Darts Buddy

Beat by someone that should never beat me....
Oh, that smarts.

Could not control the mental game at all. Threw away 8 match darts.

This is a skill I used to own.... now, I panic. WTF?

Does anyone else do this? How did you fix it? I've never had this issue before....
(07-22-2015, 06:27 AM)BigE Wrote: Oh, that smarts.

Could not control the mental game at all. Threw away 8 match darts.

This is a skill I used to own.... now, I panic. WTF?

Does anyone else do this? How did you fix it? I've never had this issue before....

(07-22-2015, 06:27 AM)BigE Wrote: This is a skill I used to own

And you will again, just not today. This happens to us all so don't sweat it----So what happened?.....You went in overconfident and when you missed you were unable to overcome your missed shots because you questioned yourself. It has been said in the flight school stuff that,"I've hit this before many times so I can do it now. Why Not"? Well if you panic You're going to fall apart at the Oche. Loosing is part of becoming a winner, at darts you will lose at times, you must understand that no matter how good you think you are, You will lose and lose badly at times. It happens so you must simply take it in stride because the next match you will have worked hard in practice and feel good about your throwing.

Do not let a bad night mess you up.

You are a hard worker in this game, so get back at it and next match do your best and care less about winning and more about playing the game your way.

You Will do better your next match.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
This happens to everyone, even the pros as we have seen on tv the last couple of days.
The more matches you play and the more you get used to the pressure situations the easier it becomes to control the emotions and hit the winning double.
It will still happen every so often where you will miss chances, but if you can recognise at the time that something is not quite right, you can refocus yourself and give yourself a better chance of hitting the double. This will come with match practice and experience.
Therefore, just play as many matches as you can and learn from each one
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Adrian Lewis got beat by Gerwen Price yesterday in the 2nd round of the tournament at Blackpool. Price is a former rugby player of some note and just starting his journey in the PDC for the last year or so from what I've seen and he beat a 2 time World Champion.

Things like this happen to the best of them, so don't be too hard on yourself when it happens to you. Got news for you pal, it won't be the last time this happens either, so go into every game knowing you should never take anyone for granted or take your talent over them for granted and play the best you can every time. If you win, be gracious in winning and if you lose---again be gracious and congratulate them. Darts is a bumpy ride at times.
Ah cripes.... I get beat by folks that shouldn't beat me all the time.

Then I beat people that I have no right beating.... it all balances out!

Yeah, as everyone else said... totally normal in darts. It happens to everyone. The most memorable one with me was one weekend I went away to a Bullshooter regional in New York. I ended up winning everything that weekend. The singles, the doubles, and the mixed trips. It was one of my better weekends ever and walked away with over $1000.

A day later at my local league I got my butt handed to me in singles by someone I didn't expect to beat me so bad. He threw back to back 9 darters playing 301 double in/double out. I'll never forget his reaction. The kid was SO happy thumping me. I was actually happy for him as well because he did throw some great darts.

Losses are going to happen and there's nothing we can do about it except to congratulate our opponent and move onto the next one...
I don't enjoy losing. But I have to listen to what it tells me about my game.

Losing - it's like my alarm clock in the morning. Annoying, but it helps me keep my job.

Everytime I pick my darts, I try to visualize that my chances of winning is 50-50 regardless of who I am playing with. The crucial part is in my early throws - i.e. getting rid of any of the fear of losing.
Thank you gentlemen.

Yes, losing is necessary for learning. Same as in Flight School drills. As the drill gets tougher, you feel more pressure, it challenges the stroke more. You learn when you regroup.

The hard part to learn is how not to fall apart. It was a tough loss. It is good that I identified the issue as panic. I can learn to control that -- but for sure, no drinking or overthinking before the match.

It is as much about the unknown as it is about playing.... I've not been in league play for twenty years. My memory is weak when it comes to the strength of the league, and my expectations of the level of play don't mesh with reality. Obviously, this is another mental trap to fall into -- playing to your opponent.
(07-22-2015, 05:38 PM)majeek Wrote: The crucial part is in my early throws - i.e. getting rid of any of the fear of losing.

Yes.

I am not afraid of being beaten. I am afraid of giving it away -- it's a fear of failure.
Here's also some thoughts about losing.

When you lose, don't be the type known as "sour loser". Take it as a gentleman and extend a handshake before turning your back around.
(07-22-2015, 05:50 PM)BigE Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 05:38 PM)majeek Wrote: The crucial part is in my early throws - i.e. getting rid of any of the fear of losing.

Yes.

I am not afraid of being beaten. I am afraid of giving it away -- it's a fear of failure.

I 100% know what you mean but it's impossible to give away a dart match. You can't give the opponent a double. He has to earn the win. And if he earns that by taking advantage of a chance offered then there's not much you can do about it. Except learn from it.

You always hear the pro's talking about "taking their chances". They know others can play just as well as they can. So they need to be ready for any chance they get. That's a decent mindset to have imo. If you think you're "giving things way" you might have the wrong mindset? Like you're superior to these peasants who shouldn't even be on the same oche as you and when you lose it causes great disappointment.
Quote:I 100% know what you mean but it's impossible to give away a dart match. You can't give the opponent a double. He has to earn the win. And if he earns that by taking advantage of a chance offered then there's not much you can do about it. Except learn from it.

You always hear the pro's talking about "taking their chances". They know others can play just as well as they can. So they need to be ready for any chance they get. That's a decent mindset to have imo. If you think you're "giving things way" you might have the wrong mindset? Like you're superior to these peasants who shouldn't even be on the same oche as you and when you lose it causes great disappointment.

Really enjoy the thought that went into this.

Fantastic and worth replicating. Thanks
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
It happened against you this time,next time it will happen with you and stronger player will be in your place .
180-1(33)

(07-22-2015, 06:55 PM)Troll Wrote: It happened against you this time,next time it will happen with you and stronger player will be in your place .

Troll do you believe in time travel? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I believe in everything even in my bad English
180-1(33)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  advice to beat a bad day! JP Ahinko 7 426 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: JP Ahinko