Darts Buddy

My Target 2016 Product Launch Day Experience
Well I am going to give my take on the launch day and hopefully do it in a way as to give you an idea of what it was like to attend from the start of my journey to my return home.

I don't see much point in my detailing all the products and info that was shown on the day as I think Mike and Danny have both done great jobs in their threads here: Dannys Day at Target Launch and Mikes Day at Target Launch  Please check them out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So I am going to touch on the things that went on and give my honest opinions as I see it, I am not going to bull up or back slap anything from Target or the day unnecessarily just to curry favour and hope they invite me back again, in all honesty its not needed, as very little was wrong but I do have a few things to point out as you will see Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As with the others who attended I would first like to thank James Tattersall the sales manger for sending me an invite card and also Keith from Puredarts for giving me a spare invite so I could take my nephew along or rather he took me lol.  So, many thanks guys!  I would also like to thank Garry Plummer and all the Target staff for making the day a great one to treasure for years to come and allowing some members of the public to may be have a once in a lifetime experience! Thank you all!

Ok lets start shall we?

Well as you know I got the invite card some weeks ago and of course I was very quiet and never bragged about it at all Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I was lucky I managed to get another invite card and we were all set, myself and my nephew Bryan to journey down to Harlow.  But then my nephew had to work in Basingstoke for 10 weeks which meant I had to buy train tickets to get there, £235!!! Damn I could have almost bought the Elysian darts for that! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Got my tickets then nephew says he is not working there now and coming back home, double damn!!!  So hopefully I will get a refund of part of my train fare for the journey there but was still going to get the train home as cant get a refund for that part sadly as it was an advance single £100.

So I was up 5:30am on Thursday 30th July and had some breakfast, 6am was washed, showered and set to go by 6:30am. 

We set off in the car on a typically beautiful summers day in the North East of England i.e. it was raining lol:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

After about 3 hours and 30 mins I seen a welcoming sign Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Glad we took the A1 as I think the M1 would have been slower, I did see some worrying stuff on the roadside and central reservation though, a lot of shredded tires and various other debris, also a few dodgy drivers to look out for but we got there:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

By about 10 past 10 we were at the Target HQ:

We got out and checked at the door but were told we would have to come back at 10:30 as no one was allowed in yet.  So we went back to the car and waited a bit and I seen a face I recognised, none other than Danny "The Demon" Davis who was with Mike "The Collector" Cowell Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

So I thought I would go over and scare them with my ugly mug lol

Well as I said before it was great to finally meet these two guys, only known them since about early 2011 from my days at Darts Corner forum, weird to be friends in forum land so long without meeting face to face!  So that was great and they were with another guy, Kevin I think? who had won an invite from DC forum comp and who it turned out was on my table later and threw a mean soft tip dart too considering he was a 26g steel tipper, good throwing mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So we eventually got in and I had to get them to make a tag for my nephew as he had not been put down on the list, probably my fault so, sorry guys!

Once inside I seen a few familiar faces milling about and pro players too and then I seen Tony from Madhouse and had a quick hello and brief chat. Also I met Lee Taylor another baldy like me lol who is a member of all the forums and was a very nice friendly guy with a great Bristolian accent, nice meeting you Lee Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I seen a nice rack laid out with all the goodie bags which we got a little later.  There were three buckets with various beverages on ice and a hot water urn for coffee or tea and a load of biscuits.  My stomach was not too good at that point though, I was feeling a bit iffy and its still not cleared up whatever it has been but I thought I would have a cuppa and see if it helped, it never.

We sat down at our table and I got chatting to the guy on my left who had won an invite for him and a friend through a comp on Facebook, turns out he was a follower of mine and knew of my reviews etc, yay I thought a fan lol  I met a couple of others who were followers too so that was a pleasant surprise Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Most people soon took there seats at the tables and we were on the table with Wayne Mardle, to our left was Colin Lloyds table then Dave Chisnall, I thought to myself this is weird been here with all this going on it feels strange!  Our pro finally arrived and was with his wife Donna, he shook hands and said hello to everyone on the table and introduce his wife to us.  These two guys seem just like best friends as much as they do husband and wife and nice to see really.  Wayne is just like he is on the telly a right tos......  no, no, no, only messing Wayne lol sorry!  I think it was great we had Wayne at our table, he has a natural jovial charisma and is very quick witted and you can tell he just loves to entertain and is very friendly and sociable with it but when he wants to be serious he is also very interesting to talk to.  I think Target have done a good thing to sign him really and I am sure he will be a big success for them.  Looking forward to his darts when they come out too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Wayne and Donna at our table:

There was various screens and speakers around the area and as you can see we are very much inside a warehouse Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That's Lloyds head on the left of the pic lol, and Chizzy further forward

After a few minutes Dan Dawson announced what would be happening and then he introduced James Tattersall to take the floor and give the main presentation of the new range of products and also to talk a little about Targets vision and thank all the people involved.

He also mentioned about the factory they own in China and of all the latest high tech equipment they have bought to make all the new types of grips they have brought to market in recent years.

A nice touch was that the MD of the factory in China and the lady who was the Quality Control manager (I think) were here at the launch too.  I seen these folks later and felt a bit sorry for them as they seemed a bit lost and bewildered, I wanted to go over and talk to them but I thought if they don't speak English they may not understand my Teesside accent and think I am being rude or something lol.

Anyway James did a very professional and well spoken speech, no way would I have liked to go up there and have to say the words "Trapezoidal" and others like it, so well done James Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I have posted a video below of the bits with the Elysian and Vision 360 talks:

Once the presentation was over we were all handed goody bags, woohoo!!!! That was great and very much appreciated!  Also the first match of the Pro Am comp got underway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My stomach was feeling more iffy by now and was getting flushes of temperature but had a quick rifle through the goody bag as below:

It was announced that the sample area was open and we could go check out the products and have a throw of some in the practice area.  So we got up and I thought I would do just that as well as stalking... I mean talking to a few pros and various other folks.  I think it was around this time I was approached by another fellow baldy lol, Jaimie aka the cookster who had come down from Manchester and was another comp winner from DC forum.  Good meeting you mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here is some pics of the sample area of all the new items on display:

Mike was particularly fond of the hoodie and said he could not wait to get one and hang out with the local kids:

There was also a few screens around the area showing all the recent launch vids and pics:

My nephew having a throw with the new darts and the Vision 360:

I had a quick look at all the new stuff and was very taken with the new Elysian darts although disappointed they were in a box but I understand why.  It may have been better to have one sample barrel on display and a member of staff controlling its viewing, I would have like to have held it to see what they felt like.  By this time there was a lot of people throwing the darts in the practice area so I just inspected a few and never threw any but thought I would come back later when it gets a little less busy.  Well I did go back later on the day and by the time I did nearly all the darts were gone!  I was told that people will have nicked them!  A bit shocking and disgraceful if that was the case.  I mean ok, Target can probably afford to miss a few but that's besides the point, if you invite someone to a party at your house and they steal something you would not invite them back, I would not even hold another party, so not good. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I chatted to a few people in the practice area and also met Gary Taylor from DC and was good to meet him too.  While I was there I recorded Darryl Fittons throw in slow- motion:

I was glad I did that as I thought he was a rear gripper and was surprised that the Fitton darts I have reviewed but not uploaded yet worked well with my front grip.  Darryl is another very nice guy by the way, it is quite amazing how approachable and friendly they all are.  Also had a chat with Danny while talking to his relative Tony O'Shea another nice and funny guy.  I was surprised that they all seemed shorter than they do on TV though?

While I was there I also videoed Mike "The Collector" Cowell (mc1958) in slo mo too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I went to do a bit more stalking, dammit! I mean talking to people and had a brief chat to Keith Deller, very friendly once again and then came back to the practice area to catch Wayne Mardle in action, he was blowing darts at the board so I asked him to do it again so I could catch it on video, he said he would aim for double 10 and he got it second dart!!! How the hell does he do that?

Here it is and that is Gary Taylor asking him about his ability on the vid:

then I done a slow-mo of his throw:

Then it was time for the Pro Am match everyone was waiting for Taylor and Taylor V Mardle and Buttery:

What a match! well done to Lee who threw well and also my nephew Bryan who was very consistent.

It was around this time I got a pic with Mr T but its awful of me so I am not posting it, looks like someone has stuck a pineapple up me backside!  So here is a pic of him with another fan:

I really doubt I could be so happy and smiling all the time with people clamouring you for autographs and pics, I would be a right grumpy so and so lol!  He looked shorter in person too, my TV must be faulty?

After a while the Hog Roast was ready for the eating!!! Yay I thought, get some food in my stomach and I will feel better. 

So I went to queue for me meat and was talking to the Target designers while there.  He asked what I thought of the Vision 360, I said it looks good but I thought it was too close to the board and was not sure about the lights been so visible from the sides.  I told him I had reviewed the Home-Pro and asked if he had heard of it, he said no but I think his expression said "oh its the review guy and yes I have seen that"  unless I was reading him wrong, but not trying to nit pick and was just giving my honest opinion here.  He said they had spent a lot of time tweaking it and getting it just right so it did not cast shadows and it was now at or near the optimum position.  I said I will probably get one and fix it to my stand instead of the wall.  It wont work on a stand he said, ???? its on a stand now I thought?  Well it will he said but it is best on a wall.  I am not sure how its fixed but I don't think it will be as quick to set up as the Home-Pro.  Anyway off to my table with the Hog Roast bun and crackling, yummy!

After eating that I felt much worse though, dammit!

My nephew and Wayne were called up for their next match and Bryan played awful, was not the same player at all with some very poor scores.  Needless to say Wayne and Bry lost and Wayne said it was the Taylor affect, you play well against him then you play bad lol!

Eventually the final took place and once again team Bunting won it and there was a nice trophy too:

I was feeling a lot iffier by then and thought I would try a cup of tea but no hot water left so had a diet coke instead, it seemed to help a bit and felt a bit better after about 10 mins, wonder what is in that stuff?  While I was stood at the refreshment area I was chatting with Mike, Danny and Lee and we were all talking about what a great day it was and giving our thoughts on the products.

It was time then for us to say our good byes and my nephew gave me a lift to Kings Cross, the first time I have ever been to London!  Never got to see it properly though but man there is some crazy drivers there!  It is like people are driving as if there is no one else on the roads, its unreal!  The cyclists are just as bad, no wonder so many get killed.

Eventually we got to Kings Cross station and my nephew pulled up and I got out, a slight feeling of dread came over me as I said goodbye as I had to rely on my crappy eyesight to make sure I got my train right.  Lots of people were milling about and bumping into each other as they were trying to get where they were going as quick as possible.

Once I got in the station I was pleasantly surprised and very much relieved to see everything so clearly signposted and a great display indicating exactly what train was where etc, phew! even I can see that well enough Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  While in there I looked for the toilets and saw they were a long walk down the other end and wondered if I had time to get there.  So I went and saw to spend a penny you first had to spend 30 pennies in the turnstiles, what!, oh bugger!!  I thankfully found some change in my pocket and put it in the machine 4 times before getting fed up at it rejecting the coins and trying another turnstile, first attempt on that one, yay!!!

On the way back I saw what the big crowd of people were doing previously, it was Harry Potters Platform 9 and 3/4, so took a quick pic:

Walked back up to the display boards and nearly got decapitated by a rogue pigeon or was it Harrys Hedwig?, must have flew one inch away from my face, I could almost taste it.  That's all I need now!

Soon got on my train and was heading my way home first to York then Darlington (home of the worlds first railway) and then I phoned my brother in law to pick me up.  Eventually got home at 9:15 PM to be happily greeted by Rocky wagging his little stumpy tail and looking at me as if to say where have you been?  After a quick fuss he decided to give my Target Goody bag a quick sniff stuck his nose inside and had a few more sniffs then looked at me as if to ask "Where is my squeaky toy?"  I never got you anything I said, so off he trotted in a mini sulk.  I made a cuppa and thought I would do a quick check on forum then off to bed, was still there at 12am and eventually went to bed but could hardly sleep at all.  The excitement and buzz from the day and all the thoughts and ideas from seeing all the pros and everything was too much, so I never got much sleep at all.

The End! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My thoughts of the products and the day:

As I have already said in various posts around here and social media I think the Elysian darts look great and I really want a set.  I think Target showcased them more to show off their skills at machining an awesome looking dart and creating a luxury style product that will only be owned by an exclusive few.  Some of the features mentioned to emphasise its quality are not unique to just them though. 

I am talking about the precision weight matching, its already been done for years on the Asian market and just look at how many sets of the Bulls Fighter darts I have had all perfectly matched.

The time taken to make, the Voks Overlord take 15 hours plus and they were also perfectly matched in weight.

But its only minor points to make on what is a very good and very well made dart although when I first seen it on the screen I thought it was a new Phil Taylor dart, it is very similar in style.

But Target on the whole have produced a very high level of quality throughout their range and the Elysian seems to be the flagship model to show that off.  Some of its elements will filter down to future designs and I wonder if they will make any money from the Elysian?  A dart that takes so long to make with all that extra accessories and packaging and to only sell 200 sets surely cant be making them much of a profit?  Also the marketing of it and the development costs and so on. So I don't  think it is the intention to do that and more like I said to showcase their abilities for design and manufacture but did we need to know what we already know?

200 steel tip darts sold for £275 = £55000, a lot of money, but not directly going to them as that will be tax and the retailers margin etc so I cant see it being done just for profit, its just not a viable product for that reason.  So I think that gives an indication that they are trying and succeeding at bringing something new and special to darts for future products, so hats off to them for that and I am looking forward to see what comes of this.

Having said all that I think its a little strange to base a new launch around a dart that will only sell to 200 people. 

Anyway on to the other darts that were shown.  Of them all my faves were definitely the Taylor 8 zero black with the scallop at the front, these felt very nice in my grip, I was just annoyed they were gone when I went back to try them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Also love the look of the Lewis Gen 3 I think I will like those when I get chance to try them too.

The Pyro Vex, hmmm, they look lovely but not sure about that Vex grip, it felt kind of bumpy but not in a good way and was almost slippy.  I think the previous Pyro are much better really.

The new Carrera darts looked good but I never got a try of those so cant comment.

I think the new Phil Taylor shirts look great and also the new Cool Play shirts but not sure on the hoodie, not my thing that.

I like the new vision flights and I'm sure a lot will be pleased with the new Taylor flights but they don't suit my throw so not much good for me.

As for the new Pixel Grip stems again they look really good but I just think grip on a stem is pointless as there is not many people who grip that part, I know some do, but as you can see from our poll its a small amount, we had 266 replies so far and only 5 say they grip the stem: https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php?tid=2801  they sure look good when on the darts though, so I may just buy them for looks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The top spin stems are quite good but I'm not such a fan of the alloy tops or alloy stems, I heard Larry loves them though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Same applies with the Grip stems, I think its not that there is anything wrong with them, they look fine and no doubt work well but its what your into in your own preference really.

The new sizes in the pro grips is an interesting development though and I think tinkerers will like that and its kind of good for more advanced players who are looking to tweak their set up a touch more, but will probably just add extra confusion to beginners.

The new Pro Grip Spin look good too and I would likely be interested in trying these but they are much the same as the L-Style silent spin.

As for the Vision 360, well it looks good and works well but I think it needs some tweaking before release so I am not going to say too much until I know what the full retail unit will be like but I will say at this moment that I prefer the look and visual contrast of the Home-Pro at present.

So not a lot if anything wrong with most of what was shown on the day.

My only disappointments of the day itself was that I did not get to speak to more of the pros and take pics with them, I did not get some more slow- mo vids but these are my own problems, my problems from the Target side was that there was no Adrian Lewis there, where was he as they said he was not there last year either?
There was no demonstration on the machines which a lot people said there would be and one thing I was really looking forward to seeing.  Lastly that we could not handle the Elysian darts.

So not much at all to complain about and a great deal to be completely chuffed to bits and over the moon with!

Overall it was bloody marvellous!

Sorry for such a long post! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice one Darren - great write up of the day.

Re the machines one of the ladies there showed us the laser machine in operation, but the person that normally does all that was not in - I think he may have been on holiday somewhere.

I actually enjoyed looking at that slo-mo of me - it's not as bad a throw as I thought it would be - even Mr T commented on it down the pub in the evening, so it can't be too bad lol.

If you get an invite again next year I would suggest trying to get a room at the local travelodge for the night - then you can go down the Plume with them - great little pub and nice to see them all in a very relaxed atmosphere (even if at least one of them did over indulge lol)
On the pic after your Elysian/Vision 360 vid, the two people on the right hand side talking to James are Sue and Wayne Williams from the BDO board - wonder whether they are looking to change sponsors from Winmau to Target??
(08-01-2015, 09:30 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Nice one Darren - great write up of the day.

Re the machines one of the ladies there showed us the laser machine in operation, but the person that normally does all that was not in - I think he may have been on holiday somewhere.

I actually enjoyed looking at that slo-mo of me - it's not as bad a throw as I thought it would be - even Mr T commented on it down the pub in the evening, so it can't be too bad lol.

If you get an invite again next year I would suggest trying to get a room at the local travelodge for the night - then you can go down the Plume with them - great little pub and nice to see them all in a very relaxed atmosphere (even if at least one of them did over indulge lol)

its a pity as I would have loved to see them doing some work on them.

Thanks Mike, yeah you have a good throw, you can tell why some people are just good at darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Good idea on the Travelodge, I hope I do and will definitely do that if I do Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-01-2015, 09:32 PM)mc1958 Wrote: On the pic after your Elysian/Vision 360 vid, the two people on the right hand side talking to James are Sue and Wayne Williams from the BDO board - wonder whether they are looking to change sponsors from Winmau to Target??

Yeah I noticed that too, hmmm????

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I know I live in Essex, but if I'm invited back next year then I think I'll book the travelodge just so I don't have to rush about London late at night
Good review and a deserving recipient.
(08-01-2015, 09:37 PM)mc1958 Wrote: I know I live in Essex, but if I'm invited back next year then I think I'll book the travelodge just so I don't have to rush about London late at night

Makes sense but they are not cheap, about £80 a night

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-01-2015, 09:38 PM)rabsmith2 Wrote: Good review and a deserving recipient.

Thanks Séan Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great narrative, Darren!

It's almost like being there, minus the tactile feel and of course, the goodie bag! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Great job! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
An awesome day. I'm so jealous that they don't have things like this in the USA. Things like this is what gets people excited about darts. I'm excited and I live thousands of miles away Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(08-01-2015, 09:51 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Great narrative, Darren!

It's almost like being there, minus the tactile feel and of course, the goodie bag! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Great job! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks Chris, sorry but I cant provide the sensations, you will have to wait for windows 36 for that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(08-01-2015, 09:54 PM)Cyanide Wrote: An awesome day. I'm so jealous that they don't have things like this in the USA. Things like this is what gets people excited about darts. I'm excited and I live thousands of miles away Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yes it was great and would love to go again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Darren

Well done my friend and thanks for taking the time to put it on the site I enjoyed it very much.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Mugs AwayGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Bret
Dart Teams: Nighthawks 13 time FWDA City Champions and 14 time MDA City Champions.
Current Team: Tonnage 2 time FWDA City Champions

https://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bret1...t=3&page=1

Current Darts: 
Back Up:
Was good you got to go as you do a great job of your reviews . So your review of the day was of the same quality . It's good to see how the other half live Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.. Get the pic of phil taylor with you and the pineapple postedGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows 2021 Product Launch 3rd November mc1958 89 5,905 02-03-2021, 08:25 PM
Last Post: RedHat180
  Recieving extra product in the mail CrashG96 19 564 01-28-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: thet
  Mission Darts 2021 Product Launch - 20th November mc1958 89 4,907 12-22-2020, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  Unicorn 2021 Product Launch mc1958 166 12,714 12-21-2020, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Nucky
  Target Launch November 27th 2020 YoungStarDC 56 5,412 12-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
Information Target Launch 30/09/2020 YoungStarDC 134 9,631 10-13-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Red Dragon PRO CUSTOM FIT DARTS - EXPERIENCE Gooddark 2 504 03-28-2020, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Swiss or R2 point experience? Bill Costlow 10 567 12-13-2019, 04:29 AM
Last Post: MontMozart
  Target Launch: 8th of November vanJupp 72 5,959 11-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Last Post: rich345
  Winmau 2020 Product Launch mc1958 77 5,547 10-30-2019, 02:34 AM
Last Post: CalixNL