked back.

Got a set of 17g Bunting G1s today, they're looking and flying lovely right now...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
(08-04-2015, 12:01 AM)jo$handaz Wrote: I get this with every set I buy. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Seriously though, most notable example for me was my Dimplexes - went from throwing 23g Carrera C9s to 14g Dimplexes.

What do you think made them so much more comfortable? Length? weight? Grip?
Just the effortlessness in throwing them. The lightness of them is great - anything over 18g feels like a lead weight in my hands now. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The grip is nice too but I love the nano grip on the Buntings now. Length is good, they're all about my size.

I think it's safe to say I'm a convert to the "light side" now. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
(08-04-2015, 12:01 AM)jo$handaz Wrote: I get this with every set I buy. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Same here (past tense). After almost 2 dozen sets in 6 months, my mind was spinning, I’d lost all direction and I was no closer to finding that “ideal dart” than when I started the hunt. I finally picked the one set I liked best, I’ve stuck with them for 5 months now and I feel doing that has been one of the best moves I’ve made.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  are these dorwin darts or home made notjimpike 1 392 01-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
Video Just a quick video chat about how the new Harrows Dave Chisnall darts were made Getagrip 9 1,274 10-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Can the greatest darts player of all time step away from the game that made him? Getagrip 22 6,980 04-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: BigCountry22
  Win a Set of Your Own Designed Custom Made Darts Custom Made Darts 26 1,758 01-17-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Chappers
  New Custom Made Darts Website Custom Made Darts 9 1,706 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Last Post: REBEL
  Ted Hankey darts no longer made? Alex 23 5,328 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Last Post: NiteEyez
  Question about Custom Made Darts Red'75™ 19 4,099 02-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Rano
  U.K. Darts Manufacturers and darts made in England Getagrip 20 16,505 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Last Post: The D'Artist