Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

DNA Andersons in Vinegar 22-07-2015
Star 
Soon this week i put DNA Andersons in Vinegar to get a broken point out

here to see my other barrels i repaired with the Vinegar trick
may all the doubles be with you

You're a brave man Fred.
Not sure if I would have the nerve to do that.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Send it to Madhouse instead. Why take the risk of making those darts uglier?
(07-19-2015, 09:16 PM)majeek Wrote: Send it to Madhouse instead. Why take the risk of making those darts uglier?

FOR SCIENCE!

Look forward to the result fred!
MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You can try to minimize any discoloration by using a small jar (the type used for jam, mustard, etc..). Punch a hole in the center of the lid that's just large enough to squeeze/hold a dart in position. Then put vinegar in the glass, put it on a shelf where it won't be bumped, screw on the lid tight, and then slowly push the barrel through the top hole so only the broken point and just a smallest section of the barrel tip is submerged.

That way if you do get discoloration, it's minor and will only be on the first 1-2mm at most. There is no point in submerging half the dart if you only need the vinegar to attack the point. Just make sure you don't bump the glass during the process and splash vinegar all over the barrel.
(07-21-2015, 06:17 AM)Regulatori Wrote: You can try to minimize any discoloration by using a small jar (the type used for jam, mustard, etc..). Punch a hole in the center of the lid that's just large enough to squeeze/hold a dart in position. Then put vinegar in the glass, put it on a shelf where it won't be bumped, screw on the lid tight, and then slowly push the barrel through the top hole so only the broken point and just a smallest section of the barrel tip is submerged.

That way if you do get discoloration, it's minor and will only be on the first 1-2mm at most. There is no point in submerging half the dart if you only need the vinegar to attack the point. Just make sure you don't bump the glass during the process and splash vinegar all over the barrel.

Good luck with yours Fred. Sounds like this is a solid approach. Mine ain't been so good...

I have been soaking a barrel with a broken Storm point in 6% vinegar for over 7 weeks. I am getting tired of waiting. I think the problem is my dart room is dark and cool. Not conducive to rusting. I probably need to stick the shot glass up in a window.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Not sure about the percentages but I used just regular white vinegar at full strength. It dissolved a set of Storm points in 10-14 days.

I did have mine sitting in the garage...it's been awhile, not sure the temp.

Are you changing out the vinegar solution often? I know the vinegar does weaken if it's not sealed...I changed mine out 2-3x total in those 2 weeks. You should start to notice a lot of sediment type dust at the bottom of the glass...like dirt is falling off the barrel. I would rinse mine out and put fresh vinegar since I always seemed to get the most results (most rust at the particles at the bottom) during the first few days. The point will just shrink slightly ever day until it's recessing into the barrel....mine ended up falling apart inside the barrel but I took a rubber mallet to the back of the barrel and knocked the pieces out (then rinsed it out really well).

7 weeks is WAY too long....it should take 2-3 weeks tops.
(07-21-2015, 08:50 AM)Regulatori Wrote: Not sure about the percentages but I used just regular white vinegar at full strength. It dissolved a set of Storm points in 10-14 days.

I did have mine sitting in the garage...it's been awhile, not sure the temp.

Are you changing out the vinegar solution often? I know the vinegar does weaken if it's not sealed...I changed mine out 2-3x total in those 2 weeks. You should start to notice a lot of sediment type dust at the bottom of the glass...like dirt is falling off the barrel. I would rinse mine out and put fresh vinegar since I always seemed to get the most results (most rust at the particles at the bottom) during the first few days. The point will just shrink slightly ever day until it's recessing into the barrel....mine ended up falling apart inside the barrel but I took a rubber mallet to the back of the barrel and knocked the pieces out (then rinsed it out really well).

7 weeks is WAY too long....it should take 2-3 weeks tops.

Thanks for the advice. Food grade is 5%. This is cleaning vinegar @ 6%. It does a nice job cleaning the bathroom. I change the vinegar out once a week. I have dissolved a point before in 4 weeks. This is my first Storm point I have tried to dissolve. I check it often and scratch around with another point. It has receded into the barrel a small amount. I remember when I dissolved my last point it fell out in two pieces all of a sudden. I really do think I should have put it up in a window to get a little sun. 7 weeks IS too long.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Hi guys, Cleaning vinegar does not work. It's the vinegar what you put in your salads dressing

[attachment=5597]

Yeah, I was unaware of a cleaning vinegar. I just use standard food grade white vinegar.

I would have never thought that the higher percentage vinegar would be less effective though.
(07-21-2015, 06:17 AM)Regulatori Wrote: You can try to minimize any discoloration by using a small jar (the type used for jam, mustard, etc..). Punch a hole in the center of the lid that's just large enough to squeeze/hold a dart in position. Then put vinegar in the glass, put it on a shelf where it won't be bumped, screw on the lid tight, and then slowly push the barrel through the top hole so only the broken point and just a smallest section of the barrel tip is submerged.

How far into the barrel does the point go?
(07-22-2015, 06:13 AM)BigE Wrote:

How far into the barrel does the point go?

That depends on what brand barrel and type of point.
Storm points only fit 4.5mm
Red Dragons points go in +- 5mm in RD barrels.
Unicorn points in Unicorn barrels go in +-8mm

Most barrels are fitted 32mm points who stick out 26/27mm

Here we go

Broken link(s) removed

No damage after 2 weeks now

don't use the vinegar on salad afterward Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying the Broken Storm Vinegar Trick Dart Snob 33 9,215 04-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Fred-180