Harrows Darts.

What is rhythm?
Hi folks wondering if anybody can offer some advice. It's been said to me a couple of times that I have no rhythm when I throw. But I have no idea what ppl mean or how to create a rhythm can anyone help?
Think of rhythm as timing. Like a metronome or a drummers beat .. you just know when the next beat is going to strike.

The best way to develop it is to do the same thing every time. Create a regular routine.

After you stand in you spot on the oche the Rhythm begins.

1) Grab you dart hold it in the same manner
2) Raise your arm in ready aim position
3) Pull back, thrust forward, release follow through
4) Repeat

If you have to do math, have to move along the oche for your next target or dont know which target to aim next .. this all disrupts your rythm

Developing a rhythm helps immensely in muscle memory ... it just does it intuitively after a while

" I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Bruce Lee
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
A Fluid, consistent, repetitive Motion of the Forearm going Backwards and Forwards on the same line and extending the same follow-through after each release.
Cheers pal. I do the same action everytime but it's the power I can't judge at getting the same. I also find that my dart swerves from right to left sometimes and I don't know why.

Haha anyman that quotes Bruce lee knows what their on aboutGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If you have not joined up the flight school you can do so here

Flight school will teach you your stroke and rhythm and so much more about the game----the practice drills will show you great improvement in just a few weeks as you follow the program...

A good way to work on your stroke and rhythm is to throw 100 darts at bull, do a few rounds of that and keep score.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Also do not worry about hitting the bull, the idea is to get all your darts into a group close to the bull.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Alright Dartsnutz, don't hate me for this. Crap, it always seems like I'm bashing something. Not my intention at all. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But rhythm is something that most cricket players DON'T develop. Wait, wait, let me explain before you guys get mad...

While playing cricket there's a lot of starting and stopping. you check the scoreboard to decide if you should point the crap out of the opponent, go for the hero dart, or close a number. There's also a TON of moving around the oche. Unlike 01 where you can go for a cover shot, you can't do that in cricket. If you need an extra 19 there's no switching. You HAVE to move to force a dart in around a blocker dart. This moving all around the oche disrupts rhythm.

Go ahead and watch some cricket players next time you're out and about. Lot's and lot's of standing around the oche and long waits in between turns. Now compare that to what we all see on the PDC circuit. Most all the players have great rhythm. Even if they're slow players they still have rhythm.

Look at Justin Pipe even. He might throw slow but it's always consistent. Certainly not pausing. Bang, bang, bang... retreive the darts and get out of the way. Then look at MvG. Without a doubt the best rhythm player we've ever seen. He knows what he wants to shoot at and knows all options well before he steps to the oche. The best counter in the game hands down. You'll rarely see him pause on the oche. The only time he does is when he's forced to stay on the 20's or when he's going around a blocker dart on the doubles.

Simply put, rhythm is getting into that zone. Just playing darts without putting any thought into it. No pausing, no stopping just throwing. Ask yourself... when you have 54 left for example. Do you throw a big fat 14 to leave 40 then step back and take a deep breath? That stepping back is breaking rhythm. Stop doing it! If you're confident you'll go right at it, you KNOW you're going to hit it. Stepping back and taking pause means "hey, I'm nervous here. I need to compose myself." or... "am I rushing? do I need to slow down?"

One of the best examples I can give is Dave Chisnall. And yes, I study videos. I don't watch them, I study videos to try and learn new things. Anyway, Dave Chisnall. A great rhythm player. During the 2015 PL he was playing great. he would hurry up to the oche and attach his finishes. He KNEW he was going to hit them. He played some of the best darts we've ever seen. Great rhythm. But pay attention to the matches he lost. He has this weird bad habit of standing at the back of the stage waiting to throw when it's his turn. He's trying to "compose himself" or whatever the hell he's doing, who knows. Fact is, he's breaking his rhythm and just standing there like a toolbag. Watch some videos. When you see him do this he misses a LOT! Like a lot a lot.

So to wrap this rant up. To develop great rhythm play a bunch of 501 best of 9 or 11 matches. With friends or online, doesn't matter. Learn your outs and stop pausing or stopping while it's your turn. Know what you're going to do BEFORE you step to the oche. You don't have to throw fast. Go at your own pace but stay in rhythm. Rhythm doesn't equal speed. And work on developing that pace with ALL games you play. Let that pace carry over to cricket and watch how high you MPR average climbs.

The end. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-30-2015, 04:46 PM)Black Dog Wrote: If you have not joined up the flight school you can do so here

Flight school will teach you your stroke and rhythm and so much more about the game----the practice drills will show you great improvement in just a few weeks as you follow the program...

A good way to work on your stroke and rhythm is to throw 100 darts at bull, do a few rounds of that and keep score.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers man I have tried to sign up for flight school but I can't figure out how to sign up lolGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-30-2015, 04:33 PM)smithshane05 Wrote: Cheers pal. I do the same action everytime but it's the power I can't judge at getting the same. I also find that my dart swerves from right to left sometimes and I don't know why.

Haha anyman that q uotes Bruce lee knows what their on aboutGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Your elbow moves, this used to drive me insane. As it came very consistent and with tight groupings into the fat five bit. Still workimg on it..
(07-30-2015, 05:59 PM)smithshane05 Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 04:46 PM)Black Dog Wrote: If you have not joined up the flight school you can do so here

Cheers man I have tried to sign up for flight school but I can't figure out how to sign up lolGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

If you sent your info George will get back to you...
Rhythm.... a comment on the timing between shots. If you have rhythm , the timing is consistent. If you do not, the timing between shots is random. You can have rhythm like this: shot, 1,2 shot 2,3,4, shot, it does not have to be shot 1,2 shot 3,4 shot, but it generally is something along those lines.

The rhythm player has the advantage that he can repeat his previous shot without really thinking too much about it.

A pure target shooter that has no rhythm usually takes his time to set up each shot and can end up throwing 3 darts in 3 different ways. That makes consistency harder to achieve. Not impossible, just harder to automate.
Some good answers here already, so nothing for me to add, good stuff guys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers for all the help folks. Good job I found this forum so many questions lolGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You're right Cy, those Cricketeers have no rhythm at all Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Rhythm: Family planning technique that requires disciipline or self control.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rhythm codo180 5 337 01-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  Ever Changing Rhythm LethalEagle 15 1,029 10-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Last Post: DAVEISTHENAME
  recovering your rhythm jamman 9 420 09-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: jamman
  Developing a rhythm Carpy 2 385 08-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Jefferz