Harrows Darts.

Help with my throw
Sad 
Hello everyone,

this has been bothering me to an extend where i am starting to become desperate and darts is beginning to feel like a mental torture. Basically when i throw i would start with what would seem to me properly aligned shoulder / elbow / arm , then after the throw my hand would end swaying to the left with my wrist trying to what it seems compensate by twisting.

I am a former basketball player and probably used to throw with my wrist, way more than i should , but could you maybe take a look at the video i uploaded. Any advice and directions are highly appreciated.

P.S. If that matters i am left eye dominant which is why i twist my body a bit.

(07-16-2015, 01:36 AM)Gadasoft Wrote: Hello everyone,

this has been bothering me to an extend where i am starting to become desperate and darts is beginning to feel like a mental torture. Basically when i throw i would start with what would seem to me properly aligned shoulder / elbow / arm , then after the throw my hand would end swaying to the left with my wrist trying to what it seems compensate by twisting.

I am a former basketball player and probably used to throw with my wrist, way more than i should , but could you maybe take a look at the video i uploaded. Any advice and directions are highly appreciated.

P.S. If that matters i am left eye dominant which is why i twist my body a bit.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI25x8KyG8s]

Thanks for footage from a viewing perspective your style looks quite good indeed and may need just fine tuning a little.

Relax your thoughts a little about consciously trying to get an exact alignment with forearm shoulder etc as this can put some tension in your upper body. Whatever's happening your stance is not quite right for it to be a natural and relaxed position. As a result your 'after stroke' / follow through self corrects itself (if that makes sense) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

First thing to try would be changing your front foot angle in relation to the oche you may need to be more or less side on etc....importantly find a position that gives you more consistency of dart placement. Keep your wrist locked as your release ideally only your forearm should move up to the release point.
I know in basketball the wrist has a more pivotal role due to the size and weight of the ball so it's a habit you have to unlearn.

You're likely to get lots of great advice here my view may or may not be the solution "but never fear cos you'll find it here".

Cheers

P.S How long have you been playing?
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Hi Dorian,

thank you for your insight. Will try it out !
Whats happening to the darts are they hitting left or right? Your throw look pretty good to me, not a lot wrong, Dennis Priestly has quite a pronounced move of his hand when he releases and its not done him much harm Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-16-2015, 08:57 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Whats happening to the darts are they hitting left or right? Your throw look pretty good to me, not a lot wrong, Dennis Priestly has quite a pronounced move of his hand when he releases and its not done him much harm Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its really frustrating...i could make a stat sheet but i am hitting only fives and 20s, no 1s, 12s, 18s, whatsoever.LITERALLY. My darts would mostly land to the left in the 20 or right half of the five. It results in many 45s and 30s and its maddening.

I would say out of 100 throws it's like 30-40% into the five....
(07-16-2015, 09:43 AM)Gadasoft Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 08:57 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Whats happening to the darts are they hitting left or right? Your throw look pretty good to me, not a lot wrong, Dennis Priestly has quite a pronounced move of his hand when he releases and its not done him much harm Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its really frustrating...i could make a stat sheet but i am hitting only fives and 20s, no 1s, 12s, 18s, whatsoever.LITERALLY. My darts would mostly land to the left in the 20 or right half of the five. It results in many 45s and 30s and its maddening.

Pretty much what everyone has said...good action.
Maybe you are applying uneven pressure to one of your fingers during your throw. When i am warming up the darts never feel good from the get go. Too much finger action. But when i'm throwing well i have virtually no pressure on the dart. It pretty much just rests on my fingers and it just gets launched. But everyone grip and action is unique.So without knowing your grip it's a little hard to tell.
Easy game to play and a hard one to master.
(07-16-2015, 10:57 AM)Assassin Wrote:

Maybe you are applying uneven pressure to one of your fingers during your throw. When i am warming up the darts never feel good from the get go. Too much finger action. But when i'm throwing well i have virtually no pressure on the dart. It pretty much just rests on my fingers and it just gets launched. But everyone grip and action is unique.So without knowing your grip it's a little hard to tell.

It is possible, as i said basketball is something i practiced and perfected during more than a decade. There many people pointed out that i have a picture perfect stroke, however the throwing action is very different and i realize it very clear. I am trying to apply less pressure from my hand / wrist / fingers etc. however i think its going to be a slooooow process.

What worries me is how my arm ends up, instead of pointing to the target it is skewed to the left with the awkward wrist twist. And i don't know how to fix that.
Not that I really know... But my opinion is to embrace the natural motion you already have.

I spent most of last year fighting with shortening my stroke, because like you, I thought my motion was too long due to the countless hours spent perfecting my basketball shot...

Then I had an epiphany... Why mess with what is natural? If you can shoot a basketball, that means you can keep you arm on straight line through the shot and into the follow through. Why not embrace the natural basketball motion more?

I did that recently and am having more success.... My motion now is very long, but I'm finding the rhythm of the movement is comfortable and somewhat consistent, like my basketball shot or golf swing.

(07-16-2015, 11:13 AM)Gadasoft Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 10:57 AM)Assassin Wrote:

It is possible, as i said basketball is something i practiced and perfected during more than a decade. There many people pointed out that i have a picture perfect stroke, however the throwing action is very different and i realize it very clear. I am trying to apply less pressure from my hand / wrist / fingers etc. however i think its going to be a slooooow process.

What worries me is how my arm ends up, instead of pointing to the target it is skewed to the left with the awkward wrist twist. And i don't know how to fix that.
Just slowed the video down to get a better look.
I think i see what your saying.
Is it the point in your throw when the back stroke has finished you are just starting your forward motion?
Yeah, i think thats where it starts. My logic is, if i start with shoulder, elbow in a straight line to the target, they should end up in a straight line to the target. Or am i demanding too much ? One more thing is, my shoulder doesn't naturally bend into a straight position so i end up having to adjust it.
(07-16-2015, 11:41 AM)Gadasoft Wrote: Yeah, i think thats where it starts. My logic is, if i start with shoulder, elbow in a straight line to the target, they should end up in a straight line to the target. Or am i demanding too much ? One more thing is, my shoulder doesn't naturally bend into a straight position so i end up having to adjust it.

Do you have shoulder problems?
Also maybe open up your stance a bit...you seem to be shooting 3 pointers not throwing darts.
That's not a criticism. Could be adjusting sports.
(07-16-2015, 11:59 AM)Assassin Wrote: Also maybe open up your stance a bit...you seem to be shooting 3 pointers not throwing darts.
That's not a criticism. Could be adjusting sports.

It is possible, however this is what my "NATURAL" throw is. I am full aware of it and thank you for pointing it out. I will try and see what i can adjust. Am i correct in assuming that the force behind my throw should come more from the arm / elbow than the wrist ?
If you break down the physics of a proper basketball shot, it is nearly identical to a nice dart motion... just on a different plane.

Everything follows a straight line... the hand holds the dart (or ball)... the wrist and elbow move in a straight line to the target... release... and follow through

(07-16-2015, 03:45 PM)Jugger Wrote: If you break down the physics of a proper basketball shot, it is nearly identical to a nice dart motion... just on a different plane.

Everything follows a straight line... the hand holds the dart (or ball)... the wrist and elbow move in a straight line to the target... release... and follow through

That is correct, however there is alot more power involved and the throwing motion starts basicaly from your feet to end up in the wrist and the spin added through the fingers. It involves alot of struggle as it is. But i will concentrate on fixing my shoulder to not move to the left and will see from there.