Harrows Darts.

tuning question
So I have recently changed my set up from a medium shaft and slim flight to short shafts and standard flights. I love the improved control but am getting a lot more defections it seems. I don't necessarily want to go back to spinners as I have used those in the past. Would a dimplex slim flight give me an advantage with the deflection and maybe still give me a bit more stability than a smooth slim flight? Basically trying to have my cake and eat it to.
Don't change anything on the set up because of deflections. If you are playing 501 and your Trip 20 is covered, choose Trip 19 or Trip 18.

In my case (I being right handed) I stand a little bit on to the right side of the oche. Not directly straight facing the board.

You might want to give it a try.
Try a set of Storm points maybe?
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

Good advice from Majeek- Maybe try a smaller flight like Pears or super Kites.
(07-26-2015, 05:18 PM)AD18 Wrote: Try a set of Storm points maybe?

Was just going to say this. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Sorry, lack of info guys. Soft tip player. I am probably worrying to much about this. Not like it happens every throw but that bullseye area seems to shrink when I have 2 in it and am trying to get the third in. I most likely should just drop it to the trip 19's. But you know us soft tip players are bull addicted and don't live in the trips like steel tip players.
Thats when you throw the exact same shot as before ,,, soft tip it counts ,, even if it dosen't stick ,, slam the dart in the bull with the next dart ,, ,,,
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
YEah, by decreasing stem length, the darts are probably coming in at a sharper downward angle causing the deflections. With a medium stem, the darts might be coming in flatter and glancing off the other dart but still sliding into place.

The larger flights are definitely an issue too.

Maybe try intermediates/tweenies....see if that gives you the accuracy you like but more of a flatter trajectory.
Also consider "shape" standards. It's a standard flight that's slightly smaller (the edges are angled in a bit).
https://www.a-zdarts.com/Category/Flight...Shape.aspx

I normally use full size standards in steel tip but threw with the shape size last night for a tournament. I noticed fewer deflections and only a tiny change in stability. It's a nice compromise of slightly smaller size but with similar stability as a standard.

Some of my favorite "Shape" Standards are Target Vision or Harrows Marathon. You can tell in the pictures when looking at the edges...if they slightly angle inward = shape.
Examples....
https://www.a-zdarts.com/Category/Flight...ision.aspx
https://www.a-zdarts.com/Category/Flight...athon.aspx (the solid colored versions are great....the red/blue/white/black versions. Nice durable matte finish)
(07-26-2015, 05:14 PM)majeek Wrote: Don't change anything on the set up because of deflections. If you are playing 501 and your Trip 20 is covered, choose Trip 19 or Trip 18.

In my case (I being right handed) I stand a little bit on to the right side of the oche. Not directly straight facing the board.

You might want to give it a try.

Nicely said, will also improve your adjustment consistency. Hitting T19 & T18 on a cover is a Primary stepping stone to a higher standard.

I also though recommend being persistent with Slims.
Yes - slam the bulls. Even soft tip pro players experience deflections in the bulls area. Electronic boards record non sticking bulls hits anyways.

Why change setup?
When I changed from short to medium shafts, I gained an entire dimension of control, flight path regularity and control of the angle at which darts ended up in the board. Go figure.
This is simply the proof that you are now finding the right set up as you are throwing every dart the same hence the deflections. This is actually good progress so I shouldn't worry too much. Of course the bigger the flight the more chance of deflections but I feel it's more to do with the end of the barrel more so, as a flat end dart seems to not pass the flights so easily whereas a tapered dart does. I use Harrows Quiver Stems and you can cut them down to any size you wish and as the name suggests they are very flexible so I have fewer deflections as the dart flight you hit moves out of the way allowing the thrown dart to pass more easily with minimal deflection. Try them and see how you get on I really like them and you can replace the tops too so they are very economical with the budget so keeps the Mrs happy.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.[/php]
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-26-2015, 05:48 PM)Deuce Blue Wrote: Sorry, lack of info guys. Soft tip player. I am probably worrying to much about this. Not like it happens every throw but that bullseye area seems to shrink when I have 2 in it and am trying to get the third in. I most likely should just drop it to the trip 19's. But you know us soft tip players are bull addicted and don't live in the trips like steel tip players.

Ah, that makes a big difference. In soft tip your dart sticks perfectly straight out of the board no matter it's angle of entry. When I played in a large soft tip league the people using standard flights was in the minority and the reason being was a lot of deflections and bounce outs. The majority of soft tip players I saw used a slim flight including myself.

If you watch some Dartslive streams you'll notice a lot of the players using some sort of smaller sized flight. When the dart protrudes straight out of the board a standard flight blocks things out. The total opposite of steel tip. Where a standard flight will help make a dart stand up in the board. Like Anderson, Lewis, Wade or MvG. The large flight acts as a guide for the next incoming dart.

That being said, some soft tip players use standard flights quite well. I can use Stephen Bunting as an example but he's also a world class player and not the 'norm'. I guess if you're getting a boatload of deflections I would say change flights. Because in soft tip darts the angle of entry and how a dart ends up in the board really isn't a factor at all.