Harrows Darts.

Physical warm up / workout
As title says, do any of you guys have any particular type of workouts / warm ups before you start playing. Do you pay attention to strengthening / working on your joints / arm etc ?

Just curious as in every sport i have practiced, fitness and training went hand and hand, be it for strength, agility or coordination.
usually 30 min warmup and a couple of beer
(07-26-2015, 11:31 PM)Gadasoft Wrote: As title says, do any of you guys have any particular type of workouts / warm ups before you start playing. Do you pay attention to strengthening / working on your joints / arm etc ?

Just curious as in every sport i have practiced, fitness and training went hand and hand, be it for strength, agility or coordination.

Good question

I have found it crucial to have a good upper body stretch before and after a session.

Cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

I do some Tai Chi warm ups.
I usually just show up to league night and throw lol. But sometimes Ill stretch out my arms so they arnt so tensed up when throwing
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I like to put on a Slingshot and bang out 315 for 12 reps on the bench press. Then I'm ready for some darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I do some upper body stretches, concentrating on the arms, shoulders and neck, but stretch the full upper body too. I also try to keep physically fit (not marathon runner fit, but in reasionable condition) as I find this helps with mental alertness and stamina for longer sessions
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

At home, just throwing at the board stretching the arm out while doing the A2 exercise. Then pick up A2 again before competition.

The key in my game is to not tense up the throwing arm while shooting -- keep it supple and follow through to that target -- meaning complete the stroke. So, I try to complete the stroke during warmup at home first, and continue to complete it and keep it supple during games.

When it gets too tense or too loose performance suffers. There is a point in between that I call supple that allows me to complete the throw that gives best results.

I know that is not how everyone throws, but being supple is my goal. So, before all of that, I stretch the shoulders up against a wall and pull the elbow across the chest in the opposite direction. 30 seconds each direction, 3 repetitions.

Should probably do something about the lower back too....
As said above, a little stretching to loosen up can be helpful. I used to shoot for half an hour to an hour before going into league nights and I found that helpful, too. I found that one thing to be careful of with that is to not shoot too much before the competition begins. I did that a couple times, shot myself out and did badly at league night.
I like to keep the warm ups down to a minimum of 15 minute blocks. That keeps the mind from getting worn out. I cannot shoot for 2 hours and go play. Not as young as I used to be....
Depends on the circumstances. When at home I'll warm up with some general non specific throwing around the board to loosen up my arm prior to starting a practice routine. Prior to a match I like to loosen up in view of opponent, so they observe me not hitting, apparently, anything. Just a little misdirection.
That is a bit odd.... so if you are hitting in warmup, does that put you at a disadvantage?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a few of my warm up/practice routines mcockrell 11 3,209 03-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Last Post: mcockrell
  Pre game warm up skewthrow 18 4,676 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Milkysunshine